AlexH96

How on earth do pros diet so well

40 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

If you think playing darts or snooker requires more physical exertion than competitive bodybuilding you clearly have no idea what you are on about. 

I'm not arguing with anyone but I can see the point of view from an outside perspective...

To those that know nothing about bodybuilding, it does just look like a load of tanned/oiled up people posing on a stage, which obviously doesn't look like much of a 'sport'.   Strongman is more of a sport to those without any knowledge of what it takes to get to that condition, because they are more actively doing something to win.

8 minutes ago, TERBO said:

I'm not arguing with anyone but I can see the point of view from an outside perspective...

To those that know nothing about bodybuilding, it does just look like a load of tanned/oiled up people posing on a stage, which obviously doesn't look like much of a 'sport'.   Strongman is more of a sport to those without any knowledge of what it takes to get to that condition, because they are more actively doing something to win.

I agree with you. People with no clue may well hold that view. But this is a bodybuilding forum after all. The issue though is whether it is a sport or not. It definitely meets the definition and it is recognised a sport by the IOC so it clearly is. No matter how many times someone shouts that it's not. 

16 minutes ago, TERBO said:

strongman is more of a sport, full stop lol..

not taking anything away from BB and yeah it is a sport in my opinion too .. but strongman requires just as much dedication and physical activity PLUS the actual competition part of it is 100% a physical sport too .. there's no middle ground that can be confusing.

Bodybuilding is something where the process and the end requirement I feel are totally at odds with one another. The training is hard and the diet too, pushing, pulling and heaving huge weights, endless cardio in a hard cut, the unhealthy amounts of PED use to then... get covered in fake tan, put on skimpy trunks and walk around a stage showing off your muscles! I used to cringe hearing bodybuilders saying they went mano mano out there, it was war! Oh come on, I think that's pushing the definition a bit far. I respect the dedication and process completely but as a spectacle it's quite dull. Strongman on the other hand i find miles more entertaining. 

Beauty contest you guys have been watching the wrong bodybuilding shows.....

This debate has been going on for years, you have 2 clear sides to this question of "Is bodybuilding a sport" and one will not agree with the other....EVER the main reason for that is a lack of understanding of what it takes for the majority of bodybuilders (Natural and Assisted) to get onstage looking good.

This is understandable really as those who have not done it themselves cannot relate to a process that is needed.

1 hour ago, Pscarb said:

Beauty contest you guys have been watching the wrong bodybuilding shows.....

This debate has been going on for years, you have 2 clear sides to this question of "Is bodybuilding a sport" and one will not agree with the other....EVER the main reason for that is a lack of understanding of what it takes for the majority of bodybuilders (Natural and Assisted) to get onstage looking good.

This is understandable really as those who have not done it themselves cannot relate to a process that is needed.

The process doesn't make it a sport tho.  I agree the process is gruelling and dedicated but it's not a sport.  

I've stepped on stage in men's physique.  Problem you have now is if you say "that's not proper bodybuilding" then I win the debate ;-)

TBF BB competitions really are a beauty contest of sorts, as it basically all boils down to how good you look in the opinion of the judges. Same as any beauty pageant just with different criteria. 

I admire the dedication and determination that people display to get into the shape required to be competitive at a decent level but that still doesn't make it a sport IMO.

Power lifting/strong man are a different kettle of fish. As they're both a real test of physical strength and technique

Somewhat different to parading around in your underpants, smothered in fake tan.

The thing with bodybuilding is that the training, the prelude to the event/competition clearly is a sport, but the actual event/competition isn't - and that's where it will always fall down. 

The training isn't put in to practice to win the event, albeit the condition is a result of the training and dieting. And actually, bodybuilders, while in peak physical condition (by judging standards, not health), they're actually not at their best performance - if anything, perhaps at their worst due to diet. 

That isn't to take anything away from bodybuilders. It's a phenomenally difficult sport (I consider the training sport whether it be a hobby or a profession). But when compared with strongman/weightlifting, those competitors put their training in to practice to compete on the day(s) of the event. 

I have huge respect for anyone at the top of their game, regardless of what it is.

To be honest I think it’s a pretty straightforward lifestyle.

Lockdown gave those of us still able to train normally a great insight to what it’s like.  I was able to focus a significant amount of my time and effort on training and diet and frankly, if that’s all I had to do and my livelihood, family and friends were built around bodybuilding then it would be a piece of piss.

As said above, with a bit of effort it’s really not difficult eating well and keeping it interesting.  It does take some planning and effort though and finding the time to do that with work and family commitments is where it’s gets challenging.

5 hours ago, lancs_lad said:

The process doesn't make it a sport tho.  I agree the process is gruelling and dedicated but it's not a sport.  

I've stepped on stage in men's physique.  Problem you have now is if you say "that's not proper bodybuilding" then I win the debate ;-)

I don’t have a problem now as that would be an opinion and an opinion does not make something true, just as YOUR opinion that bodybuilding is not a sport does not make it true, it’s just an opinion.

