Sign in to follow this  
Gymrat12

to which extent alcohol is unhealthy?

1 hour ago, todai said:

Alcohol means the protein is spared to go build muscle :thumb;)

I can’t see how this cannot be true. Alcohol is a nutrient that gives a lot of energy but energy that cannot be stored. Any food consumed, protein in particular, won’t be converted into energy by the body whilst there is plenty of energy in the body from alcohol calories.

It’s a fine balance though. You can’t train tomorrow if you feel terrible because you drunk too much yesterday.

Alcohol is a poison and a carcinogen, with the risks of negative health consequences increasing with the quantity consumed, plus total lifetime exposure  There is no part of the human body that isn't affected by it. 

You can justify it all you want, but it just isn't healthy, as someone else has already said, the less you have the healthier you will be. 

That being said if you can enjoy one or two (and it really is just one or two), on the odd occasion, you most probably will get away with it.  Most people grossly underestimate how much they drink though. 

38 minutes ago, ThatsLife said:

Alcohol is a poison and a carcinogen, with the risks of negative health consequences increasing with the quantity consumed, plus total lifetime exposure  There is no part of the human body that isn't affected by it. 

You can justify it all you want, but it just isn't healthy, as someone else has already said, the less you have the healthier you will be. 

That being said if you can enjoy one or two (and it really is just one or two), on the odd occasion, you most probably will get away with it.  Most people grossly underestimate how much they drink though. 

Like I already said moderately drinking is more healthy for you than not drinking https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/alcohol-good-or-bad

3 hours ago, Sasnak said:

He’s from and lives in Saudi Arabia and won’t understand the concept of “going out on the piss”

Yes I will never get drunk here,and if I want to do this I will not leave the house. But I can travel to other countries in which I can drink in public. 

The problem is that most of my friends and people in my surrounding are religious to an extent so I don't really enjoy drinking alone so I rarely remember drinking alcohol. 

59 minutes ago, Gymrat12 said:

Yes I will never get drunk here

Just out of interest you say you have a glass of whiskey. Where do you get it from? I mean you can brew beer or wine at home easily enough but distilling either into a spirit is challenging enough (and illegal) in the United Kingdom, let alone in KSA.

On 05/09/2020 at 10:51 PM, scottysafc said:

Isnt it pointless going to the gym then having a drink that night? Sure i read some science page that said that.

Not sure if your on crack or joking I drink up to 8 beers a night and still progress 

4 hours ago, ThatsLife said:

Based on what? What do you say tho those in their 90’s who drink and smoke daily? Suppose they are telling lies 

9 hours ago, Tricky said:

Based on what? What do you say tho those in their 90’s who drink and smoke daily? Suppose they are telling lies 

There's always those that get away with it, doesn't take away from the fact its toxic. I work in a rehab unit alongside medical professionals I see daily the effects of acute and long term alcohol abuse. 

I just have one drinking day a week, generally a saturday as I train Tuesday - Saturday and then rest Sunday/Monday. On the said saturday though I do tank about 12/13 guinness.

44 minutes ago, ThatsLife said:

Like I said one or two is fine, how many people if they're truly honest with themselves drink moderately though? 

It’s not just fine though it has health benefits and people that drink moderately live longer. I how however drink to much and will get the negative effects of alcohol if I don’t cut down 

18 minutes ago, Jackoffblades said:

It’s not just fine though it has health benefits and people that drink moderately live longer. I how however drink to much and will get the negative effects of alcohol if I don’t cut down 

It's also a well known carcinogen and systemic poison, same with any carcinogen, the more lifetime exposure you have, the greater the risk. 

18 hours ago, Sasnak said:

He’s from and lives in Saudi Arabia and won’t understand the concept of “going out on the piss”

KSA dudes are all on the booze in Dubai or Kuwait on a Thursday night.

Noisy, too!

KSA dude 1: "Hey! Ahmed!  Grab her ass bro"

KSA dude 2: "Wal-lahi! It's a fvckin tranny!"

KSA dude 2: "But I'll do it anyway. Barty time."

13 hours ago, Sasnak said:

Just out of interest you say you have a glass of whiskey. Where do you get it from? I mean you can brew beer or wine at home easily enough but distilling either into a spirit is challenging enough (and illegal) in the United Kingdom, let alone in KSA.

We don't distill it we smuggle it from outside our country especially from Bahrain. 

It can be smuggled easily if you don't look suspicious and you have a legitimate reason to go there, and even if they found in your car two or three bottles they may just threw them and you get a way with it, or you will be punished by a whip - believe it or not we still use this medieval punishment in our country-  it depends on your luck. 

2 minutes ago, Gymrat12 said:

We don't distill it we smuggle it from outside our country especially from Bahrain. 

It can be smuggled easily if you don't look suspicious and you have a legitimate reason to go there, and even if they found in your car two or three bottles they may just threw them and you get a way with it, or you will be punished by a whip - believe it or not we still use this medieval punishment in our country-  it depends on your luck. 

Dude is it worth it?

Or you just want it cos it's banned?

In the next time I am thinking of buying a double black label whiskey - I didn't try it I only tried black label-  but is it worth the price difference? 

I don't want to gain extra calories for unworthy drink  

11 minutes ago, AncientOldBloke said:

Dude is it worth it?

Or you just want it cos it's banned?

usually I don't take the risk of smuggling it, I  just buy it directly from the smugglers.

It is a very great business to them and risky at the same time. 

28 minutes ago, Gymrat12 said:

In the next time I am thinking of buying a double black label whiskey - I didn't try it I only tried black label-  but is it worth the price difference? 

I don't want to gain extra calories for unworthy drink  

I don’t drink much whisky these days but the difference will be the more expensive one will be smoother and won’t burn your throat as much, if at all.

In all honesty, alcohol isn't as bad as people often assume, and even the unit guidelines were pretty much pulled from thin air. 

Been a while since I did anything related to alcohol intake and mortality rates (along with diet, etc) but tolerable intake is actually higher than you'd think before we see morbidity within populations. Somewhere around 0.14 -0.18 units per kg per day. 

Should be clear that this was based on white, adult, males without cardiac, hepatic or renal disease histories. 

1 hour ago, YoelD said:

In all honesty, alcohol isn't as bad as people often assume, and even the unit guidelines were pretty much pulled from thin air. 

Been a while since I did anything related to alcohol intake and mortality rates (along with diet, etc) but tolerable intake is actually higher than you'd think before we see morbidity within populations. Somewhere around 0.14 -0.18 units per kg per day. 

Should be clear that this was based on white, adult, males without cardiac, hepatic or renal disease histories. 

Is that lean body mass? Asking for a friend :whistling: