Sign in to follow this  
BUFFMAN

Worst job you ever had?

When I was a teenager I worked at Kerry Foods.  Utterly soul destroying! Was working on a conveyor belt, packing sausage rolls into boxes!  Absolutely horrendous, you were treated like a robot, always told to pack faster, the second a machine broke down, they had you sweeping up, barely getting time to catch your breath.  I remember I used to start at 8am every morning, one time one of the machines had broken down, so we were sent on lunch at 8:30, then having to work the rest of the day without a break afterwards.  It was just absolutely s**t, and I wouldn't wish the place  on anyone.

Never forget the day I left that place, genuinely held my head up high as I left the building.  Some of the weirdest people I've ever met worked at that place.

Worked in a Seafood factory as a teenager. Forklift would deliver a pallet of boxed prawns which I then had to slam on the floor like you would a medicine ball in order to break them up before pouring into a hopper which then glazed them & finally packaged them into bags ready for boxing up. Did that for an 8 hour shift. Sometimes the forklift driver of the day was a pr.ck & would purposely drop the pallet too far away, often a bag would split when you slammed it which was always your fault. Sometimes the Supervisor was a pr.ck and would turn the speed of the machine up which meant you had to work much faster otherwise the glaze would freeze over the conveyor belt. No daylight in the factory & you permanently stank of fish. F.ckin horrendous job which made me study harder so I never had to do it for a living.

Kitchen porter, constantly being told to work faster, all sharp knives and dirty s**t off peoples plates you have to wash in scalding water without gloves and all for minimum wage

Community service (painting railings and doors on estates) was honestly better than KP even taking into account I didn't get paid for it

Quorn factory when I was 18 had to cycle a 16 mile round trip as I didn't drive at the time plus had no lights on my bike so cycling home after a 2pm till 10pm shift was an experience in itself.

Lasted about 6 weeks until one day i was riding to work in torrential rain nearly crying haha turned round halfway there and wrapped in..utterly soul destroying and can't stand the smell of it now.the wife's a veggie as well and eats it "here taste this" she says...."f**k off I'd rather eat a scab off a dog's arse" 

Worst was some electronics place putting components into circuit boards. So unbelievably boring. 

Only managed 2 weeks until I found something else.

1 hour ago, BUFFMAN said:

When I was a teenager I worked at Kerry Foods.  Utterly soul destroying! Was working on a conveyor belt, packing sausage rolls into boxes!  Absolutely horrendous, you were treated like a robot, always told to pack faster, the second a machine broke down, they had you sweeping up, barely getting time to catch your breath.  I remember I used to start at 8am every morning, one time one of the machines had broken down, so we were sent on lunch at 8:30, then having to work the rest of the day without a break afterwards.  It was just absolutely s**t, and I wouldn't wish the place  on anyone.

Never forget the day I left that place, genuinely held my head up high as I left the building.  Some of the weirdest people I've ever met worked at that place.

Lunch at 8-30am. Fcuking cretins. Would’ve slapped the cnut in the mouth whoever ordered me to do that. What region was this in? 

4 minutes ago, PSevens2017 said:

Lunch at 8-30am. Fcuking cretins. Would’ve slapped the cnut in the mouth whoever ordered me to do that. What region was this in? 

You’re so angry hun, need a release?

6 minutes ago, TALBOTL said:

You’re so angry hun, need a release?

As soon as Buffman tells me which region this was in, road trip. Gonna hunt down the ‘lunchtime at breakfast time’ dude so I can deliver some back door retribution..... release impending! Thanks tho, bae xx 

Call centre when i was 16

3 hour shift but felt like 9. Had to call people selling them kitchens, kept getting told to f**k off and all other types of s**t, quit the very first day and never went back. 

9 minutes ago, SwoleTip said:

Call centre when i was 16

3 hour shift but felt like 9. Had to call people selling them kitchens, kept getting told to f**k off and all other types of s**t, quit the very first day and never went back. 

I've heard nothing but bad things about call centres. 

Used to be on "fire watch" duties when I was a kid in my old man's garage as well...job description was crouched in the footwell of a car with a fairy washing up bottle filled with water getting smoked out with welding fumes waiting for a fire to break out.

