neverminder

What's up with manlets bringing their girlfriends to gym?

On 13/09/2020 at 8:40 PM, daringhorse said:

Fairly negative topic mate to say you're boasting about attending an expensive gym like you're living the dream, like a full blown narcissist. It's not a big deal but you're trying to be a big cheese in a place full of other people trying to be the same thing, but apparently you're doing things right, correct? And they are not being proper humans, but you are, right? Welcome to the rat race buddy where people will resort to anything to think they are sent from above to live a superior life to everybody else. Funny I say that, can't you see the irony?

It kinda takes away your point. I think the reason is because you are paying a lot of money to go to a gym that not very many people can afford to go to. So that means that the people you are probably around will be middle/higher-middle or upper class folk, or stupid irresponsible poor people who spend their hard earned wages on trying to be socially superior, who to you seem strange and alien but to their own brethren are just like normal people like you and I. So it's either you accept the fact that you're not going to get average run-of-the-mill people attending a £170 per month gym, or you find somewhere that is more up your street. Either way I'm guessing because you boasted about being in such an expensive gym it's not something that is bread and butter for you and you're doing it to look cool and rich so if that is the case this should be a wake-up call for you to see how many other people go about living out their lifestyle choices who are not cut from the same cloth as you. If you don't like it why are you trying so hard to fit in and spending £170 per month when it's going to be obvious that the demographic you will get there will be different to what you will find at much cheaper gyms?

If anything it's you who is the weird one because you're talking like you're not the same as these people yet you're trying so hard to prove that you are able to live such a lavish lifestyle and be as cool as them. Doesn't add up to me. I'd drop the act and come down a few pegs and be around your own kind of people. Or I'd suck it up and accept this is how life is for many people who genuinely do the live the life you're trying so hard to replicate, at least that seems to be the case when you're all in the gym together.

Well, this whole philosophical wall of text was completely unnecessary.

Funnily, people usually cherry pick and focus on things they themselves feel insecure about. You focused on price, which wasn't the main subject, I only mentioned it to support my statement that these guys are obvious beta bucks. I went to dirt cheap gyms in the past, but right now it just so happens that this one is the closest decent gym to where I live, that's all there is to it.

11 minutes ago, neverminder said:

Yeah it's pretty steep, but this gym is one of the biggest in the world, it has something like 24 squat racks. That's right, imagine never having to wait for a squat rack. Ever.

I go and workout whenever I want, unlike my residential gym is booked up weeks in advance.

Just join 'The Gym' for £13.99 per month. One squat rack in my local one and I've had to wait for it exactly 0 times in the last 2 years. 

The only annoying thing is, when I tell people my gym costs £13.99 per month they don't seem to be really impressed about how successful I am DAMMIT!! 

44 minutes ago, neverminder said:

Well, this whole philosophical wall of text was completely unnecessary.

Funnily, people usually cherry pick and focus on things they themselves feel insecure about. You focused on price, which wasn't the main subject, I only mentioned it to support my statement that these guys are obvious beta bucks. I went to dirt cheap gyms in the past, but right now it just so happens that this one is the closest decent gym to where I live, that's all there is to it.

Completely necessary for me, that's why I wrote it. I didn't write it for you, I wrote it for myself with the intention of it being communicated to you. I just think it makes you a bit of douche attacking people who probably identify with the place you visit more than you do. It's like attacking goths for going to goth concert. If you've ever lived in a city you'll see people deliberately aim to live closer to those places so they can be around those kinds of environments. That is their life, their choices. That's what they choose to do with their life. It only becomes a problem if they impede on you being able to live your life. I see people of all styles and variations but I also know I don't have to purposefully find myself in places they identify with. I would look past it, especially when it's you who is making a conscious decision to go there when you could easily go to other gyms. You are trying to change other people, or at least trying to believe you somehow know how people should be like all the while spending £170 a month on a gym membership which gets you around those very people you evidently don't like and don't want to be around. That sums you up more than it does them. That's ALOT of money to spend to NOT be satisfied. Makes you wonder who is really insecure after all. All that money spent and you're still yearning for something more.

Seems like you're causing your own problem. And it obviously is a problem otherwise why would you feel the need to talk about it? And I'm not insecure, especially not about money. Money as many people have said over the generations, the root of all evil. When you see what it can do to people when they have A LOT of it, and I've been around many people on £50-60k+ a year jobs living in houses worth 500-700k+, you see that at the center of themselves, is nothing. Just lost souls trying to shout out to the world how accepted and validated and worthwhile their lives are. All they have is material things. They have nothing inside of them to match up to that.

