Sign in to follow this  
Tricky

Camping

7 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

This thread got me thinking now. I've only ever camped at campsites. I got next week off work and since Wales has opened up I might go try some wild camping in snowdonia. 

You ever wild camped up there? Think I'll climb Snowden at same time 

Not in Wales.  Just make sure you're discreet, above the last wall (not in a farmers field) and don't leave any trace that you were there.

Enjoy it.

17 hours ago, lancs_lad said:

1. 65 litre will definitely be enough.  It's bigger than any I use (except hammocking that's a 100l).  What I tend to find tho is people fill their bags no matter what size they have.  

Look on eBay.  

2. My Alpkit Ordos 3 is lightweight, can sit up in it and I've used a jetboil in it.  As for frying stuff there is a small porch but I've no experience of doing it.

It would be fine in a English winter but not a Scottish winter as it doesn't have snow skirts, not many do in the affordable range.

For full on winter tents checkout hilleberg tents. Pricey tho!

3.  You could get away with one if you wear clothes on cold nights and have a good mat.  Your borderline in height to needing a long bag, so double check before ordering. For weight and size I'd recommend a down one.  Maybe get a lightweight Bivi bag to protect it from condensation (a massive problem in UK with small tents). Not essential especially if only doing a 1 nighter.

Alpkit do affordable decent bags in both lengths. Probably out of stock currently tho.

4. I use a jetboil as I boil in the bag on most trips.  Make sure you don't get cheap gas as it could fail on cold mornings.

5. Ive tried loads. My Thermarest is good but I now want super comfort so I've gone for a lilo style mat nowadays.  Think Thermarest do one, but I've currently got an Alpkit Dumo (£50). So comfy but a strange inflating system.  I've also had an exped synmat, ace but double the price.

1. I think I’m going to go with this it’s £50 from a reputable brand. Size should be sufficient for all my needs. Yea it’s overkill when I’m going solo but I’m used to carrying weight so I’ll be fine. What do you think? https://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/BE1649/Berghaus-Trailhead-65-Bronze-Rucksack-Black-Dark-Grey

2. I’m going for this Robens voyager 3ex mainly because it’s for sale on fb marketplace by me. Used once for 4 days in Norway plus the seller has the additional ground sheet with it and will take £160 for tent and groundsheet. I find the porch a very appealing thing for storing gear plus somewhere for me and the GF or me and the dog (German Shepard) to be able to chill out of the element and cook. 

3. I haven’t decided yet but I’m seriously considering a half decent down bag that will go down to around 0 which should be suffice anything Lower than that I’ll sleep with a rab jacket and hat on. Can’t be as cold as sleeping in east Afghanistan in winter with all my clothes on and a s**t issue bag froze to death. 

4. I’m going to use my jetboil just buy a sea summit foldable cups, a decent frying pan and I’ve the long spork which will suffice. 

5. inflatable mat search is ongoing as I can’t believe some of them are near £200. I think my budget will be around 40-60 tempted to buy a double tho for us both and when she doesn’t come I’ll live like a king on my own 

this little extra packs down very small and appeals massively to me to be able to sit with back support and read a book and enjoy Irish coffee. 

https://m.lightinthebox.com/p/1-person-camping-folding-chair-lightweight-aluminium-alloy-7005-oxford-cloth-for-fishing-beach-camping_p6654594.html?currency=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=1_49&country_code=gb&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=444218770318&adword_kw=&adword_pos=&adword_pl=&adword_net=u&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=3516490533_10384655001_103275883636_pla-528896765940&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh46X0ba86gIVBLDtCh23igOKEAkYBCABEgK-FfD_BwE

On 07/07/2020 at 1:04 AM, monkeybiker said:

This thread got me thinking now. I've only ever camped at campsites. I got next week off work and since Wales has opened up I might go try some wild camping in snowdonia. 

You ever wild camped up there? Think I'll climb Snowden at same time 

I’d avoid Wales for a month. If a local sees you wild camping so close to coming out of lockdown they won’t be impressed and it’ll cause issues for future wild camping. 
I’m waiting to go trail riding out there but as above I’ll give it a month before I go just to avoid issue. 
@lancs_lad nice set ups. I have a bit of Alp kit, Snugpak etc kit. I find it’s not so much the cold but damp that causes me problems especially if it’s rained one day and next night putting up wet gear again. 
Definitely a need for multiple dry bags if doing more than one night. 

