BetterThanYou

What's the best gym you've ever been to, and why?

Can't say but I like a gym with

1) good amount of power racks and benches. Too many lack these

2) people with good etiquette (no time wasters, or people that leave bottle and clothes on unused equipment). 

3) good equipment (e.g good variety and db's that aren't limited to low weights) 

Any gym that has these I fall in love with. 

I've trained at quite a few over the years but this was always to supplement my home training. Eventually I got fed up of waiting for the equipment I wanted to use and the amount of people using extremely bad form or doing stupid things. So now I train at home all the time unless I am holiday and then I will use the hotel gym or a nearby one. Can't be home training though once you get a setup that works for you. 

Atlas gym in Milton Keynes. It was like stepping back in time, no fuss no bullshit 

Seriously Aarron Lambo & partners Alpha Training Gym, when it was in Rushden. They had a spacious industrial unit with good kit. Easy, plentiful car parking space and accessible for anyone travelling as it was just off the a45. They since moved to Wellingborough - a much smaller and dingy place. Only went there once. Not sure if they are still there or somewhere else, but when they were in Rushden, yeah shame about the owner but Alpha training was a good gym. 

1 hour ago, monkeybiker said:

Best would be Pulse gym in Ripley, Derbyshire. It's been bought out now, used to be more hardcore. They used to have buckets on the floor for when it rained as the roof leaked:lol:

Looks like this now

http://gymfit-ripley.co.uk/facilities/

No $hit! I used to train there as a young fella.... we're goin back over 20 years but it was THE best gym for miles around.... PROPER hardcore from maybe 97-2000 as they had a few competitive bb'ers train there. I went back there last year when we visited the uk..... and it's changed A LOT..... it's got carpet down now!

12 minutes ago, ausmaz said:

No $hit! I used to train there as a young fella.... we're goin back over 20 years but it was THE best gym for miles around.... PROPER hardcore from maybe 97-2000 as they had a few competitive bb'ers train there. I went back there last year when we visited the uk..... and it's changed A LOT..... it's got carpet down now!

Carpets! Oh my god. It's like if I go into a restaurant and they have table cloths, I know straight away it's far too posh for me:lol:

Muscle factory Thailand, amazing equipment and people

Lots of competitors and high end athletes. Some of the woman looked incredible 

Even have a woman on like a tutu going up and down the route to pick you up on the way if you ask

I rmemebr there was this huge looking bodybuilder who got on in the distance. As he sat on it, looked up and saw me walking towards his way. He then shouted "oh hey man you going to the gym? 

It felt awesome to get recognition from a guy his size that I still looked to him like I lift. I was around 180lbs at that time very lean, he easily had like 40-50lbs on me

Very homo story but very true. Id happily live in Thailand if he wasn't very the dry heat 

Muscle Beach. Too be honest, it’s a bit crap, like California in general. But I’ve been, so it’s one less on the bucket list.

Having said that, I wouldn’t mind going back because I’m older now and might appreciate it a bit more. In particular, the 18+ stone bodybuilder wearing nothing but a thong who flew past me on in line roller skates at about 25mph. Anywhere else in the world he would have looked a right idiot. In Venice he looked cool as f**k. 

No homo.

Edit. I think I’ve got pics somewhere in the loft. As clearing the loft out is on my next job to do whilst still furloughed I’ll stick them up in here if I can find any.

5 hours ago, Lancashiregent said:

That is indeed one hell of a gym. 

Incredibly well looked after and every conceivable piece of equipment.

Correct mate, sort of old school gym but with the latest equipment only round the corner for me aswell

7 hours ago, BetterThanYou said:

What's your favourite gym that you've been to and why was it the best?

I've never been to any of the London gyms so my favourite is..

https://www.thewarehousegym.com/ in West Byfleet

I’ve known Dave Martin, the GM, for many years. Lovely fella.

Pukka gym with proper Watson dumbbells that are a rare sight these days. Admittedly I’ve nit been there since it opened but it needs more competitors to get that ‘buzzing’ atmosphere. 

Cuba - basic but good, had the gym to myself, steak and eggs for breaky every day:)74F134F8-FE81-4C12-9781-67D1E430B9D5.jpeg.27cc1b612832766c8a0bbf88f7a412ca.jpeg00C95C1F-773D-461A-8FE1-FC5DD3EFBF7D.jpeg.50945c4be80e1cea2095d551606c9c74.jpegMexico - fook I could have lived in that gym (only busy when the stage acts trained)614DA5A3-19D6-4063-85AF-5EA1D7D6393D.jpeg.bbd5fa4cc2896a53cde12e7e9f83e29a.jpeg
What an entrance though!DD4D18DE-56DE-45A7-B69F-A9DA9B62C8A6.jpeg.43faa443396b1de65b69c0105f907114.jpeg

I wish I took more pictures but cameras weren’t a big thing back thing. I loved the gym in my patrol base in Afghanistan. Just doing what we could in the blistering sun. Was a chance to get a break from work and some of the best sessions I had there. 

B86CCB24-2574-45AC-9273-E27BF121434A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tricky said:

I wish I took more pictures but cameras weren’t a big thing back thing. I loved the gym in my patrol base in Afghanistan. Just doing what we could in the blistering sun. Was a chance to get a break from work and some of the best sessions I had there. 

B86CCB24-2574-45AC-9273-E27BF121434A.jpeg

That looks dodgy as fvck, like it could roll off any second.