@daringhorse

The average UK earnings figure is £35k p.a. You think people who earn £50k all lose their soul!!? Do you think people earning £50k even consider themselves very successful!!? Almost all experienced doctors, head teachers, millions of normal people with good qualifications and a decent level of experience. All lost souls!? 

Money is not the root of all evil. Pricks with money are often bigger pricks but they are pricks in spite of their money, not because of it. 

I work in finance and I can tell you some of the wealthiest people you walk past in the street, you would never know. They are humble and live normal, non lavish lives. 

There are loads of rich balls bags but equally as many poor ball bags. People just aren't jealous of the poor ones, so don't bitch about it.

I do agree though that the OP is massive tit for going to that particular gym full of people  he evidently can't stand to be around!!

8 minutes ago, IainF said:

@daringhorse

The average UK earnings figure is £35k p.a. You think people who earn £50k all lose their soul!!? Do you think people earning £50k even consider themselves very successful!!? Almost all experienced doctors, head teachers, millions of normal people with good qualifications and a decent level of experience. All lost souls!? 

Money is not the root of all evil. Pricks with money are often bigger pricks but they are pricks in spite of their money, not because of it. 

I work in finance and I can tell you some of the wealthiest people you walk past in the street, you would never know. They are humble and live normal, non lavish lives. 

There are loads of rich balls bags but equally as many poor ball bags. People just aren't jealous of the poor ones, so don't bitch about it.

I do agree though that the OP is massive tit for going to that particular gym full of people  he evidently can't stand to be around!!

Median disposable income is £29,000 or thereabouts last time I checked. We are seeing marked improvements based on wages in FYE 2018 and 2019. Mean income is around the mark you suggested though.

I think money is a good candidate for being the root of all evil. It is at the center of most peoples issues, even those who so much of it, but for different reasons. And I think basically, yes, lots of people (not all people) lose their souls through the pursuit of money. You can't say they were douchebags before they started that journey because often than not the journey of life itself turns people into douchebags and how they respond to it. Some would have been but life would have corrupted them to some extent into believing the journey they were taking was true to who they were because they were told from family, friends, loved ones, culture etc.
It's all echoed throughout our society in the prevelance of myriad social issues, many that stem from employment factors, work stressors etc. Look at the rates of mental illness in the Western world. Social disparity is caused through wealth being reshuffled to the richer while the poorer get poorer. Social class is based solely on money being a determining factor yet it also divides the country and even the world. Our entire social structure is built around money and people are marginalized, demonised, segregated because of it.

When you have animals like humans trying to get all the shiny things you have trouble. Just replicate my theory by experimenting with chimpanzees to put any doubt to bed whether what I'm saying is true or not. But are the chimpanzees with all the shiny things the happiest? No. The alpha male in any scenario is the most insecure because he knows sooner or later he will be challenged and potentially killed by the next up-and-comer. Even when you're not talking about such social hiearchies you still are talking about an animal clutching onto something with desperation in order to believe in that moment he's got what everybody else doesn't have. But what has he got? Before long you see society needs more than people clutching to their material wealth in order for it to be work. Yet that's what we have, people clutching to jobs, money, fame, fortune etc but behind it there is a massive hole.

59 minutes ago, daringhorse said:

Median disposable income is £29,000 or thereabouts last time I checked. We are seeing marked improvements based on wages in FYE 2018 and 2019. Mean income is around the mark you suggested though.

I think money is a good candidate for being the root of all evil. It is at the center of most peoples issues, even those who so much of it, but for different reasons. And I think basically, yes, lots of people (not all people) lose their souls through the pursuit of money. You can't say they were douchebags before they started that journey because often than not the journey of life itself turns people into douchebags and how they respond to it. Some would have been but life would have corrupted them to some extent into believing the journey they were taking was true to who they were because they were told from family, friends, loved ones, culture etc.
It's all echoed throughout our society in the prevelance of myriad social issues, many that stem from employment factors, work stressors etc. Look at the rates of mental illness in the Western world. Social disparity is caused through wealth being reshuffled to the richer while the poorer get poorer. Social class is based solely on money being a determining factor yet it also divides the country and even the world. Our entire social structure is built around money and people are marginalized, demonised, segregated because of it.

When you have animals like humans trying to get all the shiny things you have trouble. Just replicate my theory by experimenting with chimpanzees to put any doubt to bed whether what I'm saying is true or not. But are the chimpanzees with all the shiny things the happiest? No. The alpha male in any scenario is the most insecure because he knows sooner or later he will be challenged and potentially killed by the next up-and-comer. Even when you're not talking about such social hiearchies you still are talking about an animal clutching onto something with desperation in order to believe in that moment he's got what everybody else doesn't have. But what has he got? Before long you see society needs more than people clutching to their material wealth in order for it to be work. Yet that's what we have, people clutching to jobs, money, fame, fortune etc but behind it there is a massive hole.

