Sign in to follow this  
M.I.A

AwfuLL at Pull ups

How do you do more, I can do 3 sets of 3

How do people improve and go for say 3 set of 10,  do you just keep doing them?

There's loads of ways.

Firstly, Lat Pulldowns will help. And also, doing Pull Ups with a neutral grip (they're easier) will help.

Use the assisted machine to do them if you access to one. If not then use bands.

You could try doing negatives too.

Be sure to put them first in your workouts and do them often.

And yes, just keep doing them mate.

Do you train in a gym or at home?

Loose weight. I find when I'm lean for my holidays I can blast 20, or do weighted with 20kg. 

I'd love to be able to do a muscle up. 

Get on the latt pull downs heavy as you can, or use assisted if your gym has one. 

You really  just have to keep at them.

What can help is to every now and then just hang from the bar and get your shoulders and grip well used to handling a bar.  But apart from that you just got to force the body to get better at them, so multiple sets, assisted, negatives etc etc

As mentioned above weight is crucial as well.

5 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

There's loads of ways.

Firstly, Lat Pulldowns will help. And also, doing Pull Ups with a neutral grip (they're easier) will help.

Use the assisted machine to do them if you access to one. If not then use bands.

You could try doing negatives too.

Be sure to put them first in your workouts and do them often.

And yes, just keep doing them mate.

Do you train in a gym or at home?

I do lat pull downs.

Do them every workout?

Train at gym but have never done more than 8 pull ups in one go, s**t at them

10 hours ago, M.I.A said:

How do you do more, I can do 3 sets of 3

How do people improve and go for say 3 set of 10,  do you just keep doing them?

Do you mean you do 3 sets of 3 reps? If its 3 reps that isn’t that good at all really. Your either weigh a lot or your just not used to pull ups yet

I also suck at pull ups, never seem to be able to weighted ones. I am quite strong in other area's but my biceps (they are big) are not that strong and my back is not that strong. I do deadlifts and squats and bench all with nice numbers. 

I tried the assisted ones but it did not really lead to improvements. Ok im a bit older now 46 but its me in the AV so I am certainly not out of shape or fat.

I think we all have our weak spots. 

18 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

Do you mean you do 3 sets of 3 reps? If its 3 reps that isn’t that good at all really. Your either weigh a lot or your just not used to pull ups yet

Yes, just going to do pull ups everyday see how I get on

18 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

Get stronger or lose weight. 

Ok

9 hours ago, Dutchguy_Asia said:

I also suck at pull ups, never seem to be able to weighted ones. I am quite strong in other area's but my biceps (they are big) are not that strong and my back is not that strong. I do deadlifts and squats and bench all with nice numbers. 

I tried the assisted ones but it did not really lead to improvements. Ok im a bit older now 46 but its me in the AV so I am certainly not out of shape or fat.

I think we all have our weak spots. 

Do you do them regularly?

14 hours ago, M.I.A said:

And how will that help?

It’s called greasing the groove.

You don’t have to do an exercise to failure to get better at it believe it or not.

For instance, I am trying to improve my grip strength and I have a Captains Of Crush Gripper on my desk at work. 

Every 30 mins or so I just do 1 rep in each hand. I started off months ago with the number 3 Gripper (105lb) and now I’m up to the number 5 gripper (140lb).

I understand that this is an extreme example of greasing the groove. But if you did 1x3 of pull ups at the start of every workout every day or every other day then you will get better at pull ups.

If you can buy a pull up bar at home then I suggest you do 1 pull up every time you walk past it. The same principle/ theory applies. You will get stronger

13 hours ago, M.I.A said:

And how will that help?

Increases the frequency without the fatigue. Basically you get more efficient at pull ups by getting in more practice. Could even do a few sets per day with a few hours between, etc. As long as you don't hit failure they become easier and easier. 

2 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

It’s called greasing the groove.

You don’t have to do an exercise to failure to get better at it believe it or not.

For instance, I am trying to improve my grip strength and I have a Captains Of Crush Gripper on my desk at work. 

Every 30 mins or so I just do 1 rep in each hand. I started off months ago with the number 3 Gripper (105lb) and now I’m up to the number 5 gripper (140lb).

I understand that this is an extreme example of greasing the groove. But if you did 1x3 of pull ups at the start of every workout every day or every other day then you will get better at pull ups.

If you can buy a pull up bar at home then I suggest you do 1 pull up every time you walk past it. The same principle/ theory applies. You will get stronger

I got a home pull up bar I will do some everyday 

There’s certainly no correlation between pull downs and pull ups. I’ve not tried pull ups since gyms opened but always struggled with them. 

back up to 91kg for reps on pull down , which is 10kg above BW, doubt I could do pull ups for reps lol 

On 14/09/2020 at 7:45 PM, Youdontknowme said:

There’s certainly no correlation between pull downs and pull ups. I’ve not tried pull ups since gyms opened but always struggled with them. 

back up to 91kg for reps on pull down , which is 10kg above BW, doubt I could do pull ups for reps lol 

Definitely a very different movement. Pull ups do require you to control body swing, and they exhaust you much quicker than pull downs with the same weight. 

On 9/12/2020 at 11:10 PM, M.I.A said:

Do you do them regularly?

I did, never seem to quite get the hang of it. The easy ones with arms close is ok. The wide ones .. I would be able to do 4 x6 or 4 x 8 but never in really nice form. 

Most gym rats that say they are just "bad at pull ups" are simply a lot fatter than they think they are. No excuse for a guy that lifts weights not to be able to do a good 8 reps. 

I am 55 and I don't really do them much as I have never been particularly good at them but when I joined the Army 30 years ago we used to have to do them as part of PT lessons.

When there is proper motivation to improve you will be surprised what you can get your body to do. At the start of basic training I think I did 10 good ones and I was one of the best, most were about 4-5 and some could not even do 1. By the end of 12 weeks training I did 22 and everyone in the troop got over 6.

Young bodies and minds are infinitely adaptable, they just require the right motivation and stimulus.