Jump to content
swole troll

Nootropic discussion

Recommended Posts

Interested in hearing people's experience with nootropics. 

I've only lightly dabbled in them myself with the likes of supportmax neuro and conversely in effect but under the same cognitive enhancing category modafinil.

I will get my experiences up later but just putting the feelers out for thread interest and interaction at the moment. 

I find the whole nootropic world interesting and feel they could offer a valuable addition to not just anyone's supplemental stack but particularly those using nandrolone derivatives shown to have cognitive degenerative effects, with trenbolone being linked to early onset of Alzheimers and nandrolone having an impact on short term memory. 

So any experience, advice or interest get it post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interested in this topic, i'm at work but will put up my experiences with some of the things i've tried over the years when i can. Off the top of my head though, i've tried piracetam, phenylpiracetam, noopept, modafinil, memantine, deprenyl, oxiracetam, alcar, n-acetyl tyrosine, dmae, choline bitartrate, gingko. Probably more, modafinil being the most dramatic in effect though (tollerance can be an issue with constant use though, as i've found out). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some that I tried (don't know if all are classified as nootropic):

Piracetam and other -racetams (aniracetam, oxiracetam, etc): Didn't really notice any effect. Maybe I didn't use them long enough.

Phenibut: I use it regularly. Great to counteract some of the side effects of stimulants (for example caffeine or ephedrine) and also improves sleep onset time for me.

Modafinil: I take it ocasionally, but I don't like the long half life. If I take it more than 2 days in a row, I get insomnia.

Ritalin: This one was one of my favourites, but I can't get it anymore. Improved concentration at work.

Tianeptine (sulphate): Worked great for me, but is too expensive and could also cause addiction.

Noopept: Didn't really notice any effects...

Kratom: I don't know if this goes under "nootropic" category, but for me, it gives a nice boost in cognition and mood.

Kava kava extract: The effects are very subtle, but are noticeable after some time of continuous use - for me, this was less anxiety and better sleep

Hordenine & PEA combination: I used this before training. It gave me a great boost - probably due to MAO inhibition and dopamine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, rokd said:

Hordenine & PEA combination: I used this before training. It gave me a great boost - probably due to MAO inhibition and dopamine.

 

Was this a specific product or did you buy them separately ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better feedback than I expected.

I'm certainly no authority on nootropics, hence the thread, I've experience with huperzine, choline and lions mane but all of these were either taken in pre workout stacks or supportmax neuro so had a tainted effect whether it was stimulatory from caffeine and other stimulants or slight sedative effect from ksm 66 I don't feel I can give  accurate feedback. 

Modafinil I personally found way too much of a tweaked out stimulant. 

Appetite and sleep issues and life felt 'too sharp' kind of killed my humour and became all work no play. 

My interest in nootropics is largely as thought pattern lubricant, obviously the health benefits are great but I can at times have problems relaying information in real life so often pause mid speech to think before I speak, I don't mind so much and everyone that knows me knows I do this but it is irritating at times.

 Strangely a few beers always smoothed this out but I don't suffer any kind of anxiety and I'm a decade sober so I thought I'd explore the world of supplementation for greasing the groove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr Gearhead said:

Was this a specific product or did you buy them separately ?

I bought them separately. I don't like premade blends or preworkouts. I always try to find raw ingredients, so I can dose them as I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, swole troll said:

My interest in nootropics is largely as thought pattern lubricant, obviously the health benefits are great but I can at times have problems relaying information in real life so often pause mid speech to think before I speak, I don't mind so much and everyone that knows me knows I do this but it is irritating at times.

 

Sounds to me like you need things that stimulate the cholinergic system, which affects memory and attention. So things like acetyl l carnitine, choline bitartrate, dmae etc. The herb gingko also works through that pathway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I've found testosterone to be a better "nootropic" than any of the stuff people commonly take. 

Have tried modafonil, ritalin, adderall, kratom,etc. All of them either tweak out me too much to get any increased productivity or tolerance builds up so fast it's useless. 

I do enjoy l-theanine and caffeine though. Pretty mild but still noticeable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, shredcity said:

Honestly I've found testosterone to be a better "nootropic" than any of the stuff people commonly take. 

Have tried modafonil, ritalin, adderall, kratom,etc. All of them either tweak out me too much to get any increased productivity or tolerance builds up so fast it's useless. 

I do enjoy l-theanine and caffeine though. Pretty mild but still noticeable. 

@shredcity, you're tempting me again. You'll have me over on the 'darkside' if you keep this up!! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, swole troll said:

Interested in hearing people's experience with nootropics. 

I've only lightly dabbled in them myself with the likes of supportmax neuro and conversely in effect but under the same cognitive enhancing category modafinil.

