Sign in to follow this  
lewdylewd

Scaffolding Power Rack

Anyone ever made one?

Im thinking about a home gym, just ordered those adjustable dumbells so far. So as not to use up a whole room in my house I’m thinking on using my shed and the area outside my shed which is covered by a lean-to roof.

Will decent equipment be ok if it’s kept dry but outside?

Also as per thread title is it worth doing some DIY items with scaffolding (especially considering current inflated prices and the fact it’s outside)?

Got no idea about scaffolding cage but as for kit going rusty.....

I left some bars and plates on the floor of mother's garage whilst I was moving house and they rusted in weeks as damp was coming up through the floor.

When my new house was ready I dumped the bars and dumbbell handles. Hammeritted the plates and set up a gym in my garage (built in the 50's, detached single skin walls and has a pit in it which fills with water when it rains alot). I also bought a cage bench cable station and new bars, dumbbells and an oly bar and more plates.

In the last few years the only things that have rusted are the dumbbell bars and only on the handles so most likely hand sweat causing the issue. Everything else is rust free.

Worth noting that I painted the floor and then put rubber matting down and also I have water dripping from the metal girders that support my roof when it's cold and damp.

Saying all that, even tho I've had no issues in what can be a damp environment, if I had adjustable dumbbells I would keep them inside incase any of the complicated bits rusted and caused issues with adjustment. Bit pricier to replace than a tub of paint and some 20 quid handles.

25 minutes ago, a.notherguy said:

Got no idea about scaffolding cage but as for kit going rusty.....

I left some bars and plates on the floor of mother's garage whilst I was moving house and they rusted in weeks as damp was coming up through the floor.

When my new house was ready I dumped the bars and dumbbell handles. Hammeritted the plates and set up a gym in my garage (built in the 50's, detached single skin walls and has a pit in it which fills with water when it rains alot). I also bought a cage bench cable station and new bars, dumbbells and an oly bar and more plates.

In the last few years the only things that have rusted are the dumbbell bars and only on the handles so most likely hand sweat causing the issue. Everything else is rust free.

Worth noting that I painted the floor and then put rubber matting down and also I have water dripping from the metal girders that support my roof when it's cold and damp.

Saying all that, even tho I've had no issues in what can be a damp environment, if I had adjustable dumbbells I would keep them inside incase any of the complicated bits rusted and caused issues with adjustment. Bit pricier to replace than a tub of paint and some 20 quid handles.

Thanks for the reply. Gives me a bit to think about.

r.e the adjustable dumbells yeah they might need looking after, but I’m actually in 2 minds whether to keep them or sell them for a profit as I got them very cheaply. @drwae how much did you pay for yours? Are the 5-40kg?

1 hour ago, lewdylewd said:

Anyone ever made one?

Im thinking about a home gym, just ordered those adjustable dumbells so far. So as not to use up a whole room in my house I’m thinking on using my shed and the area outside my shed which is covered by a lean-to roof.

Will decent equipment be ok if it’s kept dry but outside?

Also as per thread title is it worth doing some DIY items with scaffolding (especially considering current inflated prices and the fact it’s outside)?

If you wanna be quick cheap and easy do 90% of it from scaffold 

Make a rack, will easily hold up for weight etc, add on some dip handles and good to go

Can even use a 7ft strip as an axel style barbell, perfect size for olympic plates 

Just keep the bench and dumbbells safe in the shed wheel them out when you train 

Yes I have made a rack from scaffold; fairly basic.

One reason was because my basement has a low ceiling so normal racks wont fit. 

Used second hand scaffold.

A basic design , I expect it could be improved on.

The hooks are work in progress, the brackets support the weight but I found it difficult to get the bar in them so the additions just make it easier.

Will probably weld the hooks when I get around to it. 

I don`t adjust the height of them as I only use this for squats. 

Rack1.jpg

Rack2.jpg

Rack3.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Gives me a bit to think about.

r.e the adjustable dumbells yeah they might need looking after, but I’m actually in 2 minds whether to keep them or sell them for a profit as I got them very cheaply. @drwae how much did you pay for yours? Are the 5-40kg?

They’re 5-32.5 and I paid £257 for the pair new 

24 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Why not use 4 builders tressles? One pair(Taller set) can be for lifting the bar off and the other pair(lower set) as safeties. 

