Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hmgs

BBC salaries...

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, MickeyE said:

How about the BBC just stands on it's own 2 feet like ITV/SKY etc.

Raise money from advertising and or optional subscription fees.

Any entertainment service that has to force people to pay to subscribe to it in order to survive, can't be worth a [email protected] in my book.

How about no?

Imagine having Ray Winston shouting at you to ave a bang on it every 10 minutes during MOTD ad breaks, I'll stick to paying my license fee, thank you very much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Malin said:

How about no?

Imagine having Ray Winston shouting at you to ave a bang on it every 10 minutes during MOTD ad breaks, I'll stick to paying my license fee, thank you very much

Ray Winston can f**k right off I'm the fu**ing daddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My girlfriend lives in a first floor flat and hasn't had a TV licence for years - she says they send standard letters with a direct debit form attached to you every so often because they know that household hasn't got a licence but you just ignore the letters and that's it - she's never had a visit from the authorities and watches TV and BBC Iplayer every single day. 

Not saying that this would work for everyone but I think she gets away with it for the most part because she's in a flat in a fairly rough area and the police have better things to do.

Knowing my luck if I tried it in my area they'd come down on me like a ton of bricks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TERBO said:

I thought everyone was stitched up with the rules... basically having internet access means you must pay whether you own a TV or not.

Would love a way out of it!

 

Just simply don't pay it. Never have,  never had anything happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Malin said:

How about no?

Imagine having Ray Winston shouting at you to ave a bang on it every 10 minutes during MOTD ad breaks, I'll stick to paying my license fee, thank you very much

You don't have much regard for freedom of choice then?

You'd fit in well in N Korea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MickeyE said:

You don't have much regard for freedom of choice then?

You'd fit in well in N Korea!

You do have a choice - don't watch TV, instead stick exclusively to streaming services like millions of people do in the UK already, this way you don't have to pay the license fee.

North Korea ffs :lol: What's your view on Brexit btw, I bet you're over the moon UK are finally escaping evil clutches of those nasty unelected European bureaucrats and becoming fully sovereign nation again :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JHMuscle said:

My girlfriend lives in a first floor flat and hasn't had a TV licence for years - she says they send standard letters with a direct debit form attached to you every so often because they know that household hasn't got a licence but you just ignore the letters and that's it - she's never had a visit from the authorities and watches TV and BBC Iplayer every single day. 

Not saying that this would work for everyone but I think she gets away with it for the most part because she's in a flat in a fairly rough area and the police have better things to do.

Knowing my luck if I tried it in my area they'd come down on me like a ton of bricks. 

Years ago, I'd just moved into a new house. Probably been there a couple of months but hadn't bothered getting round to sorting the TV license. Sat watching TV one afternoon, knock on the door. TV license chap, "have you got a TV, as we have you on record as not having a license" Couldn't really get away with that one. As you hear the neighbors theme tune in the back ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Malin said:

You do have a choice - don't watch TV, instead stick exclusively to streaming services like millions of people do in the UK already, this way you don't have to pay the license fee.

North Korea ffs :lol: What's your view on Brexit btw, I bet you're over the moon UK are finally escaping evil clutches of those nasty unelected European bureaucrats and becoming fully sovereign nation again :rolleyes:

So if I own a TV and want to watch (live) ITV, C4, SKY or any other channel, I'm legally obligated to pay the BBC £300 a year for the privilege, even if I have no intention of watching BBC.

You call that freedom of choice? 

How about if Tesco started charging an annual levy on people for shopping at any other supermarkets between the hours of 9am - 4pm.

Following your logic , I guess you'd also call that freedom of choice as we all have the choice not to shop between 9 and 4.

Don't see how it's relevant but I voted to remain in the EU for the sole reason that I didn't believe the EU would agree to continue free trade with the UK post brexit. 

But as soon as the referendum was over, I was fully in favour of the result being acted upon.

If free trade is not interrupted I think being outside of the EU is an advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MickeyE said:

So if I own a TV and want to watch (live) ITV, C4, SKY or any other channel, I'm legally obligated to pay the BBC £300 a year for the privilege, even if I have no intention of watching BBC.

You call that freedom of choice? 

How about if Tesco started charging an annual levy on people for shopping at any other supermarkets between the hours of 9am - 4pm.

