Sign in to follow this  
TERBO

Laptops, what's good?

3 hours ago, neverminder said:

You're not gonna get a decent laptop for 500. Think about it, you won't even get a good phone for that kinda money. Last month I dropped 5 grand on the most powerful laptop on the planet. If you want an average laptop you need to shell out at least a grand. Dell makes good laptops.

Alternatively, you could consider a Chromebook.

And in 2 weeks it won't be the most powerful laptop anymore. Well played bro, well played.

19 minutes ago, EpicSquats said:

And in 2 weeks it won't be the most powerful laptop anymore. Well played bro, well played.

Not for another year. Intel is not releasing new gen of CPUs twice a month B) In any case, new stuff is released all the time, but this is my business tool. If I need it, when I need it - I buy it.

11 minutes ago, neverminder said:

Not for another year. Intel is not releasing new gen of CPUs twice a month B) In any case, new stuff is released all the time, but this is my business tool. If I need it, when I need it - I buy it.

Yeah it's your money bro, why not?

13 hours ago, drwae said:

Apple MacBook Pro

I've had mine for 6 years and it's not suffered a single issue in that time... they're expensive but they last. I don't see myself replacing it for years yet

x2 for Mac - they last. works flawlessly. mines opens just as fast as the day I got it. 

op, I'm pretty computer savvy & fix most of my mates. I always say to everyone who asks, just get the best processor you can for what you want to spend. yours is already quite a powerful set up. No need to spend loads unless it's for hard core gaming etc. Let's face it, you will always end up buying something you like, rather than something sh1t hot, but you hate. 

14 hours ago, TERBO said:

I'm in the market for a new laptop as had my HP Pavillion for around 6 years now and fancy an upgrade, will just be for home use, no gaming.

Always had HP laptops and always had overheating issues caused by the fan, so maybe looking at Lenovo, are they any good?

I'm currently running i5 core processor (4th gen) with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD, so would be looking for similar specs without spending over £500.

Probably don't need 1TB storage so happy to drop to 256 SSD as have a separate hard drive.

Seen 10th gen i3 laptops which look pretty decent, but then seen better reviews for the AMD Ryzen 3 and 5 so open to suggestions?

What's wrong with yours now? 

If it still works why waste the money 

14 hours ago, TERBO said:

That's good to know thanks... been looking at the V15's, comes in various guises.

Never had one of those, we always get the business versions T4xx. Mine spends half its life in the laptop part of a tool bag, getting bounced around the boot and dragged round customers, never had an issue with it. Last one was years past its renewal date before I bothered.

5 hours ago, mrwright said:

What's wrong with yours now? 

If it still works why waste the money 

Nothing really wrong with current laptop, still works fine and boots up quick.

Good point really, just fancy a change... only noticeable difference will be the screen, 1080p over 768.

Had an offer on mine which prompted me looking at newer models.

10 minutes ago, TERBO said:

Good point really, just fancy a change... only noticeable difference will be the screen, 1080p over 768.

If you're over 40 not sure you'll notice much difference, don't think my eyes work in UHD, went from 1080 to 4k, wouldn't say it was worth the extra money.

37 minutes ago, Denied said:

If you're over 40 not sure you'll notice much difference, don't think my eyes work in UHD, went from 1080 to 4k, wouldn't say it was worth the extra money.

The difference between 1080 and 4K is massive. With 4K monitor that is 27 inch or smaller you basically don't need antialiasing, those who are more IT savvy understand what this means. You can decrease the font size thus fitting more content while not sacrificing readability. All the vector based objects look a lot better, etc. All the content is in the process of accepting 4K as a standard, so 4K screen is more future proof as well.

1 hour ago, TERBO said:

If it were me I'd just keep using the one you got. It's your money but I wouldn't throw money away for a slightly better picture. 

3 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

If it were me I'd just keep using the one you got. It's your money but I wouldn't throw money away for a slightly better picture. 

Yeah I know it seems daft just to get a slightly bigger and better screen, although cash back on mine makes it easier I suppose.

Keep toying with changing my old mobile but same issue, nothing really wrong with current one and only real difference would be the screen.

Guess I'm just bored lol.

18 hours ago, Denied said:

I work for IBM so use a lot of Lenovo products and never had any issues with them and my work laptop takes some hammering.

22 minutes ago, neverminder said:

The difference between 1080 and 4K is massive. With 4K monitor that is 27 inch or smaller you basically don't need antialiasing, those who are more IT savvy understand what this means. You can decrease the font size thus fitting more content while not sacrificing readability. All the vector based objects look a lot better, etc. All the content is in the process of accepting 4K as a standard, so 4K screen is more future proof as well.

Nope don't know anything about computers.:tongue:

Plus 4k, is £1k plus, not going to get a future proof 4k laptop for 500uid.

11 minutes ago, TERBO said:

Yeah I know it seems daft just to get a slightly bigger and better screen, although cash back on mine makes it easier I suppose.

Keep toying with changing my old mobile but same issue, nothing really wrong with current one and only real difference would be the screen.

Guess I'm just bored lol.

Well it's up to you. My phone is a 2nd hand samsung S8 that I payed less than £200 last year I think. It does what I want it to do and I'll keep using it while it keeps working. 

22 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

Well it's up to you. My phone is a 2nd hand samsung S8 that I payed less than £200 last year I think. It does what I want it to do and I'll keep using it while it keeps working. 

I can't justify upgrading both, and as prices for the S10 and S20 are still similar I'm holding off on the phone.

My laptop is being used way more since lockdown and do occasionally have issues when I'm doing a lot at the same time, the newer 10th gen i3 walks all over my older i5 4th gen so this is why I'm looking at upgrading. SSD is also quicker than HDD plus getting a 15.6 screen over my 15" is a bonus, as would FHD over 720.

Think I've convinced myself now ;)

On 8/19/2020 at 11:03 PM, EpicSquats said:

Tbh, it's long been known Microsoft and the graphic card makers drip feed their wares. 

If you wasn't concerned about reselling you could probably get 10 years out of your desktop. If it's for simple tasks i.e. ms office, emails etc you could probably run it til the CPU burned it's last transistor.

I bought a lenovo from currys like 4 years ago. I produce beats which is very high on CPU, it gets warm i suppose, but it has never failed me once and always keeps up. Never saw the point in spending big money on a laptop if its just for home use. It was  £350 new and i probably could have got it cheaper elsewhere.  I also use photoshop alot and video editing 

3 hours ago, SwoleTip said:

I bought a lenovo from currys like 4 years ago. I produce beats which is very high on CPU, it gets warm i suppose, but it has never failed me once and always keeps up. Never saw the point in spending big money on a laptop if its just for home use. It was  £350 new and i probably could have got it cheaper elsewhere.  I also use photoshop alot and video editing 

I think some people are just computer snobs. Most people just want to browse the web, do a bit of online shopping and watch a few videos. You can do that for a few hundred pounds.