UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Cardio alternatives for bodybuilders?

3K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  PSevens2017 
#1 ·
Does anyone here do some sort of cardio?

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
I have genuinely wondered this for years. A good high rep set of squats can leave you breathless for a couple of minutes but is it cardio or is it simply the body just trying to recover from an extremely anaerobic event? Would be interesting to know the amount of calories burnt during say a set of 20 med/heavy squats and what that equaled in time on a stationary bike.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I do kettlebell work, Bag work, tyre flipping and sled pull/push (my fave), and sometimes do the cosgrove complex sets. Lastly I do 3 sets of this-15 ohp with a kettlebell, 15 body squats, 15 press ups, then again but 14, then 13, 12, 10 and work down to 1.

Depends how I'm feeling as to which of the above I do. Oh! Also do regular walking every day, normal pace.

occasionally swimming but not so keen on that.

I'm not a bodybuilder by the way, I just like training.

#15 ·
I take my dogs for walks.

Usually a couple of miles at a time, maybe 3 times a day depending on the weather. Sometimes 5-6 miles round the local forest park if the weather is suitable.

If the weather is really bad and they refuse to move I have been known to use the bikes at the gym but indoor cardio is a last resort.

#18 ·
strongman cardio is the best cardio .. not just for strongman either, I'd encourage anyone to give it a go .. it makes cardio more fun and you're still working the muscles with heavyish weights

farmers/frame carries, duckwalks, sandbag carries, super yokes, arm over arm pulls, loading medleys .. etc

#19 ·
strongman cardio is the best cardio .. not just for strongman either, I'd encourage anyone to give it a go .. it makes cardio more fun and you're still working the muscles with heavyish weights

farmers/frame carries, duckwalks, sandbag carries, super yokes, arm over arm pulls, loading medleys .. etc
Strongmen are fat though. Not a good selling point for walking around the gym like you're trying to keep a slippery turd from escaping your over-stretched anus.

#35 ·
If Turkish Get Ups aren't your thing then you can try a KB complex. This is the other type of workout I do. To be specific I do Strong First Total Tension.

Again, start the workout by warming up.

Then you do 10 sets of 10 KB swings against the timer.

Then you move on to the complex.

The complex consists of 3 movements.

A pulling/ rowing movement

A pushing/ pressing movement

A squat/ leg movement.

1 rep is completed once you've done all 3 movements.

But here's the caveat, you work up in a pyramid/ ladder with minimal rest between sets, biasing one movement of the 3 movements.

For this example we will assume you're biasing the squat.

Set 1 - 1 pull (KB clean), 1 press (strict KB press) and 1 leg (goblet squat).

Set 2 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 2 goblet squats.

Set 3 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 3goblet squats.

Set 4 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 4 goblet squats.

Set 5 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 5 goblet squats.

Set 6 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 6 goblet squats etc.

You keep on going until you can't do any more. It might not seem like a lot on paper, but by the time you get to say the 6th set you would of actually done lots of reps.

Once you get to the top you gotta work back down to the bottom......

Set 7 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 5 goblet squats.

Set 8 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 4 goblet squats.

Set 9 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 3 goblet squats.

Set 10 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 2 goblet squats.

Set 11 - 1 KB clean, 1 strict KB press and 1 goblet squats.

#36 ·
All the above may sound complicated but it's really not mate. If I can do it anybody can. Let me know if any appeal to you and I'll try and get a better info to you.

Failing that, there's always YouTube.

KBs are described as doing yoga with weights. Whether you adopt soviet training or not you'll feel great after a few weeks, comrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.