Sign in to follow this  
wavefunction

Pullovers

Everyone used to do those back in the 70s because Arnold did them a lot, or so I read. Not so much anymore, I hardly ever see anyone do dumbbell pullovers, and I’ve never seen anyone do them the way I do them(perpendicular to the bench, not lifting the dumbbell past ~30 degrees angle from the floor in order to keep lats engaged at all times.

Just 6 months ago I had no v shape, and then I started doing heavy pullovers 5-7 times per week. Few months in I hit the abdominal pose in front of the mirror and my lats came out and there was the v shape and it’s beautiful, and I said to the mirror: holy s**t, mirror...

Pullovers, man, best exercise ever, man. Do you agree or strongly agree?

C16E228B-DEA0-4505-B230-35B696FDCE85.jpeg.da819c056a4a6ae3dc8dd89b36a423a8.jpeg

22 minutes ago, wavefunction said:

Everyone used to do those back in the 70s because Arnold did them a lot, or so I read. Not so much anymore, I hardly ever see anyone do dumbbell pullovers, and I’ve never seen anyone do them the way I do them(perpendicular to the bench, not lifting the dumbbell past ~30 degrees angle from the floor in order to keep lats engaged at all times.

Just 6 months ago I had no v shape, and then I started doing heavy pullovers 5-7 times per week. Few months in I hit the abdominal pose in front of the mirror and my lats came out and there was the v shape and it’s beautiful, and I said to the mirror: holy s**t, mirror...

Pullovers, man, best exercise ever, man. Do you agree or strongly agree?

C16E228B-DEA0-4505-B230-35B696FDCE85.jpeg.da819c056a4a6ae3dc8dd89b36a423a8.jpeg

Leg press for me big boy, so I’m going to ‘somewhat disagree’, man! 

In the past, virtually every article and book about gaining muscular size promoted high rep breathing squats supersetted with straight arm pullovers.  I used them for years after every set of squats (high rep or not) to stretch the rib cage whilst still breathless. 

When I was very young I joined an after-school weight training club which the care taker used to run. He was a big promoter of the bent arm barbell pullover. Which is a movement that is very similar to the machine pullover but done on a bench with someone sat on your legs to stop you flying off the end. That’s a very tough exercise.

I was looking at these as a potential replacement for pull-ups as I’m finding I’m  getting elbow pain for days after pull ups, might give them a go.

Done em since I was 17 on and off in various forms! 
Love em and I find they work well with a straight bar that’s not to heavy....the trick is try to pull the bar apart whilst executing the exercise slowly.

I do remember back in the 80s the theory was that heavy breathing pullovers would expand the ribcage for young bodybuilders.

I never really got into them so can't say if there is any truth in it - certainly the exercise has fallen out of favour as you rarely see anyone doing them these days

27 minutes ago, gymaddict1986 said:

I prefer these  and Yates highly rates them . Won’t find them in to many gyms these days tho 

My old gym has one of these, never properly encorporated into my training but used it a few times.

43 minutes ago, gymaddict1986 said:

I prefer these  and Yates highly rates them . Won’t find them in to many gyms these days tho 

This is the equivalent with a barbell - bent arm pullovers. Although they need to be done heavy - this guy is just showing the movement and when we did them you would pivot the weight all the way back onto your chest. 

I think your progress is not because of pull over but more so down to doing the movement 5 to 7 times a week. As soon as you go back to normal training the muscle will shrink 

1 hour ago, Kill Kcal said:

My old gym has one of these, never properly encorporated into my training but used it a few times.

Arrh Nautilus is great kit! Love it!

I love DB pullovers. That stretch after incline presses really makes my chest hurt. I do Tri’s after and it’s a good warm up for them too. 

I love the dumbbell pullover. 

I used to do them four times a week using what @Fadi recommended which was 8x8 with strict 30 seconds rest in between each set alternated with 3 sets of 20 reps with 2 mins rest on the other sessions.

Improved massively in weight I was using from when I started over the course of two years. 

With minor tweaks to technique it's possible to make it chest focussed or lat focussed.

First time I ever did them my triceps were burning the following day, but never got the sensation again after that. 

On 13/09/2020 at 8:37 AM, albatross said:

I do remember back in the 80s the theory was that heavy breathing pullovers would expand the ribcage for young bodybuilders.

I never really got into them so can't say if there is any truth in it - certainly the exercise has fallen out of favour as you rarely see anyone doing them these days

Arnold started that I believe, he certainly  did claim that pullovers expand ribcage in his encyclopaedia. That is bro science.

On 9/13/2020 at 8:12 AM, YB81 said:

I was looking at these as a potential replacement for pull-ups as I’m finding I’m  getting elbow pain for days after pull ups, might give them a go.

I've seen your log, I think its because you are doing way too much volume than you can handle, and likely breaking down in form engaging the biceps more tha necessary.

I do 2 sets of Pullups on vertical pull days, with a few other exercises. 

I think you should get some advice on your training split

39 minutes ago, Cronus said:

I've seen your log, I think its because you are doing way too much volume than you can handle, and likely breaking down in form engaging the biceps more tha necessary.

I do 2 sets of Pullups on vertical pull days, with a few other exercises. 

I think you should get some advice on your training split

Yeah the volume is to much for me I agree mate, I thought I’d get used to it but it was smashing me to bits. 

Ive gone back to an upper lower split twice a week, working between 10 and 6 reps for 3 sets. 

28 minutes ago, YB81 said:

Yeah the volume is to much for me I agree mate, I thought I’d get used to it but it was smashing me to bits. 

Ive gone back to an upper lower split twice a week, working between 10 and 6 reps for 3 sets. 

Make a thread on here and if you can spare the time, listen to YouTube or podcast about training. Mike israteal provides some very good content. 

Whats worked best for me so far is hitting each muscle group evry 5 days. Chest tris shoulders, back, bis, rear delts, rest, legs, rest and repeat. I mainly do 1 load set and one back off and generally around 12-14 sets total each session and I'll taper that up throughout a training block and then deload.

This has got me the strongest I've been so far and also working very well to retain my strength, even progress whilst I've been dieting. I'm cruusing on 150mg test e e5d and that's it. 

Like you said, we are that age now we're training smart and keep injury free is imperative.