I will get my experiences up later but just putting the feelers out for thread interest and interaction at the moment. 

I find the whole nootropic world interesting and feel they could offer a valuable addition to not just anyone's supplemental stack but particularly those using nandrolone derivatives shown to have cognitive degenerative effects, with trenbolone being linked to early onset of Alzheimers and nandrolone having an impact on short term memory. 

So any experience, advice or interest get it post.

I work permanent nights so modafinil definitely helps instead of smashing loads of caffeine, it does give me bad anxiety though so I tend to take no more than 100mg with some L-thainine to offset anxiety sides. 

Used Supportmax nuero and it definitely helps with sleep after work for sure. 

I've tried noopept once and my vision went very HD within minutes. 

I prefer them compared to stims but a lot of companies don't provide enough clinical doses to have a desirable effect (Strom being the exception) 

I know @Clubber Lang uses a nootropic based pre workout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piracetam - Not much effect for me either

Modafinil - definitely works but perhaps I get a bit hyper - I can no longer source

Phenibut - I use this to enhance sleep - great if used only occasionally

Noopept - seems to work for me but nowhere near the effect of Modafinil

My problem is focus and concentration, somedays I get very little done at work as I can't focus and I am easily distracted. From reading other posts I would be interested in trying both Kratom and Kava Kava. Ritalin sounds like it would be very helpful to me but of course it would be difficult to source.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sustanation said:

I work permanent nights so modafinil definitely helps instead of smashing loads of caffeine, it does give me bad anxiety though so I tend to take no more than 100mg with some L-thainine to offset anxiety sides. 

Used Supportmax nuero and it definitely helps with sleep after work for sure. 

I've tried noopept once and my vision went very HD within minutes. 

I prefer them compared to stims but a lot of companies don't provide enough clinical doses to have a desirable effect (Strom being the exception) 

I know @Clubber Lang uses a nootropic based pre workout. 

Yeah i started using a Nootropic based pre-workout during the later stages of lockdown training, when things were getting boring and slightly repetitive. I tried the Yamamoto Flexotor as i like the Yam range, and its spot on.

I dont know all the in's and out's of the Nootropic ingredients but as soon as i had Flexotor, just 10g of a 15g serving,  wasnt going to waste a full serving on home training, my levels of focus and concentration improved greatly. I was that impressed i went and bought enough tubs to last me till near Christmas (was on offer at the time). Since being back in the gym and using the full 15g serving i can honestly say ive not had one session were my focus or concentration has drifted.  

theres very few products ive used over the 15 or so years ive been training that have really stood out, but this is one of them. Well chuffed. 

i know a lot of people that use the Strom Support Max Neuro for focus, excellent brand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sustanation said:

I work permanent nights so modafinil definitely helps instead of smashing loads of caffeine, it does give me bad anxiety though so I tend to take no more than 100mg with some L-thainine to offset anxiety sides. 

Used Supportmax nuero and it definitely helps with sleep after work for sure. 

I've tried noopept once and my vision went very HD within minutes. 

I prefer them compared to stims but a lot of companies don't provide enough clinical doses to have a desirable effect (Strom being the exception) 

I know @Clubber Lang uses a nootropic based pre workout. 

is there any that you have found and liked for year round supplementation and if so what benefits did you gain from this particular one (or more) ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, swole troll said:

is there any that you have found and liked for year round supplementation and if so what benefits did you gain from this particular one (or more) ? 

I'd say year round Strom supportmax nuero, I can't use modafinil all the time as its benefits don't out way the anxiety and ocd side effects for me at times, but I have a friend who takes 200mg a night for the last year without any mental sides. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sustanation said:

I'd say year round Strom supportmax nuero, I can't use modafinil all the time as its benefits don't out way the anxiety and ocd side effects for me at times, but I have a friend who takes 200mg a night for the last year without any mental sides. 

 

I found neuro a bit tiring weirdly. 

I can see it's application but it's not really for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, swole troll said:

I found neuro a bit tiring weirdly. 

I can see it's application but it's not really for me.

Yes I concur, because of that I use it when I get home after the night shift and based on tracking my sleep it adds an extra hour and half in general with deep sleep going up about 10% on average. 

Try modafinil 100mg with a black coffee in the morning does do wonders, if you tolerate it 200mg is where super productivity lies providing you have stuff to do, if you don't it can make you very focused doing a whole lot of nothing lol, add l-thainine if you get anxiety sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using Bromantane to help with 19 Nor sides - ran for a month and didn’t bother continuing as didn’t feel anything noticeable but suspect any benefit would’ve been subtle at best anyway.