Win? Win what? ? 

13 minutes ago, sh4n3 said:

The posing routine they do on stage must take some endurance, must be hard work and if you f**k that up you lose. 

Yeh those BB "athletes" display incredible amounts of endurance and stamina.

Bet most of em could jog at least 25 yards easy without even getting out breath! 

5 minutes ago, MickeyE said:

Yeh those BB "athletes" display incredible amounts of endurance and stamina.

Bet most of em could jog at least 25 yards easy without even getting out breath! 

Haha I’m not saying they athletes, just saying it’s still hard work up there even after all the training to get there.

10 hours ago, sh4n3 said:

The posing routine they do on stage must take some endurance, must be hard work and if you f**k that up you lose. 

The posing routine is not Judged although it can make you stand out for the judges so you are noticed more in other rounds.

From google...

An athlete (also sportswoman or sportsman) is a person who competes in one or more sports that involve physical strength, speed or endurance. ... Most professional athletes have particularly well-developed physiques obtained by extensive physical training and strict exercise accompanied by a strict dietary regimen

whilst posing on stage itself doesn’t take strength, speed or endurance, getting to the stage certainly does. 

There’s no way bodybuilding can be a sport as the judging is purely subjective.... there are however clear guidelines by which to score but on a team of 4/5 judges, placings can be miles apart. 

Strongman in comparison is clearly a sport. Lift more and you’ve won...end of. This is purely objective as opposed to subjective.

BB training can be brutal but that  in itself doesn’t make it a sport because there’s no competition involved.

I can’t think of a sport that is not scored on a subjective basis.....diving maybe??? But the actual dive itself requires massive physical exertion and the diver needs to have a really high level of fitness .

Yes, I know posing on stage  is exhausting but it’s just not the same.

25 minutes ago, js77 said:

There’s no way bodybuilding can be a sport as the judging is purely subjective.... there are however clear guidelines by which to score but on a team of 4/5 judges, placings can be miles apart. 

Strongman in comparison is clearly a sport. Lift more and you’ve won...end of. This is purely objective as opposed to subjective.

BB training can be brutal but that  in itself doesn’t make it a sport because there’s no competition involved.

I can’t think of a sport that is not scored on a subjective basis.....diving maybe??? But the actual dive itself requires massive physical exertion and the diver needs to have a really high level of fitness .

Yes, I know posing on stage  is exhausting but it’s just not the same.

I agree it's not a sport but not because of the subjectivity of the judging.

Gymnastics, figure skating are a couple sports that spring to mind,  boxing too that is determined by judges.

But getting oiled up and  prancing around in a thong  while being appraised by judges is way more similar to a beauty contest than any other sport I can think of.

Just because some people don't think bodybuilding is a sport doesn't make it not one.  The fact that it meets the Oxford English Dictionary definition of a sport and both the International Olympic Committee and Amateur Athletic Union formally recognise it as a sport, makes it a sport. 

55 minutes ago, MickeyE said:

I agree it's not a sport but not because of the subjectivity of the judging.

Gymnastics, figure skating are a couple sports that spring to mind,  boxing too that is determined by judges.

But getting oiled up and  prancing around in a thong  while being appraised by judges is way more similar to a beauty contest than any other sport I can think of.

I think gymnastics are ok comparisons as they are indeed subjectively judged but not to the extent bb is. You’ve heard all that political bullsh1t in certain federations where a newcomer can’t possibly be granted a pro card because ‘he hasn’t paid his dues’....come in ffs!!! That’s not sport.

The only reason boxing have judges is so that they are able to count as many hits as possible so in that respect boxing is objectively scored.

Bb success is achieved for the most part due to brutal hard work in the gym and a devastating diet but this is not how they’re judged come comp time. It’s solely on how they look. I’ve got nothing but admiration for competitive bb in that respect. I just can’t see how it be classed as a sport.

22 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

Just because some people don't think bodybuilding is a sport doesn't make it not one.  The fact that it meets the Oxford English Dictionary definition of a sport and both the International Olympic Committee and Amateur Athletic Union formally recognise it as a sport, makes it a sport. 

I didn’t read that mate... but you’re right.. if it’s classed as a sport then it’s a sport, irrespective of anyone’s opinion.

I’ll make sure I keep an Oxford Concise in my gym bag and if any clever kunt tells me it’s not a sport I’ll just throw it at them.

57 minutes ago, js77 said:

I didn’t read that mate... but you’re right.. if it’s classed as a sport then it’s a sport, irrespective of anyone’s opinion.

I’ll make sure I keep an Oxford Concise in my gym bag and if any clever kunt tells me it’s not a sport I’ll just throw it at them.

Don't be a lightweight - always carry round the full 2,112 page hardback version! No-one will argue with you on the definition of anything from then on.

One of the opinions on Google. 

Though bodybuilding requires extreme physical training like any other sport, there isn't any skill involved during competition day. ... Thus, bodybuilding fails at the very first criteria of being considered a sport