Sign in to follow this  
IainF

Back to the future..... deadlift, squat, pull up and dip!

Hi everyone, this is my log, which is really just designed to keep me accountable over the next few months. If anyone has words of wisdom feel free to help me out (I'm aware legs are only getting squats, but I usually train in my garage with just a peer rack so squats are about all I can do... open to garage gym quad/ham building suggestions to add in).

I have lifted for 10-12 years, always natty and acheived what I would call average results (best lifts listed below).  I'm proud of my lifts. I have gotten out what I put in so I am stronger than pretty much everyone at my local 'The Gym' but I am certainly not STRONG! I appreciate I am only stronger than most because I have trained pretty consistently and hard for many years, but I also think if everyone did the same, I would probably sit somewhere right in the middle of the strength spectrum..... What I am saying is that I am average but have worked longer and harder than average. I am not here to be stronger than some other guy, only to know I have pushed hard, put forth honest effort and been as strong as I can be.

My goals are a mix of strength gains and looking good (bigger!). I'm 35 and in ok shape - I guess about 15-20% bf - make your own judgement on my Avi. I want to get strength levels back to what they were in my late 20's, detailed below and in order of priority. 

Pull up: bw + 45kg (or 50%bw)

Squat: 200kg

Deadlift: 230kg

Dip: bw + roughly 65kg

As I have gotten older and wiser I have come to accept that looking better is a part of my motivation for working out. I like to think strength is number 1 but actually as I have gone over 30 I realise injury avoidance is massively important which has helped me in being less 1 rep max focused and accepting that looking good also motivates me....why, I don't know, no one but the Mrs sees it anyway...guess it just keeps me happy and confident in myself knowing that I am working hard and staying strong...and knowing that the Mrs still wants to jump me occasionally! 

My goal body, well I can't think of anyone in particular....never really thought I desperately want to look like someone else.  I want big traps first, I want big shoulders and upper back, I want big arms and I want big quads. Actually, John Cena, yip he looks awesome I think. I wouldn't sacrifice size for the sake of a sculpted 6 pack, I would rather look strong than ripped. Of course though, I want some abs, who doesn't!? 

My training is going to consist of 3 or 4 lifting sessions per week. One killer cardio session if I can get the time. 

Volume sets will be taken close to failure, with the intention of being able to complete 3 sets in the 8-12 rep range. This excludes deadlifts which will be done with lower reps. This whole program is going to be based around higher reps than I am typically used to (8-10 target reps mostly). I know some will argue that lower reps might serve me better. I know this. But they also might not...and I enjoy this range right now and I do not sail so close to injury with this range either. I get it, don't worry about it for me. If it doesn't work I will reassess.  I have done many programs over the years and plain old 5x5 was where the VAST majority of my gains came.  5/3/1 was awful for my strength (not enough volume I suspect) and I find complex programs just a pain. I want a few compounds and simple, easily measurable progression.

I will have 2 workouts which will be simple and focused only on beating the previous workout either in terms of reps or weight. I'll update the numbers at the end of each week.

I may throw in the odd strongman session if I get the weather to be outside with the farmers handles and atlas stones.  If so, that will replace any cardio session for the week - I will use light stone for reps and lightish for distance on the farmers. 

If I am short on time I will simply cut out the non compound lifts in any given workout...I view them largely as fluff but like most of us, I can't bring myself to entirely eliminate bicep curls and lateral raises from my routine :D

I intend running a var only cycle for the first 6 weeks so fingers crossed the gains will come quick. I will be starting after a 6 week layoff on 1st September (forced as I've been moving house, so no power rack and local gym still locked down). As such, strength will be down on where I was 2 months ago, so this should also mean quick gains over the initial weeks. Weeks 1 and 2 are going to HURT though!! 

If anyone else is in a similar place, let me know and perhaps we can share a bit of motivation and extra accountability when it is inevitably required! 

I've added a couple of physique shots for reference and to compare as I move forward. They are all I have and are from a year ago but I have not changed much of at all since...I'm not into taking photos of my body generally speaking, too old for that s**t! 

That's it, workouts below. Wish me luck!! 