Started using Strom VascuMax Pro yesterday as a preworkout that contains Nootropics and certainly noticed improved focus as my workout progressed.  Wasn’t so obvious today though - will see how it goes next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used piracetam  years ago to help with studying but didn't really get anything from it.

Recently started using kratom prework for a bit of energy. I use at under 4 grams which I believe is the lower end of scale.  After my workout I find it then gives me a nice calm focus when I'm analysing numbers for my work. I switch between the green and white strands. Haven't used the red strand as I believe that is more relaxing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2020 at 9:36 AM, swole troll said:

is there any that you have found and liked for year round supplementation and if so what benefits did you gain from this particular one (or more) ? 

you mean have i found a Nootropic product ive used for a long period of time? If so then no. I started using the Yam Flexotor pre-work to help with focus and concentration during the later stages of home training during lockdown, when things were getting boring, and it really helped get me through.

ive not used any other Nootropic supplements, i just use the Flex for training days, 4x per week, and hand on heart ive not had a single session that my mind has drifted and ive lost focus since using. For me personally i connect extremely well with it. Earphones in, good tunes blasting, a good Nootropic pre-workout that isnt rammed with stims (200mg max), works a treat for me.

I cant handle heavily stim pre-works. People dont realise that stims can turn you catabolic, effect digestion and generally mess your body around. 200mg caffeine is more than enough for a pre-work. 

i know BBW do a caffeine-free Nootropic product,  Brain Game. https://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/warrior-brain-game-30-servings-360g?nosto=nosto-page-category1

not sure what its like but can be taken any time of day.

Also i think JP Nutrition could be releasing a  new Nootropic product too. Unsure whether its stim free or a blend but JP put up on Insta a sample bag he was trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With you there on the Caffeine amounts in pre workouts, although I think 250mg is still acceptable. The 300-400mg pre’s are borderline irresponsible I think & have seen some bad reactions in the gym.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, knuckleheed2 said:

Used piracetam  years ago to help with studying but didn't really get anything from it.

Recently started using kratom prework for a bit of energy. I use at under 4 grams which I believe is the lower end of scale.  After my workout I find it then gives me a nice calm focus when I'm analysing numbers for my work. I switch between the green and white strands. Haven't used the red strand as I believe that is more relaxing.

Red strain was literally like a codeine lite for me. 

Certainly relaxing but had a lot of opioid like nausea once it wore off. 

I'm not a huge fan of kratom personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got some alpha gph to try on its own (only used it in blend pre wos) alongside inositol. 

I'll give it a fair trial both pre wo and as a day to day. 

I've also got some noopept on the way which I'll trial separately and report back. 

Just ftr this was never a pre wo seek, I don't need anything pre, coffee alone sees me just fine and if I do have a big 1rm attempt or competition a handful of times a year ill use something stronger as a one off.

This nootropic experiment is more seeking a long term staple for cognitive function. 

Seems aside from epa and dha everything we supplement with is to the benefit of the neck down and for that reason I'm exploring nootropics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@swole troll I think the key to not suffering the nausea is to experiment and take as low dose as possible for what you are trying to achieve. I take for a little bit of a pre wo buzz. Gives me a nice energy and ups my motivation. A nice effect afterwards for me is the calm focus, able to block out distractions and concentrate on the piece of work I'm looking at.

I mostly take around 2 grams but will go up to 4 if I'm feeling really tired. I've seen people taking ridiculous (to me) doses of 12 grams and upwards 2x a day but I believe these are people who are trying to manage severe pain and addictions.

It's definitely a less is more type substance for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/09/2020 at 8:19 AM, Clubber Lang said:

you mean have i found a Nootropic product ive used for a long period of time? If so then no. I started using the Yam Flexotor pre-work to help with focus and concentration during the later stages of home training during lockdown, when things were getting boring, and it really helped get me through.

ive not used any other Nootropic supplements, i just use the Flex for training days, 4x per week, and hand on heart ive not had a single session that my mind has drifted and ive lost focus since using. For me personally i connect extremely well with it. Earphones in, good tunes blasting, a good Nootropic pre-workout that isnt rammed with stims (200mg max), works a treat for me.

I cant handle heavily stim pre-works. People dont realise that stims can turn you catabolic, effect digestion and generally mess your body around. 200mg caffeine is more than enough for a pre-work. 

i know BBW do a caffeine-free Nootropic product,  Brain Game. https://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/warrior-brain-game-30-servings-360g?nosto=nosto-page-category1

not sure what its like but can be taken any time of day.

Also i think JP Nutrition could be releasing a  new Nootropic product too. Unsure whether its stim free or a blend but JP put up on Insta a sample bag he was trying.

EDIT....BBW Brain Game is caffeine-free, spelling mistake on my behalf.  Its a non stim product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×