Sign in to follow this  
PMD

Getting back into it

Hi folks,

Hope you are all keeping well. Long time lurker first time poster

I've (male, 35, 84kg, 16% bf) been lifting on and off for years. Just recreationally mostly for the feel good factor to be honest but haven't done much in the last few years due to life getting in the way

I'm just getting back into it and looking to bulk up and put some decent muscle on over the next few months, I've started a push/pull/legs split.

The issue I have is that any of the PPL splits I've seen generally only have 2 chest exercises and after workouts this just does feel like it's enough (I've always struggled with building my chest and had to give it extra work) so I've added a couple of movements.

For all exercises I do 4 sets focusing on progressive overload. Once I can do 10 reps I up the weight.

So my split currently looks like this

Push
Flat bench press superset with Flat bench flye
Incline bench press superset with Incline bench flye
Dips
Overhead press
Lat raise
Standing tricep extensions
Abs

Pull
Deadlift
Bent over row
T bar row
Shrugs
Rear delt flye
Lat pull down or chin ups
Dumbell curls
Hammer curls
Abs

Legs
Squats
Good mornings
Leg press
Reverse hyper
Leg curl
Calf raise

My maintance calories are 2500 (desk job) so I eat maintence on rest days and 2900 on training days
Everyday I have between 160-200g of protein. I eat really clean Monday to Friday, it goes a little off at weekends as it generally involves some beers and a take away at some point over the weekend but I keep it all tracked and try not to let it get too excessive.

Can anyone give me some input/opinion on my split & calories/protein if it looks OK and covers all bases.

Any responses are much appreciated 

Cheers 

Im cracking on with the above again this week. Does anyone have any thoughts on my split above? 

Cheers

12 minutes ago, PMD said:

Im cracking on with the above again this week. Does anyone have any thoughts on my split above? 

Cheers

How many days per week are you training and how long do those sessions take?

Will comment once I know this and explain why I asked.

5 minutes ago, Bensif said:

How many days per week are you training and how long do those sessions take?

Will comment once I know this and explain why I asked.

Hi Mate,

I train 6 days per week (3 on/1 off) and sessions usually last just over an hour

5 minutes ago, PMD said:

Hi Mate,

I train 6 days per week (3 on/1 off) and sessions usually last just over an hour

And you repeat the above workout each time?

Too much volume IMO. Especially if you are doing 4 sets per exercise.

Without going into a lot of detail, I would take each workout and split it in two. Workout A incline BB press and dips, workout B flat bench then flies.

Legs, quad dominant and the ham dominant. Split out squats and RDLs.

If you’re doing the above twice per week, you won’t be recovering unless intensity is subpar in which case progress will be limited.

OK mate thanks for the advice. I will split it out to reduce the volume and concentrate on the intensity, quality over quantity and all that 

Cheers