OptimumPT

The Death of Supplement Shops?

Do you purchase supplements online or in a shop?
Recent research shows that 13 main supplement shops across the UK account for 35% of supplements sold & with city centres being less populated due to Covid  it’s thought that online shopping will increase.

Do you use the same online retailer or shop around for deals or do you like the personal touch & product advice in store?

Were high street supplement shops ever a thing? Genuinely don't know anyone semi serious about fitness shopping at Holland & Barrett

46 minutes ago, Malin said:

Were high street supplement shops ever a thing? Genuinely don't know anyone semi serious about fitness shopping at Holland & Barrett

There’s a few high street supplement shops. I don’t know if there’s as many these days. Holland & Barrett sell loads of weight lifting supplements 

1 hour ago, OptimumPT said:

Recent research shows that 13 main supplement shops across the UK account for 35% of supplements sold & with city centres being less populated due to Covid  it’s thought that online shopping will increase.

Do you use the same online retailer or shop around for deals or do you like the personal touch & product advice in store?

I always found product advice in supplement shops to be next to useless tbh

We should all really know what we're looking for in supps...

Whether it's what type of whey, carbs or even levels of beta alanine and caffeine in a pre-workout...I think having the knowledge yourself is so much more valuable than asking a supplement shop owner's advice...which will always be dictated to some degree by what's gonna make them the most profit

Plus I have a dislike of paying twice as much as I do from MP or bulk powders just for fancy branding and packaging

If you take your supplements seriously then surely most will shop online as better deals and quality about.

I always buy online as from what I've seen in shops the supplements look pretty basic, occasionally a deal but usually well over priced.

I guess they make most their money through fad buyers and clueless shoppers.

17 minutes ago, Malin said:

I've used them 2 or 3 times when I've ran out and felt like I'd been raped every time I walked out

Online is better by far. You get a better selction and your able to search and compare prices. Most people will do the same and just go with who's doing the best deals at that time. Holland and barrett are the only shop that comes to mind but as said there really overpriced and dont have a great selection.

Online for me as well, I'll shop around for best deal and discount. 

Don't mind paying a bit extra for a brand as the flavours are normally much nicer. 

A supplement shop shut down near me late last year and had been open for 15+ years

Prices weren't bad but can't compete online 

Pay 2 or 3 times more for the same stuff in a shop because it has a light up sign above the door?

Dont see the point personally. Most shops are becoming defunct now, and to be honest supplement shops aren't really a great business to go into. 

I used to love going in the 80's and 90's, it was a good day out, getting the bus into town, having a good look around the shops like GNC, and the Weider fitness shop, cant remember the actual name of it, looking through the latest bodybuilding magazines, and eventually buying one and reading it on the bus on the way home, oh and not forgetting and tough as old boots protein bar near the till.

I've never seen a supplement shop, I didn't even know they exist.. 

Saying that, I can't remember I purchased something from a shop.

Food - online

Weed - online 

Gear - online

Clothes - online

I think supplement shops as well as other certain shops will still run for a couple more decades yet due to either asymmetric information or old dogs refusing to learn new tricks. 

My local one is now an half sunbed shop, half supps shop

Some dumb ass blonde girl behind the counter doing her nails looking like she has never stepped foot in a gym in her life

Don't for the life of me know how she will engage with a gym rat or offer any advice on what products are suitable but I no longer care anymore, I can pay much less and get more than double if I buy online, so it is a no brainer for me

Danny

19 hours ago, OptimumPT said:

There’s a couple near me. One in Wimbledon,  in a shopping centre. GNC I think. Stocks shitloads. Never bought anything as it’s a rip off. Always empty of customers.

Another one in Sutton, has this 5 foot model of a Green Hulk outside. Nice!

Again, sells 900grams whey for £23. Guy tried to convince/debate with me how his differs to the online ones that are filled with sugars blah blah. Soon fcuking closed him down. Makes no fcuking difference if having one shake a day whether it’s his or BBW/MP/BP. Price matters. 

I only have one a day Mon-Fri as it’s easy for work to have oats/whey shake until midday. Pissed off that BBW have ramped up their price again. Cumts! Not interested in shiny bags and Velcro zip. It’s whey you cheeky bastards. 

A lot of negative things said about Holland and Barrett here. Yeah I get they’re not the best for proper bodybuilding supplements but I sometimes pop in for a pre workout drink (cheaper than in the gym), nuts are reasonable etc. That 1p thing they do sometimes makes stuff cheap. But I do Get everything I need online these days. 

1 hour ago, PSevens2017 said:

There’s a couple near me. One in Wimbledon,  in a shopping centre. GNC I think. Stocks shitloads. Never bought anything as it’s a rip off. Always empty of customers.

Another one in Sutton, has this 5 foot model of a Green Hulk outside. Nice!

Again, sells 900grams whey for £23. Guy tried to convince/debate with me how his differs to the online ones that are filled with sugars blah blah. Soon fcuking closed him down. Makes no fcuking difference if having one shake a day whether it’s his or BBW/MP/BP. Price matters. 

I only have one a day Mon-Fri as it’s easy for work to have oats/whey shake until midday. Pissed off that BBW have ramped up their price again. Cumts! Not interested in shiny bags and Velcro zip. It’s whey you cheeky bastards. 

One by me was called reps and sets