Sign in to follow this  
anotherandy

Lunch ideas for people with manual jobs

When I worked a manual job my diet wasn't great....

Breakfast would be a 1l bottle lucozade which I'd drink thru day and flake praline (I kid you not..) 

Lunch would be a large cheese sandwich from butty shop then pop next door to corner shop and get a bottle of cherry coke, bakewell flapjack and pringles. Did that for about 6 months straight on a site I worked on. 

Now I don't work manual job but I'd do the same just have the chicken fajita wraps cold it tastes fine still, 2 wholemeal wraps and a large chicken breast with peppers fajita seasoning and some garlic, sometimes take a pot of whatever sauce I got floating around. Snacks through day pot of 30-50g nuts, bananas, protein bars and zero monster, can't go wrong with a cinnamon and raisin bagel with a tub of peanut butter to smear on the fucker tasty and easy calories. 

4 hours ago, jake87 said:

For 8 years I've done chicken rice and cutlery in tupperware, it's not hard. 

Tbh I thought that’s what everyone did who actually takes their training and diet seriously, irrespective of their work.

Meal 1: Breakfast at home

Meal 2: Whey and oats at work 

Meal 3&4: Chicken, rice, veg at work

Meal 5: pwo shake

Meal 6: as meal 3/4

10 hours ago, jd said:

I saw you post this a couple of years ago and has been a staple in my dieting, 1kg chicken, flava it, peppers, chillis and rice into 4 meals 

No onions?  Do you enjoy it? Some days I’ll get a jacket spud n Chuck a tin or two of tuna on top for variation  :thumb

9 hours ago, jake87 said:

For 8 years I've done chicken rice and cutlery in tupperware, it's not hard. 

It’s not so easy in the winter if it freezes while in the van. Haha. I agree though. 

5 hours ago, js77 said:

Tbh I thought that’s what everyone did who actually takes their training and diet seriously, irrespective of their work.

Meal 1: Breakfast at home

Meal 2: Whey and oats at work 

Meal 3&4: Chicken, rice, veg at work

Meal 5: pwo shake

Meal 6: as meal 3/4

Similar to how I roll but I don’t do protein shakes, just food. 

16 hours ago, Denied said:

Essentially what sasnak says but wraps rather than bread. Can get more filling in them. Left over chicken curry, chilli, pretty much any meat left over from last night's dinner add a few veggies and away you go.

This^. Aways have wraps for work if bulking il have 2 wraps during work normally fill with either steak and black pepper or marinated chicken, either garlic butter and herb, buffalo/piri piri marinate or bbq chicken and fresh salad and mayo. Easy 700kcl a wrap sometimes more depending on weight of chicken.

I used to make fajita chicken with some Mexican style rice., tasted alright cold.

Some days i would bring in some wraps to put it on, along with some salsa or garlic mayo, some days grated cheese.

Now and again i would look at it and have zero appetite, on those days i added a load of HP sauce and just launched it down. Eat fast.  I took a food flask in the winter that usually had stew with potatoes in it, got boring quick though. 

Do you have access to a microwave?

5 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

No onions?  Do you enjoy it? Some days I’ll get a jacket spud n Chuck a tin or two of tuna on top for variation  :thumb

It’s not so easy in the winter if it freezes while in the van. Haha. I agree though. 

Similar to how I roll but I don’t do protein shakes, just food. 

Tbh mate, I've not had a protein shake in years..... they blow my bumhole to pieces.... my guts became more and more sensitive to them over the years but they are a decent convenient source if you can handle them.

2 hours ago, Tonysco said:

I used to make fajita chicken with some Mexican style rice., tasted alright cold.

Some days i would bring in some wraps to put it on, along with some salsa or garlic mayo, some days grated cheese.

Now and again i would look at it and have zero appetite, on those days i added a load of HP sauce and just launched it down. Eat fast.  I took a food flask in the winter that usually had stew with potatoes in it, got boring quick though. 

