BuffPup

Is it worth to start an AAS cycle with less than 2 years lifting experience?

11 hours ago, Jake6 said:

I dont know about the submaxial sets or where you've read that so not sure, but how I do DC is very simple and works for me. I dont do the rest pause sets which is kind of the whole "DC thing" but it's not necessary.

My workouts take me around 70mins but yours will likely be much shorter as you may only need 3 warm up sets for each exercise whereas I do around 5 warm up sets for heavy compounds before my top set, but if your top set for bench is say 60kgx12 your warm up sets would only be 20kgx16 40kgx12 and 60kgx8.

If u want to train DC follow Dogcrapps actual guidelines on intensemuscle or I think it's the same on T Nation, however i do mine with a loading sets and back off sets, with some back off sets rest pauses depending on the muscle.

If you dont want to do the rest pausing either, follow the same split as in DC, and do 1 all out set, to absolute complete failure for each exercise.

Once you've made progress on that exercise add another set to it when you do and see if you can still progress using 2 sets. For some muscles you'll be able to progress doing 3 sets, for some you might only recover from 1. You just need to learn what your body can recover from.

Just make sure you put everything you have into every set, it's all about beating numbers. Make sure you track every workout, write your numbers down everytime and every workout go in and try your best to beat them, more reps or more weights.

You wont need 3 different exercises either at your level so I'd go with 2 as you can easily make progress doing exercises every 9 days with your current lifts. Just make 4 workouts for each training block, I do 6 weeks on 1 week rest, you will need weeks off if you want to keep progressing.

Hope that helps and I really suggest you give that a try as if your diets good and you follow DC correctly and really put your effort into it you'll see what you can really do in 18 months!

Ps sorry for rambling its 4am and my insomnia is at its peak lol :thumb

That's some good information man thanks a lot. Yes I need to read carefully about DC a few times so I can understand it better. Many reviews say you can gain a lot of muscle fast  with it which is great!

16 hours ago, BuffPup said:

No lmao I mean 20kg bar plus I have 17.5 kg on each side sometimes I put 20kg both sides but lower reps  xDxD SO I'm guessing 55 kg altogether:lol: Same for squats

That’s a reasonable lift. I train in a municipal and I see plenty benching less than 60. You should still seek further progression before using gear though. 

2 hours ago, BuffPup said:

That's some good information man thanks a lot. Yes I need to read carefully about DC a few times so I can understand it better. Many reviews say you can gain a lot of muscle fast  with it which is great!

I didn't consider 5x5 as others have suggested and I'd think that would be a much better option for you mate for you to understand how progression works. It doesnt get much simpler than that program.

1 minute ago, Jake6 said:

I didn't consider 5x5 as others have suggested and I'd think that would be a much better option for you mate for you to understand how progression works. It doesnt get much simpler than that program.

Heavy lifting tho

Don't forget his weak tendons

3 minutes ago, stuey99 said:

Heavy lifting tho

Don't forget his weak tendons

Hes going to need to lift heavy at some point mate :lol: and says hes already doing sets of 8 which is still on the heavy rep range. 5x5 will require about the same weight anyway for him than a 3x8 to hit the same reps on every set

9 minutes ago, Jake6 said:

Hes going to need to lift heavy at some point mate :lol: and says hes already doing sets of 8 which is still on the heavy rep range. 5x5 will require about the same weight anyway for him than a 3x8 to hit the same reps on every set

I just think all this pussy footing around is just avoiding the issue tho

He's desperate to believe that if he tries this routine or that routine then he'll grow...you know...because he's a "hardgainer" andv3x8 just doesn't work for him

Come on...you must see these guys at the gym? I get them asking me advice on how to grow and I give them the only answer that exists...lift heavy and eat

Then month on month, year on year they ignore the advice and don't progress...because they're scared of getting fat so keep calories down and endlessly plug away...3x8, 3x12, 5x5 etc, etc...

Looking for that magic rep range that will make them grow...

Because diet and training is "on point"...but they're hardgainers...it's not as easy for them

I've tried to advise him and he's ignored my advice...instead jumping on comments advising different routines and rep ranges 

We all know what the problem is...

If he's only benching 35kgs after 2 years then he's not training hard enough or eating enough

45 minutes ago, stuey99 said:

I just think all this pussy footing around is just avoiding the issue tho

He's desperate to believe that if he tries this routine or that routine then he'll grow...you know...because he's a "hardgainer" andv3x8 just doesn't work for him

Come on...you must see these guys at the gym? I get them asking me advice on how to grow and I give them the only answer that exists...lift heavy and eat

Then month on month, year on year they ignore the advice and don't progress...because they're scared of getting fat so keep calories down and endlessly plug away...3x8, 3x12, 5x5 etc, etc...

