Sign in to follow this  
scottysafc

Physics brainteaser

What blows my mind are questions like this - the universe started (apparently) with the 'big bang'.  What was going on before that?  I guess the answer is 'nothing' as time started then. But it's hard to get your mind around that once you live with a concept of time, ie, what was going on an hour before that?....

So far so good, still missing another way though :)

i can't wrap my head around that either. Technically, time travel is possible too. We can do it today.

I don't believe there was 'nothing' 'before' the big bang though.

Stick an bock motor or propeller down into the water and it bores a hole. 

As for the big bang (which isn't without its own problems), it's all very well for mathematics claiming there was nothing before. In which case, where did all the matter and energy originally come from? 

That said, I'm a medical scientist and physics goes over my head. 

18 minutes ago, scottysafc said:

i can't wrap my head around that either. Technically, time travel is possible too. We can do it today.

Coincidence - that was the second conundrum i was thinking about.  Thing is, if it became possible in the future, then that would mean people from the future would be with us now.....  And if you could do it, wouldn't you go back in time and give relatives winning lottery numbers?  Maybe it's already happened?...

7 minutes ago, Seppuku71 said:

Coincidence - that was the second conundrum i was thinking about.  Thing is, if it became possible in the future, then that would mean people from the future would be with us now.....  And if you could do it, wouldn't you go back in time and give relatives winning lottery numbers?  Maybe it's already happened?...

As far as I'm aware, time travel on a macroscopic scale can only be done in one direction: forwards. 

44 minutes ago, Seppuku71 said:

What blows my mind are questions like this - the universe started (apparently) with the 'big bang'.  What was going on before that?  I guess the answer is 'nothing' as time started then. But it's hard to get your mind around that once you live with a concept of time, ie, what was going on an hour before that?....

Another space topic to blow your mind is white dwarf stars that are about the same size of earth or smaller and only surpassed in density by neutron stars and black holes.

Amazing to think that one of the fastest objects made by man took about 35 years to leave the solar system and become interstellar. In 40,000 years it will be within 1.7 light years of it's nearest star.:o

1 minute ago, Fattynomore said:

Another space topic to blow your mind is white dwarf stars that are about the same size of earth or smaller and only surpassed in density by neutron stars and black holes.

Just the sheer size of things in space, distances between things etc blows my mind.  Distances like billions of light years are just crazy, like Icarus which i've just googled and found out about off nasa's web site -

Icarus, whose official name is MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1, is the farthest individual star ever seen. It is only visible because it is being magnified by the gravity of a massive galaxy cluster, located about 5 billion light-years from Earth

39 minutes ago, scottysafc said:

So far so good, still missing another way though :)

I don't believe there was 'nothing' 'before' the big bang though.

We can travel through time, we are all doing it now. Only thing is we can only go forwards and only  at dictated speeds depending on gravity or velocity.

As for before the big bang. I believe it's one of many "big bangs". I've brought into the idea of a multi verse with us all being parallel with many versions of our existence. 

3 minutes ago, Seppuku71 said:

Just the sheer size of things in space, distances between things etc blows my mind.  Distances like billions of light years are just crazy, like Icarus which i've just googled and found out about off nasa's web site -

Icarus, whose official name is MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1, is the farthest individual star ever seen. It is only visible because it is being magnified by the gravity of a massive galaxy cluster, located about 5 billion light-years from Earth

Love all things space, although you wouldn't think it as its especially good if you can't sleep, put a space documentary on phone or tablet, garuanteed I'm sleeping within 10mins especially the Morgan Freeman one:lol:

28 minutes ago, Seppuku71 said:

And if you could do it, wouldn't you go back in time and give relatives winning lottery numbers? 

That’s the paradox - if you went back in time, you’d change the future; therefore you would probably not get to the juncture where you’d need to go back - as you were/would have been affected by travelling back in time, in the first place. And... due to the butterfly effect/chaos theory - by knowing the numbers may mean you change the actual draw, if it even existed in this altered reality. 
s**t, it may even cause a rift in the space-time continuum. 

18 minutes ago, Seppuku71 said:

Just makes you realise that in reality, science so disproves God :mellow:

4 minutes ago, TERBO said:

Just makes you realise that in reality, science so disproves God :mellow:

That finding, like most we do, have nothing to do with existence of God. We cannot prove not disprove it. 

1 minute ago, YoelD said:

That finding, like most we do, have nothing to do with existence of God. We cannot prove not disprove it. 

Maybe not but listen to them and its proof they're all fcuking idiots.

15 minutes ago, hmgs said:

That’s the paradox - if you went back in time, you’d change the future; therefore you would probably not get to the juncture where you’d need to go back - as you were/would have been affected by travelling back in time, in the first place. And... due to the butterfly effect/chaos theory - by knowing the numbers may mean you change the actual draw, if it even existed in this altered reality. 
s**t, it may even cause a rift in the space-time continuum. 

That's deep......

28 minutes ago, YoelD said:

In my mind there is absolutely no proof of a God... man has always worshiped something, it's a bad trait of our free will.

With an open mind and some decent intelligence, the bible is laughable, it's no more than stories made up by men to control other men.

In this day and age many people don't worship a God but I guarantee most worship something in their lives, whether that be a football team or a popstar etc.

Again just my point of view, but religion has destroyed this planet.

34 minutes ago, Fattynomore said:

Maybe not but listen to them and its proof they're all fcuking idiots.

So is someone claiming something can be in two places at the same time.

Like photons. 

12 minutes ago, TERBO said:

In my mind there is absolutely no proof of a God... man has always worshiped something, it's a bad trait of our free will.

With an open mind and some decent intelligence, the bible is laughable, it's no more than stories made up by men to control other men.

In this day and age many people don't worship a God but I guarantee most worship something in their lives, whether that be a football team or a popstar etc.

Again just my point of view, but religion has destroyed this planet.

Depends what you try and define God as.