UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

AwfuLL at Pull ups

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  albatross 
#1 ·
How do you do more, I can do 3 sets of 3

How do people improve and go for say 3 set of 10, do you just keep doing them?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
There's loads of ways.

Firstly, Lat Pulldowns will help. And also, doing Pull Ups with a neutral grip (they're easier) will help.

Use the assisted machine to do them if you access to one. If not then use bands.

You could try doing negatives too.

Be sure to put them first in your workouts and do them often.

And yes, just keep doing them mate.

Do you train in a gym or at home?

#5 ·
There's loads of ways.

Firstly, Lat Pulldowns will help. And also, doing Pull Ups with a neutral grip (they're easier) will help.

Use the assisted machine to do them if you access to one. If not then use bands.

You could try doing negatives too.

Be sure to put them first in your workouts and do them often.

And yes, just keep doing them mate.

Do you train in a gym or at home?
I do lat pull downs.

Do them every workout?

Train at gym but have never done more than 8 pull ups in one go, s**t at them

#4 ·
You really just have to keep at them.

What can help is to every now and then just hang from the bar and get your shoulders and grip well used to handling a bar. But apart from that you just got to force the body to get better at them, so multiple sets, assisted, negatives etc etc

As mentioned above weight is crucial as well.

#12 ·
Yes, just going to do pull ups everyday see how I get on

Get stronger or lose weight.
Ok

I also suck at pull ups, never seem to be able to weighted ones. I am quite strong in other area's but my biceps (they are big) are not that strong and my back is not that strong. I do deadlifts and squats and bench all with nice numbers.

I tried the assisted ones but it did not really lead to improvements. Ok im a bit older now 46 but its me in the AV so I am certainly not out of shape or fat.

I think we all have our weak spots.
Do you do them regularly?

#10 ·
I also suck at pull ups, never seem to be able to weighted ones. I am quite strong in other area's but my biceps (they are big) are not that strong and my back is not that strong. I do deadlifts and squats and bench all with nice numbers.

I tried the assisted ones but it did not really lead to improvements. Ok im a bit older now 46 but its me in the AV so I am certainly not out of shape or fat.

I think we all have our weak spots.

#20 ·
There's certainly no correlation between pull downs and pull ups. I've not tried pull ups since gyms opened but always struggled with them.

back up to 91kg for reps on pull down , which is 10kg above BW, doubt I could do pull ups for reps lol
Definitely a very different movement. Pull ups do require you to control body swing, and they exhaust you much quicker than pull downs with the same weight.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am 55 and I don't really do them much as I have never been particularly good at them but when I joined the Army 30 years ago we used to have to do them as part of PT lessons.

When there is proper motivation to improve you will be surprised what you can get your body to do. At the start of basic training I think I did 10 good ones and I was one of the best, most were about 4-5 and some could not even do 1. By the end of 12 weeks training I did 22 and everyone in the troop got over 6.

Young bodies and minds are infinitely adaptable, they just require the right motivation and stimulus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.