Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
musclebubble

What does 99% pure mean? What is the other 1%?

Recommended Posts

Hi!

I've seen powders/substances  advertised as 99%+ pure, or 98%, 95%, etc.... What are the remaining %s then. Is it fillers, impurities. Possibly toxic? 

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think It’s usually arse-covering (a bit like dettol advertising ‘kills 99% bacteria’ so that if it’s tested they can point to the label and say that’s the 1% it doesn’t kill).

nothing is ever 100% pure so it’s to be expected 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, musclebubble said:

Hi!

I've seen powders/substances  advertised as 99%+ pure, or 98%, 95%, etc.... What are the remaining %s then. Is it fillers, impurities. Possibly toxic? 

 

Cheers!

Yes, toxic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drwae said:

Chinese heavy metals :) Merculy, Read etc. 

oh s***! i was hoping it wasn't gonna be those things.  I think you spelled everything wrong though. Did you mean Mercury & Lead ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, musclebubble said:

oh s***! i was hoping it wasn't gonna be those things.  I think you spelled everything wrong though. Did you mean Mercury & Lead ? 

Say it in a chinese accent!! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, faipdeooiad said:

I think It’s usually arse-covering (a bit like dettol advertising ‘kills 99% bacteria’ so that if it’s tested they can point to the label and say that’s the 1% it doesn’t kill).

nothing is ever 100% pure so it’s to be expected 

It's exactly that ^^^^^ Even suppliers of analytical grade chemicals like Sigma-Aldrich can't claim  absolute 100% purity. It's listed as  ≥99.0%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×