feelinfine

How far would you drive to the gym?

Before the lockdown I went to a nearby gym because it was a 5 min drive and it was open 24 hours.  I've talked to the owner and when they eventually reopen it will no longer be open 24/7 and you will have to arrange a timeslot before hand during staffed hours.

The only reason why I went to this gym was because of the convenience. The monthly dues are high and the gym itself is very small. I was thinking about trying out other gyms when things finally open up again. There are some really nice gyms but it is a bit of a drive to get out there.

What is the max distance you are willing to drive to the gym?

20 minutes ago, SwoleTip said:

I don't drive now that I live in London. Takes me like 30 mins to get to the gym though. I think 40 is the longest I'd do 

Any idea when Kings is opening mate?

22 minutes ago, SwoleTip said:

I don't drive now that I live in London. Takes me like 30 mins to get to the gym though. I think 40 is the longest I'd do 

Do you walk? 30 mins is pushing it already. There is no way I could do 40 mins, even driving that far would drive me nuts.

24 minutes ago, feelinfine said:

Do you walk? 30 mins is pushing it already. There is no way I could do 40 mins, even driving that far would drive me nuts.

Walking + train. I miss the days when my gym was a 3 minute drive. Tryna get it down to 20 so looking for other gyms 

26 minutes ago, js77 said:

Any idea when Kings is opening mate?

Not sure mate. I wanna join but it's a bit of a trek away for me, all the good gyms are.. Hence why I go Puregym 

Could of drove to my old gym the entire lock-down and that is 30 minutes away

I will happily wait for my local one to reopen I have found plenty to be getting on with in the meantime and all that would beat a one hour commute before work everyday and a ton of petrol on top

Danny

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

Could of drove to my old gym the entire lock-down and that is 30 minutes away

I will happily wait for my local one to reopen I have found plenty to be getting on with in the meantime and all that would beat a one hour commute before work everyday and a ton of petrol on top

Danny

I used to travel 30 mins to a gym but wont do it now. Like you say the fuel cost quickly add up. You spend more money on fuel than the membership cost.

20..25 min drive tops..more time means your preworkouts are kicking in to early...post food goes in late, just a pain in the ass.

15-20 mins? My gym is a franchise job so i can train at all their clubs nationally and internationally, so I've got one that's on my doorstep 5 mins away..... and a bigger, better one about 20 mins away, perfect:thumb

1 hour ago, ausmaz said:

15-20 mins? My gym is a franchise job so i can train at all their clubs nationally and internationally, so I've got one that's on my doorstep 5 mins away..... and a bigger, better one about 20 mins away, perfect:thumb

Would that be snap Fitness ?

27 minutes ago, gymaddict1986 said:

Would that be snap Fitness ?

Ha! Close..... anytime.... although there are a lot of them around me.... have you been? Are they any good?

17 minutes ago, ausmaz said:

Ha! Close..... anytime.... although there are a lot of them around me.... have you been? Are they any good?

Snap fitness is one of the better ones mate if I am honest . Dumbbells go up to 60kg  and equipment isn’t bad and obviously like yours it’s a chain and you can get into any snap fitness . Personally I prefer the spit and saw dust gyms  but snap isn’t bad if your after a 24 hour gym 

1 hour ago, gymaddict1986 said:

Snap fitness is one of the better ones mate if I am honest . Dumbbells go up to 60kg  and equipment isn’t bad and obviously like yours it’s a chain and you can get into any snap fitness . Personally I prefer the spit and saw dust gyms  but snap isn’t bad if your after a 24 hour gym 

Thanks mate I'll check them out, it is a pain not having dbells over 50kg and im a bit pissed off with the place anyway.... your dead right i'd kill for a spit and sawdust place but unfortunately there are no such places here! 

I'd say 95%+ are 'high street commercial 24hour types' 2% are bodybuilding/powerlifting specific (and nowhere near where i live) and the other 3% are either personal training studios or attached to leisure centres.

7 hours ago, Kazza61 said:

I walk from my back door to my garage gym. If the back door was stuck, I would probably be prepared to walk from the front door to the garage even though it could take an extra few seconds.

My garage is attached to my house so I put a fire door leading to it. The other great thing is that it’s South facing so isn’t hot in there first thing(I train first thing in the mornings). 

6 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

I don’t get why gyms want to reduce the hours when they open back up. Won’t that just make things even worse? 

I think this is just the 24/7 gyms as they’ll need to be staffed to babysit users to ensure they follow the rules. 
Yes, it’s gonna make things worse. 
I got a message off the gym owner as he’s got an app now for booking slots and payments. I told him I’d forfeit my place til things get better to allow others to use his gym but if he doesn’t get a lot returning then let me know as I’m all for supporting local businesses. 

If I didn’t have my own kit I guess I’d travel a good amount as I enjoy training. Short term like during this pandemic I’d probably travel up to 2hrs but then I’d probably make it worthwhile(long sessions) and probably train twice a week heavy and do stuff locally such as pull ups/body weight calf work and cardio on other days. 

21 hours ago, SwoleTip said:

Walking + train. I miss the days when my gym was a 3 minute drive. Tryna get it down to 20 so looking for other gyms 

Not sure mate. I wanna join but it's a bit of a trek away for me, all the good gyms are.. Hence why I go Puregym 

Where in south are you? There are other proper gyms in South London.

1 hour ago, js77 said:

Where in south are you? There are other proper gyms in South London.

Thornton heath mate. Best gyms in South that I know of are King's, and metroflex

53 minutes ago, SwoleTip said:

Thornton heath mate. Best gyms in South that I know of are King's, and metroflex

Yes mate, Metroflex In Sydenham probably the closest. 

4 hours ago, js77 said:

Yes mate, Metroflex In Sydenham probably the closest. 

Yeah it's alright that gym, £40 though, King's is £30 and considerably better and has better hours.