BetterThanYou

What's the best gym you've ever been to, and why?

Best gym by far was Maximum’s when it was in Langley, Berkshire.

Owned by the legendary Mark Cullimore....one of the top powerlifters in the world...it produced some of the countries top national level bb’s as well as world class pl’s.

It was the first gym in the UK to be classed as a ‘Hammer Strength Centre’.....also had Nautilus, Gym 80 and the Cybex leg press that Dorian used at his Temple Gym.

Dorian trained at Maximums a few times and Chris Cormier, Kevin Kevrone and Claud Groulx spent 2 days training there before the British GP.

Twice a week from 6pm a DJ came down and played a banging House set until close at 10pm. 

For equipment and atmosphere the place was unreal..... @Pscarb may have trained there because he’s an ‘oldie’ like me.

@BetterThanYou  Dave from the Warehouse will undoubtedly know it.

6 hours ago, js77 said:

Owned by the legendary Mark Cullimore....one of the top powerlifters in the world...it produced some of the countries top national level bb’s as well as world class pl’s.

It was the first gym in the UK to be classed as a ‘Hammer Strength Centre’.....also had Nautilus, Gym 80 and the Cybex leg press that Dorian used at his Temple Gym.

Dorian trained at Maximums a few times and Chris Cormier, Kevin Kevrone and Claud Groulx spent 2 days training there before the British GP.

Twice a week from 6pm a DJ came down and played a banging House set until close at 10pm. 

For equipment and atmosphere the place was unreal..... @Pscarb may have trained there because he’s an ‘oldie’ like me.

Sounds fantastic buddy

Danny

20 minutes ago, ausmaz said:

It is good...... it was just better 20+ years ago.....probably just like me:thumb

Haha, the few gyms locally to me weren’t very good. In fact, it was either a gym which was well worn kit(metal on metal With some grease stiff) or the leisure centre. 
I’ve only really been to Ripley to visit Decathlon and MFN for bike night now and again. If I was young with a car as reliable as they are these days it would  probably have been worth me travelling for some weekend training :thumb

20 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Haha, the few gyms locally to me weren’t very good. In fact, it was either a gym which was well worn kit(metal on metal With some grease stiff) or the leisure centre. 
I’ve only really been to Ripley to visit Decathlon and MFN for bike night now and again. If I was young with a car as reliable as they are these days it would  probably have been worth me travelling for some weekend training :thumb

Yup, it absolutely was/is worth the trip.... your Leicester aren't  you Blue? MFN, fvck I've not heard that in years....is it even still there? .... other than that you won't have missed much in Ripley!

9 minutes ago, ausmaz said:

Yup, it absolutely was/is worth the trip.... your Leicester aren't  you Blue? MFN, fvck I've not heard that in years....is it even still there? .... other than that you won't have missed much in Ripley!

Not far from East Mids Airport. 
MFN is/was owned by the guy that owned the first club I did the door, that’s kinda the only reason I know about it. I THINK it’s still there or at least it was a few years ago. I should go again really as the grounds are great for bike nights, the actual ‘club’ not so much but that could be because it’s still daylight when I’m there. Haha. 

15 hours ago, doyle1987 said:

Might be biased but muscleworks orpington ive trained at and trained at some of best bodybuilding gyms in country.

Its a damn impressive gym, and getting better all the time

City gym Portsmouth - mid 90s to early 2000s,  the gym at HMS Nelson,  Portsmouth too... they'd recently done it out, 5 or 6 racks in total with loads of plates, a quality leg press, benches, dumbbell room and reverse hyper bench - not a common sight in gyms, plus crossfit rigs etc and machines and cardio upstairs, never had a bad session in there as atmosphere was always good and people seemed to take it seriously. Now I train at home as lucky to have the space for a good set up but do miss the atmosphere of a proper gym. 24/7 at fareham near Portsmouth is a very good commercial gym with loads of good equipment. 

16 hours ago, Cronus said:

Muscle factory Thailand, amazing equipment and people

Lots of competitors and high end athletes. Some of the woman looked incredible 

Even have a woman on like a tutu going up and down the route to pick you up on the way if you ask

I rmemebr there was this huge looking bodybuilder who got on in the distance. As he sat on it, looked up and saw me walking towards his way. He then shouted "oh hey man you going to the gym? 

It felt awesome to get recognition from a guy his size that I still looked to him like I lift. I was around 180lbs at that time very lean, he easily had like 40-50lbs on me

Very homo story but very true. Id happily live in Thailand if he wasn't very the dry heat 

I'd happily live in Thailand if it wasn't for the fact I lack skills and money. 

12 hours ago, Tricky said:

I wish I took more pictures but cameras weren’t a big thing back thing. I loved the gym in my patrol base in Afghanistan. Just doing what we could in the blistering sun. Was a chance to get a break from work and some of the best sessions I had there. 

