MFM

Anyone lost their job during the lockdown?

I was made redundant after 17 years at the same organisation. Quite a shock and horrible situation to be in. Thankfully I managed to walk straight into another senior position less than 2 weeks after my employment ended, but I know there are many people who aren't as fortunate. 

I can imagine there are many people losing their homes because of this and there are also desperate people committing suicide as they feel they have no other option. 

If there is anyone on here that has it really bad, maybe we can try and help out somehow. I know I would have appreciated it. 

I got made redundant when I think I was 18. We were taken over by a US company initially promised we'd keep our jobs then few weeks later made the announcement. This was in 2007 right after the finacial crisis. 

Nothing has come easy for me and has always been a uphill battle. Luckily I'm good with money and I'm quite fincially secure, albeit I've probably not been on half as many holidays as you lads have, but I'm def glad I'm not up at night worrying about money. I knew many people would live for now and today, always in overdraft, mostly the younger girls, even after we would be given a very, very generous bonus end of year, by next month they'd have nothing to show for it. 

I handed my notice in when this all started. I have some money put by and a couple of modest pensions I can access in a couple of months to pay the bills, so decided it was time to let someone younger and more enthusiastic to take over. Not one single person has even applied for the job in more than 4 months. There are jobs out there.

...don't get too excited though, I was a Maths Teacher:whistling:

2 hours ago, EpicSquats said:

"A recession is when your neighbour loses his job. A depression is when you lose your own. "

It's hard to put your self in other people's shoes sometimes.

Tell me about it pal, I'm an 11.

I've lost mine on April as I was a sales rep for a company that was selling b2b services to the hospitality sector in Italy... 

I remember I was in Madrid and I thought I got some savings and then? 

I've learnt to day trade and no, I'm not (yet) nowhere near being rich but at least I been able to maintain myself and change a couple of countries just for the sake of trying living some place else. 

Now, knowing what I know now about trades I'm half happy about losing my job, half because due to a very limited personal capital to invest and due to using all profits to maintain myself I cannot expand and make more. 

Right now if I'd find a office job so to be able to not touch the trading earnings and being able to throw some extra cash in I would be golden in 12-24 months depending on the market moves. 

Will see what the future holds.

I can't complain though even if at first I was a bit desperate with no job offers and locked at home in the end I don't think I would have ever think about learning trading when I had that comfy office job. 

So in my case losing my job wasn't totally negative. 

Although sometimes I miss that steady cash plus very high bonuses, job was pretty easy, timetable was great and with was I was making it was almost like being rich

I lost my job at the very start of COVID 19 , they walked 127 us off the premises on March the 16th, was absolutely gutted because I loved my job and was working really hard for a promotion. I’ve never felt depressed but I was really down about the whole situation as we were trying to look into getting a bigger house at the time and everything was in place. 

I applied for jobs the day I lost mine and all I managed to get was a Tesco delivery driver job for the last 3-4 months part time. The hardest job I’ve done for the least amount of money but it’s kept a roof over our heads. Fast forward to today and I’ve got a new job, we’ve put our house on the market and all clear for our next mortgage, also had another potential job thrown in front of me.... it’s funny how life can change so quickly. 

I’ve honestly never been so thankful to be falling into a fairly decent job at the moment. 

Not recently but I got made redundant the week before my first ever mortgage payment.  Arrived at work to find the workshop locked our toolboxes in the showroom and the manager just waiting for everyone to arrive. Everyone else stood around discussing what had happened and what /if we would get paid. I jumped on my bike rode to another car dealer and got a job to start 2 days later. 

Have been made redundant  3 times. Every time lead to a pay rise. 

got made redundant back in April after 11 years with the company.... I've been temping since, working my [email protected] off for s**t money.... although I've got a six month contract coming up in the next few weeks that pays very well, so can't grumble. There's work out there.... but it's not permanent..... and most of it pays terribly:(

I've just taken voluntary redundancy after 17 years at my company. Hard decision, but I did it as I really fear for them. Making loads more redundant & possibly more in the future. They are also loads in debt. I figured I'd take the money & run now. 

14 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

I would fu**ing hate it with a passion If I got fired and had to work another job for less money 

This is likely  to be reality for many people; unfortunately  I believe we are only going  to see the true affect of this in the  first quarter of next year.

I work in commercial insurance and we have made redundancies ive been lucky ive been there 9 years so am safe. 

But have had to take 20 per cent paycut may/june/july and 10 per cent aug/sept/oct to help the company. 

I feel for alot of people out there its not gunna be a easy year or so