Sign in to follow this  
Nineball

Can I work out AND lose fat??

Hi all, 

I've had very different answers on this so a bit of advice would be very much appreciated. 

I only hold too much fat around my stomach nowhere else (beer belly!). Although not drunk anything during lockdown it's increased a bit more doing less exercise. 

Before the pandemic I wanted to increase my upper body strength and muscle mass. I now definitely need to lose some weight around my stomach. The question is, can I still lose the stomach fat whilst increasing muscle? 

I've been told no I can't yet others have said as long as I'm doing the correct exercises and eating well I will automatically lose the weight whilst working out. 

I'm not looking to get too obsessed with it but to eat healthier, take protein whey to help with the working out and the days I don't use weights I'll be running. 

Is there a contradiction there and a problem with that or would that simple plan have some effect and enable me to build muscle and lose some stomach fat as I do it? Please could you advise. Thanks very much.... 

Well, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight (weight is made up, amongst other things, muscle and fat) and a surplus to gain weight (including muscle). So technically you can’t. You could try a recomp style diet if you’re not carrying that much fat

Ok. I'm very new to all this. My main aim is to gain muscle but obviously I want to lose a bit of fat as well or first. It's only a small bit on my stomach. I normally do plenty of exercise with work but with being unable to work for quite a while I've not had the exercise so clearly put a bit extra on but not anywhere else. 

I know eating healthier and increasing my general exercise I would lose it anyway. It's just knowing whether I can start working out using weights and taking the whey protein or if that will stop me from losing the fat I want to lose and work against that really. 

My diet I need to learn more about so I get it the best I can once I start looking to build muscle. This I've never done before. 

9 hours ago, Nineball said:

I know eating healthier and increasing my general exercise I would lose it anyway. It's just knowing whether I can start working out using weights and taking the whey protein or if that will stop me from losing the fat I want to lose and work against that really. 

My diet I need to learn more about so I get it the best I can once I start looking to build muscle. This I've never done before. 

The weights and protein won’t stop you losing fat. It’s all controlled by your diet. Weight lifting in a calorie deficit will speed up your fat loss but not gain you muscle. 
so you could eat in a deficit, work out, lose the fat, then start increasing calories back to a slight surplus where you’ll start to gain muscle (and most likely a little fat)

We’ve already answered this question. You cannot build new muscle whilst you are on a diet, it’s a simple as that. I’m not sure why you are so obsessed with using protein powder :confused1:

Work out your tdee here https://tdeecalculator.net/ This will tell you how many calories you need to diet and the split between protein, fat and carbohydrates.

Download MyFitnessPal to your phone and track what you eat. Basically a 500 calorie daily deficit will see you lose about 2lb a week. Adjust calories if required.

When you reach your desired goal use the same calculator to work out bulking up calories, basically a 500 surplus.

Perfect. That does answer it or I understand that. 

With regards to taking whey protein I just thought that helped with building your muscles and helped them recover after workouts. Is this not the case? 

Any advise appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, Nineball said:

Perfect. That does answer it or I understand that. 

With regards to taking whey protein I just thought that helped with building your muscles and helped them recover after workouts. Is this not the case? 

Any advise appreciated. 

Your muscles need protein to repair, so you need a reasonable amount of it in your diet if you expect to grow.

The larger you get the more you need, since you have more muscle you have to repair. 

"beer belly's" aren't alcohol specific mate it's just from all the excess calories (including all the carbs in beer etc). You prob just happen to store alot of your fat in general in your stomach like most guys. Just get in a caloric deficit and the fat from your belly will soon disappear. 

Keep Protein intake decent 1g/lb bodyweight is a good start, dont be scred of fats and carbs, try to keep it balanced.

40/40/20 is always a good place.

40% calories from Protein and carbs, 20% from fats.

Dont overdo the cario and calorie defecit, find your TDEE and make your defecit.

i.e TDEE 3000cal per day to maintain, start cutting at 2800, if no movement, add some cardio, if no movement, drop the cals by 100 per day, rinse and repeat. Keep trying to train heavy and you will get there bro.

It depends on how long you've trained. If you have a fair bit muscle already just get in a slight deficit like above 2/300 per day and play the long game.

If your new to training you have lots of gains to be had. Id just find the sweet spot where you eat well and feel great at maintenance. 

When I first started back after a break I had a dad bod. 12 months on i was exactly the same weight but body had totally changed. Id dropped from 18% to 12%, that was just a decent diet and consistency. 

5 hours ago, Nineball said:

Not really. You should be able to obtain enough protein from the food you eat. You should consume 0.8g of protein for every pound of lean body mass. So if  you weigh say 200 lbs and your body fat is about 20% you should aim for about 128g of protein daily.

Yes, you can. 

ATP requires a source of carbon, glucose. Your body can produce this even in an energy deficit and can still adapt to specific demands. All you have to do to create a "deficit" is expend more energy by either doing more activity or inducing muscle growth. Both will result in the same thing: higher energy expenditure and your body has plenty of substrate to use for ATP to repair and grow muscle. 

Oddly, muscle growth can even occur while fasting. 

There is a limit however. Your body will not want to go beyond a certain limit when fat is decreased, hence why bodybuilders preparing for a show while inevitably lose some muscle mass to go beyond this limit. 

1 hour ago, Sasnak said:

Lean bodyweight not total bodyweight 

Yes but thats difficult to calculate for most people which is why I generalize. 

1 hour ago, Grinnell27 said:

Yes but thats difficult to calculate for most people which is why I generalize. 

Point taken but it’s easy to get a rough idea for the purposes of calculating macros. For all we know op could be 40% body fat so it’s important that he knows