Sign in to follow this  
John suomi

Tired of fighting with biceps

Hello everyone, 

This is my first post here or to any bodybuilding forum. I'm 35 yo and I  have started lifting weights for past couple of years & I can say that I have gained some [little] success. [from skinny 64kg to now 83kg]. However, I'm totally not seeing any peak on my biceps, especially the left arm [I'm right handed].

I try to hit gym 5times a week but 4 is average in a month. Also, I have tried many different exercises but seems like nothing works for me. And also whenever I try to go heavy on biceps I simply cannot as my biceps and especially [outer] forearms begin to scream like sports car's rare tires screeching on drifting. If you can I will really appreciate your precious and experienced inputs and above all I'll be greatful for your time. 

Arms day exercises 

1. Bicep Curls 4 sets 12, 10, 8, 6

Now lifting Max 40 kg (including 15kg bar) 

2. Alt dumbbell curl

5X8 (max 18kg) 

3. Concentration curls

5X8 (max 16kg)

Also on legs day I hit just bicep

1. Cable standing bicep curl

5X 12. 10. 10.8.6 (max 33kg)

2. Cable rope hammer curls

5X 12.10.8.8.6 (max 36kg)

3. Cable overhead curls

5X 12.10.8.8.6 (max 13.5kg)

Much thanks in advance. 

Regards, 

John 

Any photos of your arms? 55kg bicep curl seems like a decent weight to be moving. Are these strict? 

As I understand it, the shape of the biceps is pretty much an individual thing. 

Hi, thank you for your reply. Here are the photos for you to review. Looking forward to hear from you soon. 

Regards, 

John 

IMG_20200801_192333.jpg

IMG_20200801_192307.jpg

On 31/07/2020 at 8:53 PM, YoelD said:

Any photos of your arms? 55kg bicep curl seems like a decent weight to be moving. Are these strict? 

As I understand it, the shape of the biceps is pretty much an individual thing. 

Just added photos 

Why on earth are you doing 29 sets per week for biceps. Absolute fluff. 

If you want big arms then focus on getting stronger. Pick an exercise for triceps (weighted dips, cgbp) and one for biceps ( barbell curl, preacher curl etc) and each week try to progress either in weight or reps. If you are eating in a surplus and add 20kg to your dips and the same for barbell curls your arms will be bigger. 

10 minutes ago, boutye911 said:

Why on earth are you doing 29 sets per week for biceps. Absolute fluff. 

If you want big arms then focus on getting stronger. Pick an exercise for triceps (weighted dips, cgbp) and one for biceps ( barbell curl, preacher curl etc) and each week try to progress either in weight or reps. If you are eating in a surplus and add 20kg to your dips and the same for barbell curls your arms will be bigger. 

Thank you for your message and 29reps are way too much [as you rightly said so]. I will add more triceps I guess and will try to focus on getting stronger. By the way any suggestions for getting stronger [arms] and what about pain in outer forearms & biceps head whenever lifting heavy? Again,  thank you for your time and valuable advices. 

Regards, John 

heavy dips / close grip bench press for tri's 

heavy supinated grip rows and chin ups for bi's

it's difficult to safely overload the arm muscles with isolation work as they're very small muscle groups , so you're best off focusing on compounds which overload them and supplement with 1 or 2 isolation movements 

On 03/08/2020 at 9:17 AM, JLawson90 said:

heavy dips / close grip bench press for tri's 

heavy supinated grip rows and chin ups for bi's

it's difficult to safely overload the arm muscles with isolation work as they're very small muscle groups , so you're best off focusing on compounds which overload them and supplement with 1 or 2 isolation movements 

This.