Following your logic , I guess you'd also call that freedom of choice as we all have the choice not to shop between 9 and 4.

Don't see how it's relevant but I voted to remain in the EU for the sole reason that I didn't believe the EU would agree to continue free trade with the UK post brexit. 

But as soon as the referendum was over, I was fully in favour of the result being acted upon.

If free trade is not interrupted I think being outside of the EU is an advantage. 

Ok, let me put it this way, this isn't about choice of what you as an individual want, it's about what majority of the population who remain in favour of paying for TV license want and I'm sure you understand that will of the people needs to be respected.

I'm not saying BBC is flawless but people clearly value the quality of its broadcasting without need of chasing for TV ratings as well as editorial independence and lack of commercial advertising.

Out of curiosity, why are you paying nearly £300 when the TV license is just over half of that amount?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Malin said:

Ok, let me put it this way, this isn't about choice of what you as an individual want, it's about what majority of the population who remain in favour of paying for TV license want and I'm sure you understand that will of the people needs to be respected.

I'm not saying BBC is flawless but people clearly value the quality of its broadcasting without need of chasing for TV ratings as well as editorial independence and lack of commercial advertising.

Out of curiosity, why are you paying nearly £300 when the TV license is just over half of that amount?

THREE QUARTERS of people want the BBC licence fee to be scrapped, according to a damning new survey.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1222094/bbc-tv-licence-fee-public-first-poll

Yeh apologies for misquoting the amount the TV licence, I'm not that familiar as I've never paid it! 

But however much it is, it's still too much when there's no choice in the matter. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MickeyE said:

But however much it is, it's still too much when there's no choice in the matter. 

 

Of course there's a choice. The license enables you to watch certain things. Don't watch those things and you don't need a licence. Not that different to Netflix -  don't pay you don't watch. Not sure why you think you have no say in the matter or have to use big bold letters to mistakenly shout you have no choice in the matter. You seem a bit over-passioned for something you say you don't buy anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

Of course there's a choice. The license enables you to watch certain things. Don't watch those things and you don't need a licence. Not that different to Netflix -  don't pay you don't watch. Not sure why you think you have no say in the matter or have to use big bold letters to mistakenly shout you have no choice in the matter. You seem a bit over-passioned for something you say you don't buy anyway.

Not really, Netflix don't try to charge me for watching ITV, SKY etc etc.

Whereas the BBC attempts to charge me for watching live ITV, SKY etc.

 Not something I spend too much time thinking about TBH as I don't pay it. But I do think it's an absolute liberty that I'd supposedly be breaking the law if I decided to switch my TV on to watch live ITV . Which of course I wouldn't do, as that's a load of sh1t too! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had a TV license for years now. I used to get visits , but I am at work all the time so they just put a card through.  I get the usual letter every now and then " this is your last chance to pay before court  ect " lol. The letters are always addressed to The Householder and they don't even know my name despite me having owning and lived here for years.  My credit score is excellent , it doesn't affect me one bit not having one. I refuse to be a sheep ( no disrespect to anyone who pays for one ) and  follow the flock putting revenue every year in there pocket.  I just thought a good few years ago , fek it I ain't paying for this scam no more and just literally stopped and never acknowledged anything from them ever again. Plus East Enders has gone sh1t anyway since dirty den went missing lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't payed a TV license in around 15 years at least.

Never communicate with TV licensing, if anyone shows up at your door, simply say no thank you and close it. They must have a warrant and the police there to enter without your permission, however the court will only grant a warrant if they can provide reasonable proof that you have a TV (believe it or not). The more you communicate with them the more information they have to give to a court to try and get said warrant.

Since they're a private company, if you see them peering through your window etc.. call the police on them, it's no different to anyone else trespassing. 

There's such a thing as implied right of access laws. Which is what allows the postie etc.. to come onto your property legally to carry out their work. You can remove this access in England by sending them a letter. In Scotland you can't just outright remove it, you have to put a physical and easily visible sign up saying that their not welcome on your land. If they enter after seeing this then again it's trespassing and if they do it repeatedly you can take them to a civil court for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never payed the tv licence in my life and had lots of letter that go straight in the bin and one person knocked the door who handed me a letter telling me they are investigating. I just said ok and shut the door and the letter went in the bin without even opening it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×