I sometimes take chilli or Spaghetti bolognaise in a flask during the winter months. 

1 hour ago, js77 said:

Tbh mate, I've not had a protein shake in years..... they blow my bumhole to pieces.... my guts became more and more sensitive to them over the years but they are a decent convenient source if you can handle them.

I can’t handle them. 

8 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

yeah forgot about them red onion as well, with some sweet chilli sauce mixed into the rice 

I'm ditching shakes soon. Trying to get 4k cals in right now. Figured shakes would help. They just made things worse. Bloated as f**k on 50g of a protein blend. Think I've got to the point where my body doesn't like them any more. I think it's fairly common from what I've read. 

Going to try oats, bacon & eggs for breakfast instead. 

For lunch, anything in a wrap is going to be pretty easy. Tuna, chicken, beef. Add some grilled peppers, or sliced fresh peppers. Easy finger food.

21 hours ago, drwae said:

Has that changed? I grew up in the 21st century and was taught never to waste food. 

Food waste has risen in recent years. Obviously not all households waste food.

21 hours ago, Pez189 said:

Sounds great on paper but I just cant get down that much food. I’ve tried but end up not being able to eat it all in one sitting. I often do: 2 sandwiches or wraps (meat: chicken/turkey/tuna/beef + cheese), whey shake, milk. 

To be honest I can’t either. It’s what I generally take out when I’m on the road with work. I don’t eat it all at once.

6 hours ago, js77 said:

Bit unfair to blame the whey shakes on that,  bro. Drop the amyl. Stopped getting bummed. Reckon things’ll change for you :thumbup1:

On 12/07/2020 at 8:10 PM, Sasnak said:

You grew up in the rather grim 1970s. I’ll bet your attitude to any food is the same as mine. Nothing ever got thrown away.

No you're right there, nothing got thrown away.  Our black slaves got the leftovers, and when they died, the pigs we kept got the dead slaves. Circle of life and all that

14 hours ago, PSevens2017 said:

Bit unfair to blame the whey shakes on that,  bro. Drop the amyl. Stopped getting bummed. Reckon things’ll change for you :thumbup1:

Tbh i did notice the bloat subside since i stopped 'swallowing'...... semen and my guts just don't get along.

I buy a bag of uncle Ben's microwave rice , 200 g pre cooked chicken breast and a small bag of broccoli and microwave it all

I train at 6 am so i don't have oats in the morning I have my post workout meal at 7 am 

In the afternoon il put some boiling water on a scoop of whey , 80 g oats , 15 g peanut butter and 80 g of blueberry's 

Then when I get home I have 4 slices of turkey bacon in a bagel or sometimes il make this in the morning and eat it at work cold , I don't use butter but lighter then light mayo with this 

That leaves me my dinner and some low fat yogurt to eat that evening 

On 13/07/2020 at 10:52 AM, Tonysco said:

No microwave mate but the wrap idea could work. 

On 14/07/2020 at 7:58 PM, Jamiewilliamsss said:

I buy a bag of uncle Ben's microwave rice , 200 g pre cooked chicken breast and a small bag of broccoli and microwave it all

I train at 6 am so i don't have oats in the morning I have my post workout meal at 7 am 

In the afternoon il put some boiling water on a scoop of whey , 80 g oats , 15 g peanut butter and 80 g of blueberry's 

Then when I get home I have 4 slices of turkey bacon in a bagel or sometimes il make this in the morning and eat it at work cold , I don't use butter but lighter then light mayo with this 

That leaves me my dinner and some low fat yogurt to eat that evening 

Do you flavour the rice chicken and brocoli? Sounds awful but healthy 

On 16/07/2020 at 8:01 PM, anotherandy said:

Do you flavour the rice chicken and brocoli? Sounds awful but healthy 

It's not awful I buy spicy Mexican uncle Ben's rice , seasoned firecracker or sweet chilli chicken breast precooked and add brocoli peri peri salt or Frank's hot sauce