Sign in to follow this  
mail.com mariamsanford

Banned from Cooking Meat by Veggie Wife

So, this guy I know is married to a vegetarian for a few years. She's been vegetarian all her life, it wasn't a surprise to him.
They've got a lovely house & fine kitchen but all she'd be happy to eat would be toast and sandwich-fillers (lettuce, potato salad, etc)?
He's started frying up or cooking the odd bit of steak or fish and she's having none of it - he waits until she's gone to bed and puts the extractor fan to full but it's not enough - it's a week in the doghouse for him at best.
At a restaurant ( an occasion that is rare) he'd order meat & she's got no problem with that, her only problem is him cooking in the house - and that's a BIG problem for her.
So, question: who's being the more unreasonable in this scenario - the guy wanting to rustle up a late-night protein binge of steak or even store-bought shepherds pie, or the girl who is veggie, has always been veggie and is offended that her husband would dare disrespect her by filling their house with cooked animal fumes?
Asking for a friend.

4 hours ago, mail.com mariamsanford said:

Asking for a friend.

I would say she's being unreasonable but is there more to it... did he enter into the relationship knowing he wasn't allowed to cook meat?  Do the smells make her sick or something? If that's the case as he's just 'started' cooking meats, then he is in the wrong.

I had an ex GF that was vegetarian and she used to cook a lovely roast on a Sunday, we had the same except I had meat with mine. Mind you rest of week she seemed to survive on veggies and mcdonalds fries lol.

What terbs says about the basis of the relationship when they started out. I do think she sounds unreasonable, however; given the “week in the doghouse” comment. I suspect that his clandestine meat eating isn’t the only thing he gets into trouble for. Quite how you come to a compromise in this situation is a difficult one.

I have similar problems. She doesn’t mind my smoking, drinking, recreational and performance enhancing drug use, however leaving the toilet lid open also has me in the doghouse frequently.

4 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

however leaving the toilet lid open also has me in the doghouse frequently.

Bit off topic but I'm totally with her on that lol

I've never understood the toilet seat argument of men vs women... it's direct access to the sewer and thus toilets come with a lid that closes.

Everyone closes the lid and no arguments ;)

8 minutes ago, drwae said:

Perhaps he'd be better buying pre-cooked meat.

Genius idea. I keep my drugs in a lockable cash tray. He could build up a stash, spam, corned beef, pepperami etc in something similar like a large safe.

8 minutes ago, TERBO said:

Everyone closes the lid and no arguments

Bugger off terbs. I shall bring my argument to you elsewhere if I can be arsed to save spamming op’s post.

In the meantime back on topic. I think there are wider relationship issues here. My mate and his ex went to relate over her issue with him going out twice a month to play snooker with me. This was the only time he ever went out. Even the relate councillor recommended a divorce. That’s a true story believe it or not.

I’d go with the stance “...I’m cooking tonight, bitch, vegetarian option - pick the fu**ing meat out & put it on my plate... I’m the man of the house and I get my way like it or not. Now drop your knickers and bend over!”

It could kinda go two ways...

This is tantamount to psychological abuse. She has no right to dictate his diet, nor when he chooses to eat. Bullying does not make for a good relationship. 

My moneys on it quickly turning passive-aggressive and end up with him sneakily swapping her quorn sausages for the butchers finest. Then perhaps wanking off to the memory of watching her eat them for the rest of his life. 

Dated a few veggie girls in the past and always asked if me cooking meat is gonna be an issue, always respected the ones that said no, but those relationships never lasted. Others have ended up eating meat in a few months.. funny that.

If it is only the smell she has an issue with then just get some oust or scented candles on once the cooking is done. If it's the issue of meat in the house then that was an easy bullet to have dodged before they moved in together. Either way they need to have a chat about it.