EpicSquats

How much is sunshine worth?

We could all go and live in Spain or Greece if wanted and get guaranteed hot sunny summers.

But the vast majority of us don't. Why is that?  How much is sunshine actually worth?

I've lived in foreign countries for a few months before and the language barriers just annoyed me too much in the end. Locals seem to hate the brits by default in a lot of places, often for good reason when I see how some of us act on holiday. May emigrate in future but would have to fully commit and learn the language before hand. 

Don't get the question. But will try and answer, after 2 weeks I'm f**ked with time in the sunshine, get fed up with the change in food too, language is always a ballache and surpringly enough I miss being productive at work.

To summarise.

There is no place like home.

1 hour ago, Fattynomore said:

Don't get the question. But will try and answer, after 2 weeks I'm f**ked with time in the sunshine, get fed up with the change in food too, language is always a ballache and surpringly enough I miss being productive at work.

To summarise.

There is no place like home.

Where are you bro?

3 hours ago, EpicSquats said:

We could all go and live in Spain or Greece if wanted and get guaranteed hot sunny summers.

But the vast majority of us don't. Why is that?  How much is sunshine actually worth?

Hard to find well paid employment in the sunnier parts of the world. 

I live in Vietnam though. Love it. Can't beat asian spinners. 

4 minutes ago, shredcity said:

Hard to find well paid employment in the sunnier parts of the world. 

I live in Vietnam though. Love it. Can't beat asian spinners. 

What do you mean by Asian spinners?

36 minutes ago, ausmaz said:

I live in a hot climate.... and work in an even hotter one.... and it's difficult at times, not as horrible however as a British winter....those things were soul destroying :(

My point exactly mate.

2 weeks holiday and I'm done can't wait to get back home.

On the flip side 15 years scaffolding in British winters is soul destroying at times guys,builds character though.

Can't win though it's either too warm too cold too dusty too wet too windy too snowy. :thumb

17 years,losing the fuc*king plot lol :thumb

1 hour ago, Popeye66 said:

Me n the mrs are thinking of going either to Spain or Portugal to live in the next few years. Always loved hot weather so could end up selling up here and moving.

Do you have a specific area of Spain or Portugal in mind or haven't you got that far yet?

8 minutes ago, EpicSquats said:

Do you have a specific area of Spain or Portugal in mind or haven't you got that far yet?

Yes mate done a lot of background work on it. Pretty much narrowed it down to Almeria in Spain or Pinhal Novo in Portugal. Think we’re going out to both places next year to have a feel for the place. Still doing research as yet. A big clincher would be the meds I get here would I get over there. I would in Portugal by looks of it, not sure in Spain as yet.

ive always wanted to do it, it’s always been my dream to live in the sun. Had a boys holiday in my teens and it’s never gone away.

Since I've left London about 3 years ago I've lived in few sunny places 

Valencia - been there almost a year.

Amazing place, winters are not even cold, I mean you get maybe a week of cold and 3 weeks of warm spring like, summer are roasting though. 

But nothing beat being at the beach with a few beers and a friend at the end of January with 26C sunny weather. 

Job situation in VLC is non existent though I been forced to do my own business to live which wasn't bad at all thanks to all the Brits coming for the holiday season, cheap life, good food and I speak Spanish fluently so no issues there (except a crazy ex wife but that's another story) people are nice and crime is virtually non existent. 

Lisbon, been there only few months. 

Hot summer, warm autumns but from end of November weather get windy cold, cloudy and it resemble London where is dark at 4:30pm, besides ocean water is cold! Don't speak Portuguese although I can understand a bit but it was unnecessary as 80% of people speaks English there, food very nice people too.

Low crime but few dodgy faces in center at night. Some international companies therefore some jobs opportunities. 

Málaga been there 7 months. 

Winter is a joke, had 2 days of semi cold all in all was like a giant spring time and hot summers, Málaga unless you are 70 and retired can be a pretty boring place but the Andalucía region is very beautiful to explore for natural stuff. 

Cheap life there too, I had a giant modern flat with comunal open swimming pool in a residence for 500 quid a month plus bills. Job almost non existent. 

Crime virtually low or non existent except for a couple of rundown areas that you'd visit only if you need drugs

Madrid been there almost a year.

Seasonal weather so cold winters but long springs and summers. 

Busy city, noisy, interesting stuff to do many jobs opportunities, crime well, it's a big city some areas are to avoid but generally pretty safe, great for parties but no sea. Rent starts to creep up a lot from other mentioned places except Lisbon were rent is increasing at a stupid high rate. 

Warsaw lived there a month 

Can't say much except that July in there it was like British summer, city is quite modern and people are alright, many gorgeous women everywhere, cheap as f**k, prices for everything are ridiculously low

Bucharest just arrived a week ago

Cheap but somehow food seems more expensive than in Poland, rent is cheap as a joke I got a huge flat with living room, separated kitchen, 2 toilets and master bedroom with balcony with bills included and cleaner + towels services for 500 quid a month. 

Very hot summer like 30/40 degrees, as soon as restrictions ease off girlfriend and I will go for a weekend on the black sea as is like 90 minutes drive from the capital. 

City can be dirty, definitely not your Brits standards, didn't notice crime, police seems pretty effective here but many dodgy faces. 

Of course beautiful gorgeous women at every corner in fact gf she is Romanian 

Can't say much more because I just arrived a week ago. 

Hope this helps a little. 

Peace 

My old man moved out to Spain to retire, never looked back. 

Think its in my blood too. I spend a least an hour a day watching place in the sun. Its the education for my kids thats stopping us. Our plan in about 10/15 years is sell up buy a smaller house here and a place in the sun. 

Kids will probably only holiday with us for the next 10 years. Then start exploring potential area. 

Spain is attractive for prices and tge short flights. I was recurching costa rica the other week, looks a beautiful place.

I hate England, not the weather etc, its the people, its the traffic, people have no manners these days, everyone is stressed and hocked up to their eyeballs with debt, morgages, car pcps all so their friends think they're minted.

I fancy somewhere nice and quiet in the country and a holiday home in the mountains abroad. 

24 minutes ago, Popeye66 said:

Yes mate done a lot of background work on it. Pretty much narrowed it down to Almeria in Spain or Pinhal Novo in Portugal. Think we’re going out to both places next year to have a feel for the place. Still doing research as yet. A big clincher would be the meds I get here would I get over there. I would in Portugal by looks of it, not sure in Spain as yet.

ive always wanted to do it, it’s always been my dream to live in the sun. Had a boys holiday in my teens and it’s never gone away.

I'm pretty much the same as you. I find that sunshine puts me in a good mood and lack of sunshine puts me in a gloomy mood. I'd rather not live my whole life in a country with lots of rain and cloudy days given the choice. And I actually do have the choice since I work from home. 

I'm on citalopram for depression so I should look into whether I can get that in Spain which is my first choice.

As far as which region in Spain I would want somewhere green and not dry since I like to see green grass. That kind of limits my options lol. So I'm still at the investigation stage.

16 minutes ago, IronJohnDoe said:

Since I've left London about 3 years ago I've lived in few sunny places 

Valencia - been there almost a year.

Amazing place, winters are not even cold, I mean you get maybe a week of cold and 3 weeks of warm spring like, summer are roasting though. 

But nothing beat being at the beach with a few beers and a friend at the end of January with 26C sunny weather. 

Job situation in VLC is non existent though I been forced to do my own business to live which wasn't bad at all thanks to all the Brits coming for the holiday season, cheap life, good food and I speak Spanish fluently so no issues there (except a crazy ex wife but that's another story) people are nice and crime is virtually non existent. 

Lisbon, been there only few months. 

Hot summer, warm autumns but from end of November weather get windy cold, cloudy and it resemble London where is dark at 4:30pm, besides ocean water is cold! Don't speak Portuguese although I can understand a bit but it was unnecessary as 80% of people speaks English there, food very nice people too.

Low crime but few dodgy faces in center at night. Some international companies therefore some jobs opportunities. 

Málaga been there 7 months. 

Winter is a joke, had 2 days of semi cold all in all was like a giant spring time and hot summers, Málaga unless you are 70 and retired can be a pretty boring place but the Andalucía region is very beautiful to explore for natural stuff. 

Cheap life there too, I had a giant modern flat with comunal open swimming pool in a residence for 500 quid a month plus bills. Job almost non existent. 

Crime virtually low or non existent except for a couple of rundown areas that you'd visit only if you need drugs

Madrid been there almost a year.

Seasonal weather so cold winters but long springs and summers. 

Busy city, noisy, interesting stuff to do many jobs opportunities, crime well, it's a big city some areas are to avoid but generally pretty safe, great for parties but no sea. Rent starts to creep up a lot from other mentioned places except Lisbon were rent is increasing at a stupid high rate. 

Warsaw lived there a month 

Can't say much except that July in there it was like British summer, city is quite modern and people are alright, many gorgeous women everywhere, cheap as f**k, prices for everything are ridiculously low

Bucharest just arrived a week ago

Cheap but somehow food seems more expensive than in Poland, rent is cheap as a joke I got a huge flat with living room, separated kitchen, 2 toilets and master bedroom with balcony with bills included and cleaner + towels services for 500 quid a month. 

Very hot summer like 30/40 degrees, as soon as restrictions ease off girlfriend and I will go for a weekend on the black sea as is like 90 minutes drive from the capital. 

City can be dirty, definitely not your Brits standards, didn't notice crime, police seems pretty effective here but many dodgy faces. 

Of course beautiful gorgeous women at every corner in fact gf she is Romanian 

Can't say much more because I just arrived a week ago. 

Hope this helps a little. 

Peace 

Great info, thanks.

I prefer Portugal than Spain. Hot and sunny I like in small doses but I actually prefer our short and Cold days in the winter. A good summer isn’t always guaranteed in those countries because when it rains there it’s worse than ours