Sign in to follow this  
hmgs

BBC salaries...

15 minutes ago, TERBO said:

Truly annoys me... I also begrudge paying over £13 a month for some weird TV tax :angry:

I knocked my licence on the head. Unless you use BBC iPlayer or watch live TV you don’t need one. With the exception of the BBC, you can watch live shows an hour later on their catch up services. 

3 minutes ago, MrDB90 said:

I knocked my licence on the head. Unless you use BBC iPlayer or watch live TV you don’t need one. With the exception of the BBC, you can watch live shows an hour later on their catch up services. 

I thought everyone was stitched up with the rules... basically having internet access means you must pay whether you own a TV or not.

Would love a way out of it!

When don’t I need a licence to watch TV?

You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

This applies to any provider or device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder.

I'll never forget the summer holidays as a kid.  Every day my dad would leave for work, and say the same thing, "whatever you do, don't answer the door".  :D Just in case it was the TV licence people.  My dad has always earned a good wage, he just did not want to pay those bastards a penny.

I know a couple of people who work at the BBC - one of them a head of a department - and they both told me that the majority of rank and file working at the BBC would love the license to be abandoned in favour of a subscription based approach and sales of programs and services abroad. Apparently they all feel it would make a very good business. 

18 minutes ago, TERBO said:

I thought everyone was stitched up with the rules... basically having internet access means you must pay whether you own a TV or not.

Would love a way out of it!

Nope. You only need the licence if you watch live TV or watch anything on iPlayer. If you can do without both, you can cancel. 

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one 

8 minutes ago, MrDB90 said:

Not sure I follow, sorry. 

I accidentally clicked 'submit' before I'd finished typing and you quoted me before I completed my question.

Thanks for the info anyway... guess I'll have to weight it up as do occasionally watch other channels live.

19 minutes ago, TERBO said:

I've quoted from the same site, didn't just make that up :lol:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ99

So if I pull the aerial out the tv and say I don't watch BBC on my phone or laptop, they'll be fine with that?

Will they check, can they check??

Yes. If you have a smart TV just say you only watch apps like YouTube etc, and or TV on catch up(no BBC Iplayer) ,  if it ever gets to the point where they want you to demonstrate what you use your TV for.

Don't need to let them in unless they come with the police. But unless you live in a place where the police literally have fook all to do, this is highly unlikely.

These days they know they're really pushing their luck from a legal standpoint trying to force people to pay their BS licence. So they don't do much to enforce it anymore. Just rely on the sheeple that pay it without question. 

1 hour ago, BUFFMAN said:

I'll never forget the summer holidays as a kid.  Every day my dad would leave for work, and say the same thing, "whatever you do, don't answer the door".  :D Just in case it was the TV licence people.  My dad has always earned a good wage, he just did not want to pay those bastards a penny.

What happened next! I can’t wait to find out?????

54 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

I know a couple of people who work at the BBC - one of them a head of a department - and they both told me that the majority of rank and file working at the BBC would love the license to be abandoned in favour of a subscription based approach and sales of programs and services abroad. Apparently they all feel it would make a very good business. 

Yeah I know the guy who owns the BBC and John loggiebaird!

6 hours ago, MickeyE said:

Yes. If you have a smart TV just say you only watch apps like YouTube etc, and or TV on catch up(no BBC Iplayer) ,  if it ever gets to the point where they want you to demonstrate what you use your TV for.

Don't need to let them in unless they come with the police. But unless you live in a place where the police literally have fook all to do, this is highly unlikely.

These days they know they're really pushing their luck from a legal standpoint trying to force people to pay their BS licence. So they don't do much to enforce it anymore. Just rely on the sheeple that pay it without question. 

This isn’t true. Even if they come with police so what. Under what legislation have the police to enter your home check your viewing arrangements 

If BBC didn't pay their presenters the market rate, they'd all move to ITV or Sky or to the US altogether

Do you want 6th form work experience kids presenting all BBC flagship shows?

12 hours ago, MrDB90 said:

Been doing this for a while now, never had an issue with the TV licence people. Don't think I'll ever pay for one as most shows on normal TV channels are rubbish and most things end up on Prime or Netflix  anyways. 

11 hours ago, KETONES said:

What happened next! I can’t wait to find out?????

Yeah I know the guy who owns the BBC and John loggiebaird!

Well, as I was a teenager, the second he shut the door and went off to work, the dirty magazines were out :D

10 minutes ago, BUFFMAN said:

Well, as I was a teenager, the second he shut the door and went off to work, the dirty magazines were out :D

Then what happened!!!!

5 hours ago, Tricky said:

This isn’t true. Even if they come with police so what. Under what legislation have the police to enter your home check your viewing arrangements 

"In what circumstances can TV Licensing access my property without my permission?

TV Licensing can only enter your home without your permission if authorised to do so under a search warrant granted by a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). A magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland) has discretion to grant a search warrant for authorised persons to search premises suspected of illegal activity in respect of TV licensing. It is an offence to intentionally obstruct a person exercising the warrant (see section 366(8) of the Communications Act 2003). TV Licensing will be accompanied by the police when executing a search warrant."

@Tricky

They can legally enter with the police and a warrant. I've seen a few vids where they have done so with the police and they basically ask you to demonstrate how you use your TV.

I've seen some where the occupant lets them in but refuses to demonstrate anything and just insists they don't watch live TV or anything from the BBC.

And I've seen others where the occupant  just showed they have a games console or whatever plugged into the TV and say that's all they use the TV for.

Personally if it ever came to it and they turned up with a warrant and the police, I would just switch the TV on go to YouTube app and say that's all I watch.

But these days it's more than highly unlikely they will ever turn up with police. As they know they're really on very shaky ground legally speaking and don't really need any more bad publicity resulting from forcing entry into people's properties.

They know there's still millions of lemmings that will just pay it without question. 

2 hours ago, Malin said:

If BBC didn't pay their presenters the market rate, they'd all move to ITV or Sky or to the US altogether

Do you want 6th form work experience kids presenting all BBC flagship shows?

How about the BBC just stands on it's own 2 feet like ITV/SKY etc.

Raise money from advertising and or optional subscription fees.

Any entertainment service that has to force people to pay to subscribe to it in order to survive, can't be worth a [email protected] in my book.