I am confident that if you ever make it just into the top 20% of earners you will still not feel rich and you will still be largely the same person you are today. 

I can tell you, if I was given the choice between something 'shiny' that I could show off, I don't know, a wanky watch or similar vs a fabricated piece of steel that will sit iny garage gym for only me to see and use....I'm taking that gym equipment. 

I see your point about alphas being insecure but I don't think it is accurate in the correct sense of the word. An alpha is by nature confident, reliable, emotionally stable. They know they will be replaced one day but do not live in fear of the fact. They are secure enough to accept it is part of life.

I'm sure there are plenty of instances in nature (I'm not posting up links, Google if you like but from memory it is very common amongst primates, wolves and lions) where an emotionally unstable, violent or erratic male ousts the current alpha through physical force. He thinks he is on top but the females go behind his back and mate with other males in the group - they are only interested in passing on good genes to their offspring, not the traits of the new alpha who they do not trust to look after the best interests not the group. This type of alpha usually has a very short lived time at the top and in lions in particular the females of the group are often known to help a new and trusted male, take out the current alpha if his behaviour is to the detriment of the group or their young. f**k female lions commonly kick out an alpha who is becoming aggressive to cubs in an effort to attract new alpha suitors. They would rather have no alpha than an emotionally unstable/insecure one.

It's not simple and there is a spectrum of alpha to beta and I suspect no one sits perfectly right at on end or the other.

What the f**k am I doing here......this is Uk-muscle, let's stop this reasoned debate....I f**ked YOUR MUM, I WIN!!!

7 hours ago, neverminder said:

Yeah it's pretty steep, but this gym is one of the biggest in the world, it has something like 24 squat racks. That's right, imagine never having to wait for a squat rack. Ever.

I go and workout whenever I want, unlike my residential gym is booked up weeks in advance.

Here’s a thought, go and train legs with another exercise as part of leg day while waiting for squat rack to become free in gym for £35 a month..... or do you only do squats?? 

just seen the link. Canary Wharf. Right in the heart of the city. Perfect fir midday training and back to work. Ridiculous price though. Do you work near there? 

8 hours ago, IainF said:

Just join 'The Gym' for £13.99 per month. One squat rack in my local one and I've had to wait for it exactly 0 times in the last 2 years. 

The only annoying thing is, when I tell people my gym costs £13.99 per month they don't seem to be really impressed about how successful I am DAMMIT!! 

I am thegym.co.uk too.

Never had a problem.

9 hours ago, neverminder said:

24 squat ranks are quite tempting tbf.  I can do as many bb curls for as long as I want.  

8 hours ago, daringhorse said:

Completely necessary for me, that's why I wrote it. I didn't write it for you, I wrote it for myself with the intention of it being communicated to you. I just think it makes you a bit of douche attacking people who probably identify with the place you visit more than you do. It's like attacking goths for going to goth concert. If you've ever lived in a city you'll see people deliberately aim to live closer to those places so they can be around those kinds of environments. That is their life, their choices. That's what they choose to do with their life. It only becomes a problem if they impede on you being able to live your life. I see people of all styles and variations but I also know I don't have to purposefully find myself in places they identify with. I would look past it, especially when it's you who is making a conscious decision to go there when you could easily go to other gyms. You are trying to change other people, or at least trying to believe you somehow know how people should be like all the while spending £170 a month on a gym membership which gets you around those very people you evidently don't like and don't want to be around. That sums you up more than it does them. That's ALOT of money to spend to NOT be satisfied. Makes you wonder who is really insecure after all. All that money spent and you're still yearning for something more.

Seems like you're causing your own problem. And it obviously is a problem otherwise why would you feel the need to talk about it? And I'm not insecure, especially not about money. Money as many people have said over the generations, the root of all evil. When you see what it can do to people when they have A LOT of it, and I've been around many people on £50-60k+ a year jobs living in houses worth 500-700k+, you see that at the center of themselves, is nothing. Just lost souls trying to shout out to the world how accepted and validated and worthwhile their lives are. All they have is material things. They have nothing inside of them to match up to that.

You schizophrenic bro?

My gym is filled with cybex, nautellius and a f**k ton of hammer strength kit and is only £10 a month

I don't believe you pay that much no fu**ing way. even if you're rich your still a dumb f**k 

6 hours ago, PSevens2017 said:

Here’s a thought, go and train legs with another exercise as part of leg day while waiting for squat rack to become free in gym for £35 a month..... or do you only do squats?? 

just seen the link. Canary Wharf. Right in the heart of the city. Perfect fir midday training and back to work. Ridiculous price though. Do you work near there? 