Looking for that magic rep range that will make them grow...

Because diet and training is "on point"...but they're hardgainers...it's not as easy for them

I've tried to advise him and he's ignored my advice...instead jumping on comments advising different routines and rep ranges 

We all know what the problem is...

If he's only benching 35kgs after 2 years then he's not training hard enough or eating enough

Hold on a second there mate its 55kg not 35!!;)

Seriously though, i understand where you're coming from mate. It took me a good year to understand as well, I thought the problem was always I wasn't doing enough. The problem I was doing Too much! 

Ended up I think doing about 20 sets a week for biceps and like 30 for chest, obviously the more the better right??? Gave up for a month until I decided id jump on a program, cant remember what it was but it worked! Low volume and high intensity.

I think hes best off just finding his maintenance, sticking to a reasonable surplus consinstently and training a simple program that's tried and tested. As you'll know it all just comes down to being consistent with diet and training, as long as your training allows you to recover efficiently and make progress, if your eating enough protein and calories you WILL get bigger :thumb

10 minutes ago, Jake6 said:

Hold on a second there mate its 55kg not 35!!;)

Seriously though, i understand where you're coming from mate. It took me a good year to understand as well, I thought the problem was always I wasn't doing enough. The problem I was doing Too much! 

Ended up I think doing about 20 sets a week for biceps and like 30 for chest, obviously the more the better right??? Gave up for a month until I decided id jump on a program, cant remember what it was but it worked! Low volume and high intensity.

I think hes best off just finding his maintenance, sticking to a reasonable surplus consinstently and training a simple program that's tried and tested. As you'll know it all just comes down to being consistent with diet and training, as long as your training allows you to recover efficiently and make progress, if your eating enough protein and calories you WILL get bigger :thumb

Exactly mate

But just like most guys who dont progress, he's convinced himself its genetics/weak tendons/ the wrong rep range...whatever

We're all hardgainers if we dont eat enough...every single one of us

If you cant gain of a simple 3x8 routine then here comes a fact...and it is a FACT...

YOU'RE NOT EATING ENOUGH AND/OR YOU'RE NOT TRAINING HARD ENOUGH

Op...I'm not saying this to be harsh

If you cut down to a once a week PPL and increase calories until you start gaining....CONSISTENTLY...then you WILL progress

Reading about obscure magical training routines doesn't come into this equation at all

I've put the only magical advice that exists above in caps

Tbh both of you have made great points here. All read and taken into consideration. Eating as much as I can. Added 5 kg on both Leg Press and Deadlifts today and my knees felt great! (my quads and glutes died a little though :D). I've ordered some hydrolized collagen to deal with my elbow tendons so gonna take it  daily  and I am planning to add at least 2.5 kg per week for all my lifts from now on.

8 minutes ago, BuffPup said:

Tbh both of you have made great points here. All read and taken into consideration. Eating as much as I can. Added 5 kg on both Leg Press and Deadlifts today and my knees felt great! (my quads and glutes died a little though :D). I've ordered some hydrolized collagen to deal with my elbow tendons so gonna take it  daily  and I am planning to add at least 2.5 kg per week for all my lifts from now on.

Good idea. If you’ve not progressed your lifts in 2 years you won’t progress them with aas unless you fix whatever is broken. 

I told my lad if he’s not benching 60kg by his 15th birthday (next April) he can find another training partner :lol:

24 minutes ago, BuffPup said:

2.5kg on every lift every week is unrealistic mate...aiming for that will just lead to poor form snd shortcuts if you don't hit it

Take 3x8 on bench. You should currently be lifting a weight where you can do 8,8,6

Once you hit 3x8...increaae

And keep increasing calories till you start gaining weight

Train 3 times a week ppl. Less is more

And if you've got tendon issues I'd drop to 3x12 on compounds with 60secs rest between sets. Down down reps as well so you need less weight

Remember...you're not a powerlifter. It's not the numbers that count...its time under tension and growth you're looking for

2 hours ago, Youdontknowme said:

Good idea. If you’ve not progressed your lifts in 2 years you won’t progress them with aas unless you fix whatever is broken. 

I told my lad if he’s not benching 60kg by his 15th birthday (next April) he can find another training partner :lol:

:D 

I know it’s ‘one in a million genetics’ and all but some fella on an American forum took gear at the end of his first year of training.

Not sure if he’s a legit pro, but he’s won a fair few NPC Classic physique shows. 

(this doesn’t mean I agree taking gear early on) but ay, if your dead set on taking it competing and that stuff seriously and hope to make something from bb’ing why the foooook waste 4-6 years.