Workout 1 :

Weighted Pull ups 3 X max in 8-10 range

Weighted Dips 3 X max in 8-10 range

DB incline press 3 X max in 8-10 range

Tricep rings 3 X max

Ring reverse flys 3 X max

Lateral raises 3 X max in 10-15 range

Fat grip db curls 3 max

Workout 2: 

Squats 3 X max in 8-10 range

Pull ups bodyweight pyramid as high as possible 

Deadlifts singles up until they get a bit grindy

Deadlifts 3 X 5-8 rep range to an approximate RPE 7

Rack pulls 3 X 10

Ring curls 3 X max

Ring rear flys 4 X max 

IMG_20190112_244002398.jpg

IMG_20180923_244756691.jpg

Good luck dude. 

I would suggest using test only cycle first, wouldn't personally bother with oral only from my own experience it was first thing I did and I hardly noticed much, I was using tbol that actually ended up being not tbol (wedinos tested it) was dbol and anavar mixture apparently. Anyway, didn't do a great deal then opted for a 500ml of the old zafas per week for 12 weeks and by week 3/4 I could notice changes already was way better. 

Good luck though, injury avoidance definitely is the key, leave the ego outside with weights we all wanna get stronger but I won't be doing 1rm to get there and unless that's your thing to be 100% focused on strength I wouldn't ever bother, just my 2c.

The photo isn’t the best to judge but I’d say you are carrying a fair bit more fat than your estimate. You don’t state whether you are using gear to cut or bulk but if it’s the latter I’d be inclined to lean out a bit before bulking. Probably not what you wanted to hear and as you’ve not published stats I may be wrong. Maybe it’s me but for a first cycle it really should be a bulk from a pretty lean starting point.

2 hours ago, Sasnak said:

The photo isn’t the best to judge but I’d say you are carrying a fair bit more fat than your estimate. You don’t state whether you are using gear to cut or bulk but if it’s the latter I’d be inclined to lean out a bit before bulking. Probably not what you wanted to hear and as you’ve not published stats I may be wrong. Maybe it’s me but for a first cycle it really should be a bulk from a pretty lean starting point.

Thanks for the reply man.

f**k, more than 20% bf, really? Lol guess I better cut a bit first!! I was actually gonna ask whether to lean out first and really go for a bulk on the var, so I guess you beat me to it!! 

I don't want to hear anything but the truth from those who have been there and done it... not going to hurt my feelings. That's why I'm here, to get a bit of advice and stay accountable. 

I would view using gear as very much a bulking tool for me and it's fair to say I'm not at a place where adding 5% bf is a great idea. 

I think this is good advice so will plan on getting leaner over the next few weeks and get up a few better pics to judge bf percentage. Once the consensus is that I am lean enough, I'll get on the var.

Not sure what you mean by stats, but if it is my current lifts: dl 205kg, squat 175kg, dip +55kg, pull up +37.5kg.  If it is size stats, I have no idea other than 16.25'' arms.  Yes, sadly I have measured my arms. 

Happy to share other info that will help others help me! 

I meant height and weight. I appreciate you are not stupid but I’ll run through this anyway.

Work out your tdee here https://tdeecalculator.net/ this will calculate calories to cut.

Download MyFitnessPal to your phone and track what you eat.

A 500 daily calorie deficit should see you lose about 2-3 lb a week. Adjust calories as required. 

You look roughly 5 weeks away from being in a decent place to start. Again, that’s going from the pic.

15 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

I meant height and weight. I appreciate you are not stupid but I’ll run through this anyway.

Work out your tdee here https://tdeecalculator.net/ this will calculate calories to cut.

Download MyFitnessPal to your phone and track what you eat.

A 500 daily calorie deficit should see you lose about 2-3 lb a week. Adjust calories as required. 

You look roughly 5 weeks away from being in a decent place to start. Again, that’s going from the pic.

Height 5'8, weight 90kg.  From past experience I can get to about 85kg easily in 5 to 6 weeks. Hopefully I will be ready then!! 

I'll post up a few pics later tonight that may be easier to judge bf percentage from. 

As promised. I may have been optimistic with 15% bf :D the camera doesn't lie..... unfortunately for me. 

IMG_20200821_111909197.jpg

IMG_20200821_111955585.jpg

IMG_20200821_111928151.jpg

Hi guys, I've just tested my Anavar. Highly disabled here so need some help (colour blind!!). Test looks good to me but a second opinion would be appreciated! 

First pic is the unopened rest vile, 2nd is the result after 15 minutes. 

IMG_20200913_202221344.jpg

IMG_20200913_203807175.jpg

So first workout done on Saturday after an 8 week or so lay off...I've not had more than 2-3 weeks off in one go for the last ten years so I suspected strength would be way down. Numbers were well down from my last session 8 weeks ago but I don't think they will take long to get back there - felt like my conditioning was more of an issue than pure strength - I was mangled after the first set as my muscles were just like 'what the f**k, I've done nothing for 8 weeks, now this!!?'. 

