Sign in to follow this  
Youdontknowme

Potato chipper!?

Can anyone recommend one? I must go through 10kg of spuds a week, all hand balled! fu**ing wank job! 

food prep is the worst bit of this whole hobby for me , so I’m trying to make life a little easier, Will also be getting one of those acti fry things , anyone know how many kilos of chips you can get in em?

i currently chip 2.5kg of spuds, little bit of fry light on them, some mixed herbs and salt sprinkled then they take like 40 mins in the oven and I need two runs as can only get half of them on two oven trays! Box them up and weigh out as needed , rinse and repeat 3/4 times a week. 

Not the answer you were looking for but what about buying frozen chips. Not oven chips, the ones specifically for putting in a deep fat fryer. They are pretty much just chipped potatoes.

1 minute ago, Endomorph84 said:

Just leave the skin on.

Can get 1kg of suds in my air fryer. 

I do leave the skin on lol , still a balls ache. 

5 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Not the answer you were looking for but what about buying frozen chips. Not oven chips, the ones specifically for putting in a deep fat fryer. They are pretty much just chipped potatoes.

ive not seen them, are they unadulterated?

Aunt Bessie french fries are 2.7g fat per 100g if I remember correctly. Give those a go. Not as cheap as DIY chips.

You could get a food processor and use the thick slice option to slice them like potatoe  dauphinoise

14 hours ago, Youdontknowme said:

ive not seen them, are they unadulterated?

It’s been a while since I bought any as I binned our deep fat fryer after it packed up and we just go the chippy instead these days. If I recall correctly they do have a small amount of oil added which I presume is for preservation or possibly to stop them sticking but when they thaw they do look more like raw potatoes. Check next time you go supermarket. Asda did sell them. I don’t think I’ve seen them in Aldi or Lidl.

14 hours ago, Bensif said:

Aunt Bessie french fries are 2.7g fat per 100g if I remember correctly. Give those a go. Not as cheap as DIY chips.

You could get a food processor and use the thick slice option to slice them like potatoe  dauphinoise

I’ll check out the second option cheers. I’m following a set out plan at the minute and building up my own knowledge on nutrition. However until I do I don’t want to deviate so probably best sticking with diy chips. The plan is working so not a good time to try and change things up! 

On 16/09/2020 at 8:49 AM, Youdontknowme said:

I’ll check out the second option cheers. I’m following a set out plan at the minute and building up my own knowledge on nutrition. However until I do I don’t want to deviate so probably best sticking with diy chips. The plan is working so not a good time to try and change things up! 

You tried sweet potato wedges mate taste awsome.

Cut into wedges put in a bowl

Fry light so the herbs stick.

Salt,pepper,paprika,chilli powder if you like it spicy,chives,garlic granuals,onion granuals.

On a baking tray gas mark 6 for 25 minutes :thumbup1:

1 minute ago, Restless83 said:

You tried sweet potato wedges mate taste awsome.

Cut into wedges put in a bowl

Fry light so the herbs stick.

Salt,pepper,paprika,chilli powder if you like it spicy,chives,garlic granuals,onion granuals.

On a baking tray gas mark 6 for 25 minutes :thumbup1:

I have never tried sweet potato in my life! Haha! Might have to give this a try though sounds nice, and wedges require less cutting than chips so time saved! 

Just now, Youdontknowme said:

I have never tried sweet potato in my life! Haha! Might have to give this a try though sounds nice, and wedges require less cutting than chips so time saved! 

You've missed out mate.takes 5 minutes to prep a tray full :thumb

Got another one for sweet poatato as well if you like mash and depending on your portion sizes can scale it up.

1 large sweet potato cut into small chucks.

2 carrots cut into small chunks.

2 tablespoons of red lentils.

Veggie stock cube

400ml boiling water.

Knob of butter in a pan put carrot and lentils in for a minute keep stirring then add the sweet potato veggie stock cube and 400ml boiling water.

Simmer for around 15- 20 minutes.

Strain the stock but keep a bit back for puree.

Put into food processor and add a few tablespoons of stock,puree until smooth.

Started off doing it for the baby but it's that nice i used to eat half of it haha.goes lovely with steak and veg pal