11 hours ago, Tricky said:

1. I think I’m going to go with this it’s £50 from a reputable brand. Size should be sufficient for all my needs. Yea it’s overkill when I’m going solo but I’m used to carrying weight so I’ll be fine. What do you think? https://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/BE1649/Berghaus-Trailhead-65-Bronze-Rucksack-Black-Dark-Grey

2. I’m going for this Robens voyager 3ex mainly because it’s for sale on fb marketplace by me. Used once for 4 days in Norway plus the seller has the additional ground sheet with it and will take £160 for tent and groundsheet. I find the porch a very appealing thing for storing gear plus somewhere for me and the GF or me and the dog (German Shepard) to be able to chill out of the element and cook. 

3. I haven’t decided yet but I’m seriously considering a half decent down bag that will go down to around 0 which should be suffice anything Lower than that I’ll sleep with a rab jacket and hat on. Can’t be as cold as sleeping in east Afghanistan in winter with all my clothes on and a s**t issue bag froze to death. 

4. I’m going to use my jetboil just buy a sea summit foldable cups, a decent frying pan and I’ve the long spork which will suffice. 

5. inflatable mat search is ongoing as I can’t believe some of them are near £200. I think my budget will be around 40-60 tempted to buy a double tho for us both and when she doesn’t come I’ll live like a king on my own 

this little extra packs down very small and appeals massively to me to be able to sit with back support and read a book and enjoy Irish coffee. 

https://m.lightinthebox.com/p/1-person-camping-folding-chair-lightweight-aluminium-alloy-7005-oxford-cloth-for-fishing-beach-camping_p6654594.html?currency=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=1_49&country_code=gb&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=444218770318&adword_kw=&adword_pos=&adword_pl=&adword_net=u&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=3516490533_10384655001_103275883636_pla-528896765940&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh46X0ba86gIVBLDtCh23igOKEAkYBCABEgK-FfD_BwE

Tent looks good, bonus getting the extra groundsheet.

As for a double mat I'm not convinced but it appears you're determined to fill your bag ;-)

Bag looks fine and at that price you can't argue.

I've wanted one of those chairs but never got round to it. Now I'm in the woods not really needed.  My only concern is it sinking straight into the ground.

On 06/07/2020 at 11:25 PM, lancs_lad said:

I'm all over it and have been doing it for years.  I have several set ups and have done a winter camp in an OMM 30L rucksack before.  

I have a basic Bivi which I've used on its own once.

I have two tents, Terra Nova solar comp 2 (in pictures), it's basically a roomy 1 man but have shared it with the ex wife before.

The other is an Alpkit Ordos 3 which is a spacious 2 man.  I'm 6ft 3 so need the length.

Sleeping bags I have 5. Couple of snugpaks (I'm sure you're aware of these if ex military) as they stay warm if wet being synthetic. The trade off is they are bulkier and heavier.

The other 3 are down, a super lightweight summer bag (mountain Hardwear)(used in winter wearing all my clothes and down jacket), an middle of the road one (Alpkit)and a winter bag (mountain equipment).

Last couple of years I've moved away from tents and got into bushcraft, I now go "wild hammocking" instead.  The kit is bulkier and I'm taking a full size Bergen rather than a high street rucksack but I find it so much more rewarding and relaxing being inside a wood than up on open moorland.

I'm going this Saturday actually.

FB_IMG_1594073032654.jpg

FB_IMG_1594073040816.jpg

FB_IMG_1594073204606.jpg

FB_IMG_1594073216913.jpg

Screenshot_20200706_232506.jpg

Which cave is that mate you kipped in with the bivvys ? I think is one not far from me in peak district 

3 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

I’d avoid Wales for a month. If a local sees you wild camping so close to coming out of lockdown they won’t be impressed and it’ll cause issues for future wild camping. 
I’m waiting to go trail riding out there but as above I’ll give it a month before I go just to avoid issue. 
@lancs_lad nice set ups. I have a bit of Alp kit, Snugpak etc kit. I find it’s not so much the cold but damp that causes me problems especially if it’s rained one day and next night putting up wet gear again. 
Definitely a need for multiple dry bags if doing more than one night. 

