Sign in to follow this  
scottysafc

Physics brainteaser

41 minutes ago, TERBO said:

Just makes you realise that in reality, science so disproves God :mellow:

I don't think it disproves God as a creator of it all. Religion on the other hand, does show it's a crock of s**t.

I don't believe in God or religion but I don't think we can 100% rule him out as a creator and creating the laws of the universe or the unifying laws of physics if you want to put it that way.

7 minutes ago, YoelD said:

So is someone claiming something can be in two places at the same time.

Like photons. 

7 minutes ago, YoelD said:

So is someone claiming something can be in two places at the same time.

Like photons. 

Quantum mechanics is rewriting the laws of physics so photons might we'll be able to be in 2 places at one time. Just to let you know I'm only interested in all of this but know f**k all about this or the vast numbers mentioned in or problems in travelling through space, so if you want an intellectual debate on this, someone else will need to stand in,lol

11 minutes ago, Denied said:

I don't think it disproves God as a creator of it all. Religion on the other hand, does show it's a crock of s**t.

I don't believe in God or religion but I don't think we can 100% rule him out as a creator and creating the laws of the universe or the unifying laws of physics if you want to put it that way.

Yes, perhaps creator but not sustainer ;)

11 minutes ago, Fattynomore said:

Quantum mechanics is rewriting the laws of physics so photons might we'll be able to be in 2 places at one time. Just to let you know I'm only interested in all of this but know f**k all about this or the vast numbers mentioned in or problems in travelling through space, so if you want an intellectual debate on this, someone else will need to stand in,lol

Fair enough :thumbup1:

Point I was basically making is we there are some things we just cannot do. Sadly, a lot of people think we can work out anything. 

24 minutes ago, Fattynomore said:

Quantum mechanics is rewriting the laws of physics so photons might we'll be able to be in 2 places at one time.

...much like a pantograph - if there are parallel universes - I’m fu**ing up big time in some and not so much in others, question is; which one is my consciousness in?

edit: more importantly which one are you in, viewing my reality? To wit I’m either a genius know it all, or a pompous arsehole! :lol:

1 hour ago, Baz-- said:

As for before the big bang. I believe it's one of many "big bangs". I've brought into the idea of a multi verse with us all being parallel with many versions of our existence. 

Not looked into it to much for quite awhile (stopped smoking weed a long time ago) but isn't this the current working theory for a lot of scientists. 13 or 14 dimensions and when the dimensions past our 4 that we work in clashed a new universe could be born. P or M brain theory. 

Used to watch and read a lot of stuff about it in my 20s but you soon realise it's like trying to properly understand the theory or relativity or as someone else has said, quantum physics. Despite what people on here might say or think, I doubt anyone really understands it. 

7 minutes ago, hmgs said:

...much like a pantograph - if there are parallel universes - I’m fu**ing up big time in some and not so much in others, question is; which one is my consciousness in?

I will wholeheartedly appreciate all the comments and leave a like where due but you lost me at pantograph:lol:

16 minutes ago, hmgs said:

Saying pantograph reminded me of one of my friends whose always banging on about his theory of time and space. If you have a stick between earth and mars. As soon as you push one end, the guy on the other planet must feel the push. I'm certain my friends wrong but I can't explain why.

13 minutes ago, Denied said:

Saying pantograph reminded me of one of my friends whose always banging on about his theory of time and space. If you have a stick between earth and mars. As soon as you push one end, the guy on the other planet must feel the push. I'm certain my friends wrong but I can't explain why.

Well, that just puts time into perspective, ie as an abstract concept - which in reality is only a measure of birth & decay, which in turn is relative to the observer. Innit!?:lol:

So time is, or could be, just a measure of decay in organisms as they transition from point a to point b. 

39 minutes ago, Denied said:

Not looked into it to much for quite awhile (stopped smoking weed a long time ago) but isn't this the current working theory for a lot of scientists. 13 or 14 dimensions and when the dimensions past our 4 that we work in clashed a new universe could be born. P or M brain theory. 

Used to watch and read a lot of stuff about it in my 20s but you soon realise it's like trying to properly understand the theory or relativity or as someone else has said, quantum physics. Despite what people on here might say or think, I doubt anyone really understands it

Completely agree. I'm a ex roofer so I'm way under qualified to make any statements as fact. My limited understanding comes from a casual interest.

14 minutes ago, Baz-- said:

Completely agree. I'm a ex roofer so I'm way under qualified to make any statements as fact. My limited understanding comes from a casual interest.

Stephen Hawkins in one of his books, said only 1 person per generation is smart enough to understand the theory of relativity completely and it wasn't him. So I'm happy so day, I don't either.

I understand about time moving slower or faster due to gravity or speed but why. I doubt I'll ever really understand.

4 hours ago, scottysafc said:

So far so good, still missing another way though :)

i can't wrap my head around that either. Technically, time travel is possible too. We can do it today.

I don't believe there was 'nothing' 'before' the big bang though.

Boil it and make lots of holes. 

(O.K.   just seen your post.i really need to read the whole thread before posting ):whistling:

4 hours ago, EpicSquats said:

Get some water, and simply poke a hole in it with your finger.

But your finger is in the hole.... so there is no hole.

Whilst we’re talking about interesting stuff does anyone think that there will ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

https://www.emc2-explained.info/Dilation-Calc/#.XySSFChKjIU

Our nearest star is 4.5 light years away. It takes light 4.5 years to reach it, from earth.

If you were on a spaceship travelling at 99% the speed of light, from your perspective it would only take circa 7 months. You would only age 7 months. 14 months for a round trip.

From the perspective of the rest of us on Earth, it would take you 4.54 years to get there, or 9.09 years for a round trip.  

(Assuming no speed up/slow down)

If you had an indentical twin, one went off in the ship and one stayed on Earth. When the twin arrives back home, he/she will be 8 years younger than their twin...

9 hours ago, hmgs said:

@Fattynomore I added an edit - it might make things clearer... ;)

Pantograph - copies same size, larger or smaller82E7E3C4-3677-4D97-820F-28E44905DE9A.gif.04d1ae48185922166ace013868570bf2.gif

Gotcha now mate, cheers.  Now I need to somehow drop it into a conversation so I can pretend I'm a clever cvnt:lol: