Sign in to follow this  
Jackoffblades

Behind the neck press rant

4 hours ago, Tonysco said:

Behind the neck lat pulldowns also help with this. 

ye man trueee same exercise really if you think bout it its just push an pull variations i think if behind the neck hurts, do it slowly coming  down and lower gradually same with stretching out any body part thats stiff or has restricted range of motions 

On 27/07/2020 at 4:32 PM, Seppuku71 said:

That's an excellent weight mate, well done.  I think it's one of those exercises that you can either do safe or you can't.  I believe it was very popular years ago, until 'experts' said it was unsafe and people stopped doing it.   Hasn't seemed to have done Dmitry Klokov any harm:

Wow!! How much weight was that!? 

On 27/07/2020 at 10:33 PM, BLUE(UK) said:

Smith machine??!!, I used to like you!!! :angry:

The fvcking devil incarnate!!!

Possibly the worst bit of kit ever to set foot in a gym..... filth!

I think the Smith machine gets a bad press really. I prefer a barbell and a power rack but will use the Smith machine if the rack is busy. 

People keep saying it's bad for your joints but I'm not sure if there is much evidence to support this or if it's more just bro science. I've never had any problems using it. 

2 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

I think the Smith machine gets a bad press really. I prefer a barbell and a power rack but will use the Smith machine if the rack is busy. 

People keep saying it's bad for your joints but I'm not sure if there is much evidence to support this or if it's more just bro science. I've never had any problems using it. 

It’s the fixed plain of motion that leads it to give a completely unnatural movement, that’s the problem.

Any press or squat is performed in an arch motion that allows the body to move in its most effective motion. The Smith doesn’t allow this and will therefore place stress on certain muscle/tendons.

I destroyed my shoulders on it last year doing front shoulder press.

26 minutes ago, js77 said:

It’s the fixed plain of motion that leads it to give a completely unnatural movement, that’s the problem.

Any press or squat is performed in an arch motion that allows the body to move in its most effective motion. The Smith doesn’t allow this and will therefore place stress on certain muscle/tendons.

I destroyed my shoulders on it last year doing front shoulder press.

You could say the same about the leg press but it doesn't get the same bad press as the Smith machine. 

Maybe some people are not suited to it or set up not right.

It's no different to a lot of machine exercises that lots of people do without problems. 

5 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

You could say the same about the leg press but it doesn't get the same bad press as the Smith machine. 

It's no different to a lot of machine exercises that lots of people do without problems. 

There is a reason why different smith machines are set at different angles and much the same why the Jones machine was invented. 

6 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

Sorry mate... I’m not with you on that one.... there’s not a single shoulder press machine that mimics the plane of motion of the Smith..... because the Smith is sh1t.

When squatting with the Smith, the  load is placed on the shoulders and the legs on the floor... the fixed plane of motion moving in a perpendicular movement places huge pressure on the lower back... this is not so with the 45 degree leg press .