Didn't even get paid haha well if a bacon sandwich is payment then yeah I was quids in. miss those days lol

Never had a terrible job like some of you boys. Worked at an outdoor kart track for a few years part time which had no contracted breaks. The 6 hour endurance races were pretty bad because you were kept on the same turn and had to stand up, no sitting or leaning allowed. The drivers bought their own karts to these so they knew what they were doing which made it even more boring 

1 hour ago, drwae said:

Kitchen porter, constantly being told to work faster, all sharp knives and dirty s**t off peoples plates you have to wash in scalding water without gloves and all for minimum wage

Community service (painting railings and doors on estates) was honestly better than KP even taking into account I didn't get paid for it

Aye kitchen porter experience wasn't my favourite either. Smell of fresh crossiants in then morning and 6-2 wasnt bad though 

I used to dig holes for £19 week and was happy as fck mind you I would rather much prefer to be sat on a nice comfy recliner in an office getting told to fck off by someone on the phone

C6A4D2A9-373B-409D-BCDE-E252368352C2.jpeg

A9E83525-DF14-40CA-A2E2-3B29C7FFDFA8.jpeg

On 13/09/2020 at 10:04 PM, vetran said:

I used to dig holes for £19 week and was happy as fck mind you I would rather much prefer to be sat on a nice comfy recliner in an office getting told to fck off by someone on the phone

C6A4D2A9-373B-409D-BCDE-E252368352C2.jpeg

A9E83525-DF14-40CA-A2E2-3B29C7FFDFA8.jpeg

So that's where your coffee mug was found

Danny

On 13/09/2020 at 6:18 PM, PSevens2017 said:

As soon as Buffman tells me which region this was in, road trip. Gonna hunt down the ‘lunchtime at breakfast time’ dude so I can deliver some back door retribution..... release impending! Thanks tho, bae xx 

I’ll meet you there... Baggsy I go second x

Once did a temporary job lifting 50kg sacks of raw gum that had been shipped in from Africa off a lorry and onto a big wooden pallet. This raw gum looks like multi-coloured pebbles and is used from everything to making glue and apparently even goes  in Coca Cola.

There were 400 sacks per lorry and I was the only one strong enough to have them put on my shoulder so I could fling them onto the pallets - the two other guys I was working with were only strong enough to drag them to the edge of the lorry for me. Once we'd filled a pallet (20 sacks) a complete c**t driving a forklift would come along and drive them off and replace it with another empty pallet. This would go on until we'd emptied the lorry. The guy in the forklift wouldn't speak to us all day and didn't offer to help clear the sacks other than drive his forklift around. Thankfully the job only last 3 and a half days but by the end of it I had taken all the skin off my shoulder and traps and it took ages to heal. 

How anyone could do that full time is a mystery to me - the staff turnover must have been ridiculous. Never again.  

On 13/09/2020 at 4:56 PM, drwae said:

100% the worst job I've ever done was being  KP too, would come home reeking of deep fat fryer grease and couldn't get rid of the smell.

1 hour ago, JHMuscle said:

Once did a temporary job lifting 50kg sacks of raw gum that had been shipped in from Africa off a lorry and onto a big wooden pallet. This raw gum looks like multi-coloured pebbles and is used from everything to making glue and apparently even goes  in Coca Cola.

There were 400 sacks per lorry and I was the only one strong enough to have them put on my shoulder so I could fling them onto the pallets - the two other guys I was working with were only strong enough to drag them to the edge of the lorry for me. Once we'd filled a pallet (20 sacks) a complete c**t driving a forklift would come along and drive them off and replace it with another empty pallet. This would go on until we'd emptied the lorry. The guy in the forklift wouldn't speak to us all day and didn't offer to help clear the sacks other than drive his forklift around. Thankfully the job only last 3 and a half days but by the end of it I had taken all the skin off my shoulder and traps and it took ages to heal. 

How anyone could do that full time is a mystery to me - the staff turnover must have been ridiculous. Never again.  

Should of just moved the pallet closer then all 3 of you  could just push em off and then stack them 

Or asked forky nicely to lift it up and just push em on and he can lower it as it builds up 

Work smarter not harder 

4 hours ago, mrwright said:

Should of just moved the pallet closer then all 3 of you  could just push em off and then stack them 

Or asked forky nicely to lift it up and just push em on and he can lower it as it builds up 

Work smarter not harder 

Well, hindsight's a wonderful thing but when you've got three dumb 17 year olds trying their best on a job they've never done before you don't think like that regardless of how difficult the circumstances are.