B86CCB24-2574-45AC-9273-E27BF121434A.jpeg

We had something like that, then the side of the hesco gave way and cracked a guy on the skull with a 15kg weight. Got took away after that. Bastards. 

For gyms the best ones with have around the Glasgow area that I know are Extreme gym on south street. Excellent place wirh loads of equipment. Just had a whole new set of Watson's dumbbells delivered before covid. They have a place in east kilbride too.

Outcast Barbell in clydebank is fantastic if your into powerlifting, small place but excellent kit and full of like minded people. They hold their own comps now and then so if your interested in competing it's handy to see roughly what it's like.

We also have central strength right in the city centre. Great place, good kit.

My lockdown home gym of some stretchy bands and couple of chairs to dips on is serving me well, with the added bonus of being able to poo or wank whenever i need to. Toilet is only across the hallway too

14 hours ago, js77 said:

Yea i trained there for around 2yrs when i was working at Heathrow, great place some great guys trained there.

I would say the best-equipped gym i have trained at would be Crayfords weights and fitness.....

12 minutes ago, Pscarb said:

Yea i trained there for around 2yrs when i was working at Heathrow, great place some great guys trained there.

I would say the best-equipped gym i have trained at would be Crayfords weights and fitness.....

Thought you may have been there at some point. 

Dont think we trained there at the same time...I was there from around ‘98.

Mark got hold of the unit next door and doubled the size of the gym in 2000 before developers bought the trading estate.

There are some great gyms around the UK that I’ve trained at(

crayford weights and fitness

Muscleworks Orpington

Ripped gym Basildon

Ultraflex Rotherham

Not quite as good but rhinos Stamford

But my favourite and luckily local to me, Monster gym Cheshunt. All the best hammer, life, strive and Cybex hit from the last 20 years.

Quite a few favourites for me:

Temple Gym Birmingham - the old one, not trained at the new one. 

Muscleworks Orpington - busy but you couldn't argue with the equipment

Maxxmuscle in Hetton - Anth Bailes' old gym before he opened Ultraflex in Durham - great atmosphere and friendly helpful members

Foundry Gym in Dudley - 24/7 gym with all the equipment you'll ever need.

Kings Gym in Croydon - although parking was a nightmare and it was ridiculously busy and roasting hot when I visited during the heatwave last year. Decent equipment and atmosphere though.

18 hours ago, EpicSquats said:

That looks dodgy as fvck, like it could roll off any second.

Don't be such a snow flake, it's got bits of wires at the end, what more do you want

Xercise4less in Bradford was pretty good, was huge and had most machines you can think of, only went to visit some family so popped there a few times. Had a little mess about in boxing ring and octagon there too as I knew lad who worked there once upon a time. From what I remember the membership was like £15 a month too which is just mad, so cheap which gave you free access to something mad like 200 classes a month. Pretty good and wasn't ever busy when I went. 

Forum gym in Chelmsley Wood before it shut was a great gym with a real sense of history and good atmosphere. It was home to some top powerlifters and decent amount of strongman kit at a time when it was rare for gyms to have it. Pics on the wall of Bill Kazmaier training there back in the day too.

Emporium in Brum was decent before it moved down the road and attracted the instagram to55ers, but i'm sure that applies to most gyms nowadays.

Ironworks in Kings Norton is ace...huge array of kit and great staff.

Castle gym in Nottingham town centre was good...it was literally underground so felt like a bit of a dungeon.

Dino's in Solihull is up there too. 

On 7/5/2020 at 12:11 PM, toecutter said:

Seriously Aarron Lambo & partners Alpha Training Gym, when it was in Rushden. They had a spacious industrial unit with good kit. Easy, plentiful car parking space and accessible for anyone travelling as it was just off the a45. They since moved to Wellingborough - a much smaller and dingy place. Only went there once. Not sure if they are still there or somewhere else, but when they were in Rushden, yeah shame about the owner but Alpha training was a good gym. 

That guy is on YouTube? Lambo seems to only except members by invitation only. You pay a silly price but have access to Alpha's incredible products. Which are doubtless a pile of you know what like most supplements. 

6 hours ago, Fletch68 said:

That guy is on YouTube? Lambo seems to only except members by invitation only. You pay a silly price but have access to Alpha's incredible products. Which are doubtless a pile of you know what like most supplements. 

When I did my first test cycle I was blown away at the realization that supplements are a complete scam. Test is so cheap and it works. But due to laws and the negative perception of anabolic hormones, people continue to waste money on a sham industry.

As for the best gym I have ever train at, it has to be hands down the university gym I used to go to. New facility and equipment. Not to mention filled with hot fit girls. The gym I go to now is just filled with older dudes and overweight women.

Adlington barbell club, Wigan was another good place I trained years back in my PL days.

Basic but brutal, all you really needed.

Danny

One I go to in Malta has the best views at the moment. Had to move to the roof of the hotel so we dont have to wear masks, like a furnace though if you go after 9am.

20200705_092737.jpg