Sign in to follow this  
anotherandy

Lunch ideas for people with manual jobs

Any ideas on lunch meals for work? 

I've got in a bad habit of wenzel's everyday and pies. 

I work a dirty hands on job and its convenient to buy food on the go. 

Getting back to training now and need some good fuel. 

Cheers 

Sandwiches, home made. If it’s bulking thick sliced whole meal will give you 100 cals a slice. 6 slices plus filling. I make coronation chicken or use 2 tins of tuna instead. Mix loads of full fat mayonnaise with curry power and mango chutney. I can’t remember exactly but it’s well over 1000 calories. Probably more like 1200. Wash it down with 2 litres of whole milk.

Edit - 1 litre of milk. Drink the other one throughout the day.

Essentially what sasnak says but wraps rather than bread. Can get more filling in them. Left over chicken curry, chilli, pretty much any meat left over from last night's dinner add a few veggies and away you go.

Chicken, peppers, onions, chillis cooked. 
Add cooked rice. 
If bored of it chuck it in a wrap. 
Always carry tins of tuna in case you can get a jacket spud. 
I also buy boxes of Flapjacks from Home Bargains and keep them in my work van. 

54 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Chicken, peppers, onions, chillis cooked. 
Add cooked rice. 
If bored of it chuck it in a wrap. 

Always carry tins of tuna in case you can get a jacket spud. 
I also buy boxes of Flapjacks from Home Bargains and keep them in my work van. 

Very simple and great idea. Get some El Paso bbq powder and essentially having cold fajitas at work. With the rice in wrap you have a burrito. Change @anotherandy name to MexicanAndy. 

I always have a oats/whey/banana shake throughout the morning. I’m constantly full.  It means I’m not going to grab s**t at lunchtime. Would’ve years ago but as I’m older, no chance. 

As Sasnak says, for dinner (lunch for posh [email protected])  its a sandwich. I have bbq chicken & burgen bread & light mayo. You know what they say, ‘A moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips’ 

3 minutes ago, PSevens2017 said:

Very simple and great idea. Get some El Paso bbq powder and essentially having cold fajitas at work. With the rice in wrap you have a burrito. Change @anotherandy name to MexicanAndy. 
I always have a oats/whey/banana shake throughout the morning. I’m constantly full.  It means I’m not going to grab s**t at lunchtime. Would’ve years ago but as I’m older, no chance. 

I use those Flava-it sweet chilli marinade powders on the chicken. 

1 hour ago, Denied said:

last night's dinner add a few veggies and away you go

I never throw anything away that I can eat in the bin.

2 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

My meals above are great warmed up too. 

I saw you post this a couple of years ago and has been a staple in my dieting, 1kg chicken, flava it, peppers, chillis and rice into 4 meals 

36 minutes ago, Seppuku71 said:

Why do you eat in the bin, are you homeless?

You grew up in the rather grim 1970s. I’ll bet your attitude to any food is the same as mine. Nothing ever got thrown away.

4 hours ago, Sasnak said:

Sandwiches, home made. If it’s bulking thick sliced whole meal will give you 100 cals a slice. 6 slices plus filling. I make coronation chicken or use 2 tins of tuna instead. Mix loads of full fat mayonnaise with curry power and mango chutney. I can’t remember exactly but it’s well over 1000 calories. Probably more like 1200. Wash it down with 2 litres of whole milk.

Edit - 1 litre of milk. Drink the other one throughout the day.

Sounds great on paper but I just cant get down that much food. I’ve tried but end up not being able to eat it all in one sitting. I often do: 2 sandwiches or wraps (meat: chicken/turkey/tuna/beef + cheese), whey shake, milk. 

I’m a roof tiler so understand where you’re coming from. 

I take a pasta pot, few bags of crisps and make some wraps to take with me along with a protein bar or two. Usually knocks back around 1,300 calories. Have breakfast before I leave for work early in the morning around 5:30am, couple of bagels with eggs and ham and cheese. 

By the time I get in from work I’ve usually had around 2,300 calories. Knock back dinner and I’m sitting around 3k, workout then have a post workout shake. Sits me around 4k, shower and then have a final snack, usually some protein stuff like crisps, cookies or bars or something so end the day on around 4,500 most days. 

44 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

You grew up in the rather grim 1970s. I’ll bet your attitude to any food is the same as mine. Nothing ever got thrown away.

Has that changed? I grew up in the 21st century and was taught never to waste food.