Yeah that's where I live. From a perspective of someone who lives in central London I don't really understand why people are getting all worked up about the price. It's the reality of London. My previous gym was Virgin which was about £100 a month and it was lightyears away from the quality of Third Space, but it was literally 3 minute walk door to door for me.

Many years ago I lived out in the sticks myself and attended one of the "underground" gyms in some old converted factory that had 100 kg dumbbells and was £30 a month.

5 hours ago, neverminder said:

Yeah that's where I live. From a perspective of someone who lives in central London I don't really understand why people are getting all worked up about the price. It's the reality of London. My previous gym was Virgin which was about £100 a month and it was lightyears away from the quality of Third Space, but it was literally 3 minute walk door to door for me.

Many years ago I lived out in the sticks myself and attended one of the "underground" gyms in some old converted factory that had 100 kg dumbbells and was £30 a month.

Fact it has a climbing wall there as well and is fairly new right? 

I was working up in CW as well a couple of years ago. Tasty clientele & lots of money. £170 in the scheme of things is not overpriced for CW. I would have a moral issue paying that. Maybe because I’m tight. I would rather pay £90 a month for unlimited classes at  Roger Gracie/Carlson Gracie London/London Shootfighters but that’s just me. 

I was considering Virgin over in Wimbledon a few years back only because I worked in Wimbledon. £120 a month and s**t reviews online put me off. Again, that amount of money, for me, is much better invested in somewhere that teaches bjj/judo/Muay Thai etc and has weights/cardio area and gets you fitter (Mentally & physically) than gyms do. 

8 minutes ago, PSevens2017 said:

Fact it has a climbing wall there as well and is fairly new right? 

I was working up in CW as well a couple of years ago. Tasty clientele & lots of money. £170 in the scheme of things is not overpriced for CW. I would have a moral issue paying that. Maybe because I’m tight. I would rather pay £90 a month for unlimited classes at  Roger Gracie/Carlson Gracie London/London Shootfighters but that’s just me. 

I was considering Virgin over in Wimbledon a few years back only because I worked in Wimbledon. £120 a month and s**t reviews online put me off. Again, that amount of money, for me, is much better invested in somewhere that teaches bjj/judo/Muay Thai etc and has weights/cardio area and gets you fitter (Mentally & physically) than gyms do. 

You sound like a virgin

19 hours ago, IainF said:

I am confident that if you ever make it just into the top 20% of earners you will still not feel rich and you will still be largely the same person you are today. 

I can tell you, if I was given the choice between something 'shiny' that I could show off, I don't know, a wanky watch or similar vs a fabricated piece of steel that will sit iny garage gym for only me to see and use....I'm taking that gym equipment. 

I see your point about alphas being insecure but I don't think it is accurate in the correct sense of the word. An alpha is by nature confident, reliable, emotionally stable. They know they will be replaced one day but do not live in fear of the fact. They are secure enough to accept it is part of life.

I'm sure there are plenty of instances in nature (I'm not posting up links, Google if you like but from memory it is very common amongst primates, wolves and lions) where an emotionally unstable, violent or erratic male ousts the current alpha through physical force. He thinks he is on top but the females go behind his back and mate with other males in the group - they are only interested in passing on good genes to their offspring, not the traits of the new alpha who they do not trust to look after the best interests not the group. This type of alpha usually has a very short lived time at the top and in lions in particular the females of the group are often known to help a new and trusted male, take out the current alpha if his behaviour is to the detriment of the group or their young. f**k female lions commonly kick out an alpha who is becoming aggressive to cubs in an effort to attract new alpha suitors. They would rather have no alpha than an emotionally unstable/insecure one.

It's not simple and there is a spectrum of alpha to beta and I suspect no one sits perfectly right at on end or the other.

What the f**k am I doing here......this is Uk-muscle, let's stop this reasoned debate....I f**ked YOUR MUM, I WIN!!!

Still not convinced. The reality of the world speaks volumes. It's just a case of having enough experiences in life which bring you closer to collective trauma of society and how it is destroying itself and the world around it for the pursuit of what many chase to be realized for what it is. For that to happen people have to be willing to go to places they've never been and that is to the depths of their mind where they see how f*cked up they are. And there are plenty of people who come back from those experiences telling people to go the opposite way. You have some of the richest people on the planet saying it. You have songs, films, books on it.

When you're caught up in the illusion it seems it's the only truth there is.