Yes definitely it's the damp in the UK that is the hardest thing to manage.  A tent can be soaked even without rain due to condensation.

I'm a bit nervous about going this weekend but I'm going to barely visited bit of the lakes and in a wood at 450m. Hopefully won't see anyone.  

Some of the pictures I've seen of how idiots have trashed it during lockdown is a joke.  

38 minutes ago, lancs_lad said:

Yes definitely it's the damp in the UK that is the hardest thing to manage.  A tent can be soaked even without rain due to condensation.

I'm a bit nervous about going this weekend but I'm going to barely visited bit of the lakes and in a wood at 450m. Hopefully won't see anyone.  

Some of the pictures I've seen of how idiots have trashed it during lockdown is a joke.  

As with any hobby or pursuit, it’ll attract those who don’t think about the consequences of their behaviour, usually tends to be those in it short term. 

1 hour ago, lancs_lad said:

Tent looks good, bonus getting the extra groundsheet.

As for a double mat I'm not convinced but it appears you're determined to fill your bag ;-)

Bag looks fine and at that price you can't argue.

I've wanted one of those chairs but never got round to it. Now I'm in the woods not really needed.  My only concern is it sinking straight into the ground.

Yea the specs on the tent seem great and just that bit of living space appeals to me. As for the double mat I’m not convinced just Yet I’ll spend the next few days reading reviews and watching videos. In the army I just used the issue blow up one and it went down to about my knee length and I didn’t have any issues so I’ll see. 

I agree on the chair it does have a thing you can attach to the four legs to prevent it from sinking into sand on the beach or lose soft soil 

8D7D16CA-5715-4F75-BA33-B7E23B9FCA73.png

7 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

I think hotels are starting to open up I could book a couple days. I was meant to be doing the mt blanc circuit next couple weeks but got cancelled so I dropped my holidays from 2 weeks down to 1 as I thought I'd still have a bit of a break. I'll go during the week if I go so hoping it will be quieter. 

13 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

I think hotels are starting to open up I could book a couple days. I was meant to be doing the mt blanc circuit next couple weeks but got cancelled so I dropped my holidays from 2 weeks down to 1 as I thought I'd still have a bit of a break. I'll go during the week if I go so hoping it will be quieter. 

How much was the Mt Blanc trip if you don't mind  me asking?

13 minutes ago, Fattynomore said:

How much was the Mt Blanc trip if you don't mind  me asking?

It was about 2k. A group of friends were booking it and they were still finalising the accommodation before it got cancelled so I can't say the exact price. It was for 2 weeks. 

I was really looking forward to it but I'll do it next year now.  

7 hours ago, M73 said:

Which cave is that mate you kipped in with the bivvys ? I think is one not far from me in peak district 

Not peak District.  It's called priests hole in the lakes.

2 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

It was about 2k. A group of friends were booking it and they were still finalising the accommodation before it got cancelled so I can't say the exact price. It was for 2 weeks. 

I was really looking forward to it but I'll do it next year now.  

What was included in that price 2k for weeks in the Alps sounds like a great deal.

10 minutes ago, Fattynomore said:

What was included in that price 2k for weeks in the Alps sounds like a great deal.

I'll see if get the details, it will be on my phone somewhere in  whattsapp messages. Someone else was booking it and I just tagged along. 

2 hours ago, lancs_lad said:

Great camp last night with mates for my 40th.  Not another person seen after 3pm.

IMG_20200711_184908-01.jpeg

IMG_20200711_211924-01.jpeg

IMG_20200711_203118.jpg

Stunning sky in the middle picture mate, jealous a bit with the camping  I had to settle for a day on the hills and home :-(

Been lucky living in Devon (pretty close to Dartmoor) when at the parents' gaff and near the Lake District when at home home, so wild camping is pretty regular, did a bit over the weekend which was sweet. It's pretty much the same set up with tent, sleeping and cooking kit. But take a lot less clothes if wild camping vs campsite. Wanna try and get a trip around Sweden sorted in the near future and wild camp over there.