Posted (edited)

Anybody else realised that your perfectly capable doing your job from home and there’s absolutely no need to ever go into the office ever again? 

I’ll put my mortgage on my boss wanting me to come into the office when it opens just to see my face. 

Edited by BicepBandito
Accidentally pressed enter.

I think corporate have had enough time to look at office vs home work productivity and if home based is nearly as efficient as office based then they will look at reducing their own overheads to increase profit. 

I've done it for several years, 

It can be handy at times, no need to take a day off if a workman etc.. needs to come round.

But you lose the separation between a workplace and were you relax. It's also good to have some people round you to talk to. 

52 minutes ago, Tonysco said:

I've done it for several years, 

It can be handy at times, no need to take a day off if a workman etc.. needs to come round.

But you lose the separation between a workplace and were you relax. It's also good to have some people round you to talk to. 

Yeah I can really relate to this lack of separation from both working environment and office colleagues. Even working in the sitting room or "office" in the house its hard to relax properly once you clock off, also gets a bit weird talking to yourself most of the day. Feels like I'm in the film "Split" half the time.

The team I work in have always had an element of flexible working, allowed to work 2 days from home and 3 in the office per week. 

I didn’t really realise until all this how rare that seems to be tho. Majority of office workers are still doing 5 days in the office with no option to work from home. Be interesting to see if that changes going forward. 

3 hours ago, jake87 said:

I think corporate have had enough time to look at office vs home work productivity and if home based is nearly as efficient as office based then they will look at reducing their own overheads to increase profit. 

Was talking to someone the other day who said high end office space costs around 10k per person in London. Compare that to a third of your internet cost and a fraction of your heating bill, I think it is you're allowed to claim and how many even bother with that?

For those saying about work separation, wife's only worked from home throughout this and just spends her entire day in her home office. On the other hand, I've worked at home for years. If I'm not at customer site, I don't bother going into the office. I just sit in the lounge with my laptop on and Netflix in the background and work just slowly tails off. Got so bad my seat on the sofa is 6 inches lower than the wife's side.

9 hours ago, BicepBandito said:

Anybody else realised that your perfectly capable doing your job from home and there’s absolutely no need to ever go into the office ever again? 

I’ll put my mortgage on my boss wanting me to come into the office when it opens just to see my face. 

Mrs said the same thing, I can't understand why certain bosses 'have' to see your face in an office. Everything can be monitored from a click of a mouse and Skype is always there if need be.

The main issue is that management types are largely against remote work. They like sitting in their glass aquariums and watching over their herds toiling away in packed open offices - it makes them feel useful and important.

Remote work is a serious threat to old school management, because it makes them largely redundant, so they're gonna fight it.

1 minute ago, neverminder said:

The main issue is that management types are largely against remote work. They like sitting in their glass aquariums and watching over their herds toiling away in packed open offices - it makes them feel useful and important.

Remote work is a serious threat to old school management, because it makes them largely redundant, so they're gonna fight it.

100% spot on 

'fortunately' being a tradesman I don't have to work from home and if I had a job where I could then I think id lose the plot big time. Nearly 4 weeks in lockdown had me all agitated and frustrated.

....just doing the quoting/invoicing in my office 3 or 4 times a week in the evenings does my head in. I like to be out and about meeting new customers but ive always been active, struggle to stay in the same place for to long. 

I'd love to work from home but not sure the wife would let me turn the kitchen into a lab. 

And I wasn't furloughed so have worked through apart form some hols I took and tbh, it's been good for my sanity once having to go out the house everyday.  My wife has also worked through (from home) and she quickly got pi55ed off not leaving the house. 

2 hours ago, neverminder said:

Your spot on there.

weve proven that we don’t need to go in the office. We use Microsoft teams now for meetings and even if if I was out of the office I’ve got it on my phone so I won’t miss a meeting.

3 hours ago, Denied said:

Was talking to someone the other day who said high end office space costs around 10k per person in London. Compare that to a third of your internet cost and a fraction of your heating bill, I think it is you're allowed to claim and how many even bother with that?

For those saying about work separation, wife's only worked from home throughout this and just spends her entire day in her home office. On the other hand, I've worked at home for years. If I'm not at customer site, I don't bother going into the office. I just sit in the lounge with my laptop on and Netflix in the background and work just slowly tails off. Got so bad my seat on the sofa is 6 inches lower than the wife's side.

Sounds about right. A pal of mine is Sales Director of rec firm in the City...... 90 sales people plus support staff cost £1m for the office pa.

Now staff will be working from home 2/3 days per week they’re moving to an office half the size which is obviously half the cost.... £500k saved off the bottom line straight away!!

My job is in software development so all progress is tracked through an online board where jobs are moved from left to right.  If we don't achieve goals then its no biggie, we are all committed to getting the product out so we do our best to get it done.

But I do miss some interaction. I like the buzz of commuting to London every morning. I would walk past about 10 landmarks that  people would travel across the world to see. I also miss the banter and Friday drinks where the boss would chuck the company card across the bar so all beers were free. All of that kind of invigorates the soul. Instead I send a message to the team that I am logging off for the day and go downstairs to pick up my home pc and surf stuff like this page.

On the upside I now have a reasonable tan as I can spend 30mins a day with my shirt off in the garden.