a.notherguy

question for electricians of ukm

Hi all,

Is it possible to swap a lightswtich for an plug socket? 

Its in a garage so the (old!) wiring is all wall mounted as easily accessable.  i have a light swtich that i dont use which happens to be exactly where i would like a socket.

Not a straight swop. It’s on a different fuse circuit. It’s doable but you’ll need a Sparkey to change things around a bit or at least someone who is competent. It’s not something I’d personally attempt.

22 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Not a straight swop. It’s on a different fuse circuit. It’s doable but you’ll need a Sparkey to change things around a bit or at least someone who is competent. It’s not something I’d personally attempt.

As well as being on a different fuse circuit, it will also be creating the ‘loop’ for the light outlet to be live when you’re using the plug socket. 

would need a sparky to reconfigure it.

1 hour ago, Sasnak said:

1 hour ago, Wildkid said:

As well as being on a different fuse circuit, it will also be creating the ‘loop’ for the light outlet to be live when you’re using the plug socket. 

would need a sparky to reconfigure it.

Cheers guys. Think I will call someone out rather than kill myself with a shock, or worse... Burn the garage down and have the wife moan about it for the rest of my life 

1 hour ago, a.notherguy said:

Cheers guys. Think I will call someone out rather than kill myself with a shock, or worse... Burn the garage down and have the wife moan about it for the rest of my life 

Your whole garage electrics may be on its own fuse and the Garage light not be part of the house lights circuit. Easy to check by flicking the switch at the fuse box then go try it. 

4 hours ago, a.notherguy said:

Hi all,

Is it possible to swap a lightswtich for an plug socket? 

Its in a garage so the (old!) wiring is all wall mounted as easily accessable.  i have a light swtich that i dont use which happens to be exactly where i would like a socket.

Light bulb moment for Ar Anotherguy

4 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Prolly licking the switch. :thumb

Don't know what kind of weirdo you think I am but I would never lick a light switch. Light bulbs are much warmer and the smoothness feels good on my tongue. 

1 hour ago, Seppuku71 said:

Answer - no.  As an electrician, i can tell you that your question makes as much sense as asking a surgeon if you can swap an arm for a leg.

I'm defo calling someone out lol. Electrics aren't my strong point.

P.s. what about swapping a hand for a foot? Know any surgeons I could ask?

1 hour ago, Seppuku71 said:

Answer - no.  As an electrician, i can tell you that your question makes as much sense as asking a surgeon if you can swap an arm for a leg.

If they could would you tho?? 

Socket    cable  fuse size his different  from  lighting  lights  are  usually  1.5 mm cable an  6amp fuse sockets  usually  2.5 cable  16 amp  or 32 amp depending   if it's  a ring or radical circuit  if you  got another socket  in the garage  you could  spur off it a easy job

16 hours ago, Seppuku71 said:

Light outside socket, has no power going through, is this simply a broken fuse?

On 14/08/2020 at 10:17 AM, M.I.A said:

Light outside socket, has no power going through, is this simply a broken fuse?

What's "light outside socket"?  Do you mean you have an outside light plugged into an outside socket?  Continental 16 amp socket?  Weatherproof rcd type socket?  It all depends on your setup, but if you're saying there's no power going through then i'm guessing you've tested the circuit so must have either a multimeter or plug in socket tester?

The cable size that the lights are wired in will be 1.5mm and on a 6 amp circuit breaker. If you change the light for a socket you effectively could plug in a appliance that's rated at 13 amps. Resulting in either  the 6 amp  breaker tripping out all the time.  And the 1.5 mm cable over heating 

5 hours ago, MBR said:

The cable size that the lights are wired in will be 1.5mm and on a 6 amp circuit breaker. If you change the light for a socket you effectively could plug in a appliance that's rated at 13 amps. Resulting in either  the 6 amp  breaker tripping out all the time.  And the 1.5 mm cable over heating 

He said a light switch though, not a light.  So it'll likely have a live and a return switched live, not gonna make any kind of socket from that.

4 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Check online. It’s a mine field. 

How come? 

32 minutes ago, Seppuku71 said:

I hate it, wish i'd been something like a postman instead.

After a proper settled job rather than retail labouring or warehouse 

58 minutes ago, Seppuku71 said:

He said a light switch though, not a light.  So it'll likely have a live and a return switched live, not gonna make any kind of socket from that.

My bad. No neutral,  then no socket. 

35 minutes ago, mrwright said:

How come? 

After a proper settled job rather than retail labouring or warehouse 

You could go for ‘domestic installer’ but that means you can only do that work but it doesn’t make you ‘fully qualified’. You could do a college course but again, you’d need to do so many add ons. Some manage to go the whole hog but a lot will give up as so many hoops to jump through. 
You’d best bet is to get an Electrical apprenticeship. 

On 13/08/2020 at 5:52 PM, Seppuku71 said:

Haha, have a like, cos some stupid f**k who owns the site gives you a daily limit.