I had fu**ing DOMS before my session was even over! 

DOMS after my lower body session tonight is going to be nightmarish. I'm going to start really easy on squats otherwise I will be like a fu**ing cripple for the next few days. I had worked up to 132.5kg X 10, 127.5kg X 10, 122.5kg X 10 in my last squat session and will aim to be back there in 4-5 weeks.  Tonight I think I will go for 80,90,100kg X 10 and see how I go. I want to be able to squat every 3 or 4 days so ridiculous DOMS is not worth it right now. Typically once I have been back at it for 2 weeks DOMS is no longer an issue at all.

Numbers for workout 1 below.

10kg X 10, 10kg X 7, 5kg X 6, BW X 5 (last session was 17.5kgx10, 15kgx10, 12.5kgx8, BW X 12)

20kg X 10, 15kg X 10, 15kg X 10 (last session was 32.5kg, 30kg and 27.5kg all X 10, 20kg X 8 + dropped of BW X 4)

20kg X 10, 10, 10 (last session was 25kg X 10,9,7)

Tricep rings 3 X max

Done

Done

Done with 7kgs

Curl variation 3 X max

Done

40 minutes ago, YoelD said:

I'd stick with shorter sets, in all honesty. Always found that reducing volume early after a break reduced soreness. 

Totally agree bud, but my lack of  patience overrides sensibilities every time!! 

Workout 2 tonight:

Squats 3x10 in 8-10 range

80kg X 10, 90 kg X 10, 100kg X 10

Pull ups pyramid

52 reps in 15 minutes

Curl variation 3 X max

Done (ring curls)

Ring rear flys 5 X max

Done

Deadlifts - missed as ran out of time and had to run kids about.  Bad planning - everything is slower as a result of 8 weeks off!  

I'll do my deadlifts tomorrow and back to workout 1 on Wednesday. 

Squats felt horrible today. But to be expected. Last block started at 100kg 3 X 10 and I was up to 132.5, 127.5, 122.5 X 10 on session 8 - so 3-4 weeks in. 

Pull ups also well below where I got to before the long break. Was getting 100 reps in 22 mins at that point.  Again, not worried, the numbers should be back in 3-4 weeks. 

Curls and flys as usual - weight not important, just fluff/pump work! 

Don't feel drained at all. The squats were hard on last set but I suspect my body and mind have just forgotten what a really hard squat session is like! My 132.5 X10 sets had me nearly on the floor and tonight was just uncomfortable.... but never anywhere near failure. 

Struggling for time to post up logs Simon a couple.of weeks behind!

Numbers for workout 3 below.

10kg X 10, 10kg X 9, 5kg X 7, BW X 5 (best prev session was 17.5kgx10, 15kgx10, 12.5kgx8, BW X 12)

20kg X 10, 20kg X 8, 15kg X 10 (prev best session was 32.5kg, 30kg and 27.5kg all X 10, 20kg X 8 + dropped of BW X 4)

20kg X 10, 10, 10 (prev best session was 25kg X 10,9,7)

Tricep rings 3 X max

Done

Done

Done with 7kgs

Curl variation 3 X max

Done

Workout  4 :

Squats 3x10 in 8-10 range

90kg X 10, 100 kg X 10, 105kg X 10

Pull ups pyramid

59 reps in 15 minutes

Curl variation 3 X max

Done (band curls)

Ring rear flys 5 X max

Done

Deadlifts - singles in 10kg increments from 100kg to 180kg (double at 180kg)

Rack pulls above knee X 3

225kg X 10,10,10 (all the weight I have at home!)

All felt good apart from the 180kg deadlift. Need to get more used to the groove again, far to grindy and lower back probably rounded a bit. Seriously considering getting a trap bar and fecking conventional deadlifts altogether.....I ain't competing and I assume a trap bar will give me similar (better!?l) muscle development. 

Still losing weight before Anavar plans. I feel like I have 8-9 weeks of easy strength gains on this program - basically back to where I was pre taking 8 weeks off- and I don't think there is any problems by taking it before then. 

Also...I have probably only lost about 1kg (weighed in at 89kg last time I was near a scale, but I generally go by mirror and waist size!) and realistically should be dropping another 4kg or 2 inches off waist I reckon before I am ready to 'bulk' on the var. It is mighty tempting just to go for it now though!!