UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Laptops, what's good?

454 views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  TURBS 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new laptop as had my HP Pavillion for around 6 years now and fancy an upgrade, will just be for home use, no gaming.

Always had HP laptops and always had overheating issues caused by the fan, so maybe looking at Lenovo, are they any good?

I'm currently running i5 core processor (4th gen) with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD, so would be looking for similar specs without spending over £500.

Probably don't need 1TB storage so happy to drop to 256 SSD as have a separate hard drive.

Seen 10th gen i3 laptops which look pretty decent, but then seen better reviews for the AMD Ryzen 3 and 5 so open to suggestions?

#12 ·
You're not gonna get a decent laptop for 500. Think about it, you won't even get a good phone for that kinda money. Last month I dropped 5 grand on the most powerful laptop on the planet. If you want an average laptop you need to shell out at least a grand. Dell makes good laptops.
Bollox. You can get a half decent laptop for what he wants for a monkey all day long

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Apple make great laptops. I am typing this on a new 16 inch which rights many of the wrongs of the previous years. They tend to be more robust and better designed than their competitors as well. They are not perfect though. I am also a software developer and recognise that the thermals are still not great if you are getting the cpu to do some really heavy lifting. The Dell mentioned above would be better for thermals but bugger carrying that monster back and forth to the office each day.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
You get what you pay for with everything but Macs. So dell, Lenovo, Toshiba etc all good but the more you pay the better.

Do agree about hp, had to replace the fan in my dads twice before he just scrapped it and bought something else. As I type this can hear the fan in my wife's hp grinding away. Only 18 months old.

Unless you're paying silly money I'd pop into a shop. If it's not for gaming the most important thing, is if you like the feel of the mouse and keyboard. The trackpads on cheap laptops are not always the best to use.

Would also avoid the budget CPUs as well.

I work for IBM so use a lot of Lenovo products and never had any issues with them and my work laptop takes some hammering.

#31 ·
op, I'm pretty computer savvy & fix most of my mates. I always say to everyone who asks, just get the best processor you can for what you want to spend. yours is already quite a powerful set up. No need to spend loads unless it's for hard core gaming etc. Let's face it, you will always end up buying something you like, rather than something sh1t hot, but you hate.

#32 ·
I'm in the market for a new laptop as had my HP Pavillion for around 6 years now and fancy an upgrade, will just be for home use, no gaming.

Always had HP laptops and always had overheating issues caused by the fan, so maybe looking at Lenovo, are they any good?

I'm currently running i5 core processor (4th gen) with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD, so would be looking for similar specs without spending over £500.

Probably don't need 1TB storage so happy to drop to 256 SSD as have a separate hard drive.

Seen 10th gen i3 laptops which look pretty decent, but then seen better reviews for the AMD Ryzen 3 and 5 so open to suggestions?
What's wrong with yours now?

If it still works why waste the money

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
I bought a lenovo from currys like 4 years ago. I produce beats which is very high on CPU, it gets warm i suppose, but it has never failed me once and always keeps up. Never saw the point in spending big money on a laptop if its just for home use. It was £350 new and i probably could have got it cheaper elsewhere. I also use photoshop alot and video editing

#50 ·
I wouldn't become a Mac Head. You will be paying about 70% more for the Crapple compared to the same hardware on a Windows laptop. Different operating system also takes some getting used to, keyboard shortcuts on Crapple suck..

My personal opinion would be to go for a Windows ASUS laptop.

#51 ·
I wouldn't become a Mac Head. You will be paying about 70% more for the Crapple compared to the same hardware on a Windows laptop. Different operating system also takes some getting used to, keyboard shortcuts on Crapple suck..

My personal opinion would be to go for a Windows ASUS laptop.
70% more is a good deal when it is probably going to last 3 times as long and still be worth a pretty penny when you want to change,

I don't get the hate for the Mac, damn good laptops which are well made with great usability and support. There is a reason why many IT professionals have them given the choice. I have worked with some of the most renowned and cleverest geeks on the planet and the majority do their stuff on Mac laptops - they might choose something different for a Linux desktop setup when they want more horsepower but if you want something to chuck into a backpack a Macbook is a great bit of kit.

Sure, if you want to play games then go for a Windows machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.