Sign in to follow this  
sean m

Deadlift tempo

Aim is 3sets of 10reps. 

Is it better to stop and reset every rep on the floor. Or touch ( no bounce)and go so 10 reps non stop .

Personally i think high rep work with deadlifts is a bit pointless. Their a strength movement, i don't usually do more than 5 reps per set, 3 on the working sets. 

To count as a deadlift it must be from a dead stop, you don't want to bounce it off the floor. 

as tony says, dead-lifts from a dead-stop .. touch and go gives you an advantage even if theres no bounce

on the other hand I disagree SLIGHTLY with Tony about rep range .. I believe higher rep ranges do have a place, but only to give your body and CNS a break from constantly lifting heavy, and use these times to focus on technique .. for example I've had a few weeks deadlifting heavy so today I dialed it right back to 150kg and done 4 sets of 10 reps beltless.

On 8/21/2020 at 12:42 PM, Jakemaguire said:

Reps should be no higher than 5 on a deadlift its a power movement, do rdls for sets of 8+ for your volume 

massively broad statement, it completely depends on your goals .. I wouldnt do very good in competitions which have DEADLIFT FOR MAX REPS, if I never trained more than 5 reps ever would I lol .. 

Hi gang,

Independent adjudicator here.

You all have very valid points.

Might be worth taking OPs goals into consideration.

OP, if your goal is absolute strength then stick to the strength rep ranges.

OP, if your goal is hypertrophy then stick to the hypertrophy rep ranges.

Personally, I do dead stop reps, its harder. Stay as tight as possible and don't yank the bar, push with your feet as your hands are merely hooks.

3 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

massively broad statement, it completely depends on your goals .. I wouldnt do very good in competitions which have DEADLIFT FOR MAX REPS, if I never trained more than 5 reps ever would I lol .. 

The biggest lol is the fact that you think sets of 10 are good for building technique tbh, but i guess you have a point about the max reps but most of those events are usually done on stupid bars with tractor wheels by people wearing magic pants a reband suite 3 belts,straps and a knee sleeve on every limb which changes the lift a fair bit. There are much smarter ways to get your volume up and build work capacity 

2 minutes ago, Jakemaguire said:

The biggest lol is the fact that you think sets of 10 are good for building technique tbh, but i guess you have a point about the max reps but most of those events are usually done on stupid bars with tractor wheels by people wearing magic pants a reband suite 3 belts,straps and a knee sleeve on every limb which changes the lift a fair bit. There are much smarter ways to get your volume up and build work capacity 

why do you think some of the best strength coaches in the world include high rep programmes for their athletes? for example Australian Strength coach has a 6 week block doing 10 sets of 6 reps, snatch grip deficit with a slow eccentric .. 60 reps.

also I never specifically said sets of 10 for technique? I said you can do more reps for technique work or for a deload, then gave an example of my workout that day as I was doing them beltless at sets of 10, firstly to give my CNS a break as it was sort of a deload workout, and secondly so that it worked my core more.. to go heavy enough beltless to work my core with 3 or 4 reps per set would've meant it wouldn't have been a light session, which was the aim .. even if I was working on technique though, I'd still be going lighter than a 3 or 5 rep max?

also not sure why you feel the need to take the piss like everyone who does strongman is wrapped up to the hills in equipment, it's generally a neoprene belt for warmth, a lever belt for intra abdominal pressure and straps to hold the bar..  the point is, deadlift for reps is still a very common event, so why wouldnt someone who competes train it?