Yeah I suppose you could do pretty much everything with a couple of sets of adjustable ones.  Bench, squat, seated press etc just all different heights.

Yeah I suppose you could do pretty much everything with a couple of sets of adjustable ones.  Bench, squat, seated press etc just all different heights.

It’d save much messing about. 
much like folk could use jerk boxes in the same way if they have access to wood. 
Got a load of slabs? Use those 

If I was building something in the garden I’d use Wooden fence posts and kee-clamp railing to create what I want. 
Hopefully that’s given you a few ideas  

7 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

much like folk could use jerk boxes in the same way if they have access to wood. 

If I was building something in the garden I’d use Wooden fence posts and kee-clamp railing to create what I want. 

i built a box for squats and box jumps etc. fully adjustable height (with an electric screwdriver and a little bit of patience lol)

Built out of c24 timber (a few quid each from local DIY shop) and some old decking  i had lying around. Cost - less than 20quid. effort - minimal. strength  - could drive a tank over it.

builder tressles - would the fold up kind be any good for rack pulls? I love rack pulls but dont want to damage my cage so havent done them heavy for years now lol.

4 minutes ago, a.notherguy said:

i built a box for squats and box jumps etc. fully adjustable height (with an electric screwdriver and a little bit of patience lol)

Built out of c24 timber (a few quid each from local DIY shop) and some old decking  i had lying around. Cost - less than 20quid. effort - minimal. strength  - could drive a tank over it.

builder tressles - would the fold up kind be any good for rack pulls? I love rack pulls but dont want to damage my cage so havent done them heavy for years now lol.

Damage your cage??!! Haha. 
What numbers you gonna pull? What rack do you have? If you have hollow round safety bars that may bend then go to a steel place and buy some 25mm round bar(solid bar) in mild steel. Check that your tubes are 25mm though but most are. Get them to cut two lengths the same as your safety’s. 
If it’s just scratching your safeties, either man up or put some towels round them or even some plumbing pipe lagging. Seems a bit gay but it’ll work. 
Even easier is to make some boxes or use some kind of steps for the weights to sit on, can also use the step for SLDL and to put under the bench to create a slight decline. 

1 hour ago, a.notherguy said:

EEAE6D92-32BF-40B1-8949-1CF08CE919D0.png

2 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Damage your cage??!! Haha. 
What numbers you gonna pull? What rack do you have? If you have hollow round safety bars that may bend then go to a steel place and buy some 25mm round bar(solid bar) in mild steel. Check that your tubes are 25mm though but most are. Get them to cut two lengths the same as your safety’s. 
If it’s just scratching your safeties, either man up or put some towels round them or even some plumbing pipe lagging. Seems a bit gay but it’ll work. 
Even easier is to make some boxes or use some kind of steps for the weights to sit on, can also use the step for SLDL and to put under the bench to create a slight decline. 

id love to say im pulling 500kg and dont want my hollow safeties to bend but the truth is that even when i was doing them weekly i wasnt able to get upto 200kg and yes............... erm..... i dont want to scratch the paint on my SOLID 25mm safeties......  i already have plumbing laggin on them for that very reason . youd be surprised how insanely careful i am to avoid scratching them when im pulling them out the rack to change their height (wish i was joking but sadly im not!)

33 minutes ago, a.notherguy said:

id love to say im pulling 500kg and dont want my hollow safeties to bend but the truth is that even when i was doing them weekly i wasnt able to get upto 200kg and yes............... erm..... i dont want to scratch the paint on my SOLID 25mm safeties......  i already have plumbing laggin on them for that very reason . youd be surprised how insanely careful i am to avoid scratching them when im pulling them out the rack to change their height (wish i was joking but sadly im not!)

Buy some round bar like in my pic for 20-30quid? Drill the holes and add those pins or use R clips to prevent them sliding out. Your painted safeties will be safe from scratches. 

16 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Yeah it’s going to be at least semi-permanent, so I mights go for something more purpose made than a pile of slabs but liking the fence posts idea, and the trestles. The trestles I’ve seen though the legs may get in the way of my bench.

Having to have a rethink already as the area I was going to use is too narrow for a 7’ bar bell,  may end up in spare room.