Sign in to follow this  
G-man99

Curcumin, is it worth it?

My elderly mother was told to supplement with it by an NHS consultant for her arthritis. I believe studies are ongoing but experts widely believe it is very beneficial. She purchased caps from Holland and Barrett, they cost like £25 for a months supply, something like that. I opened a cap and all it contained was Turmeric Powder. 

I can’t remember how much you are supposed to take a day but find that out and buy a sachet of Turmeric from the Indian shop and take daily.  The caps my mum was taking (2 a day iirc) contained less than half a teaspoon full if that. Costs about 79p and would last months.

651D232D-062A-4B55-80E7-B75468F52DD0.png

25 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

My elderly mother was told to supplement with it by an NHS consultant for her arthritis. I believe studies are ongoing but experts widely believe it is very beneficial. She purchased caps from Holland and Barrett, they cost like £25 for a months supply, something like that. I opened a cap and all it contained was Turmeric Powder. 

I can’t remember how much you are supposed to take a day but find that out and buy a sachet of Turmeric from the Indian shop and take daily.  The caps my mum was taking (2 a day iirc) contained less than half a teaspoon full if that. Costs about 79p and would last months.

651D232D-062A-4B55-80E7-B75468F52DD0.png

Is it disgusting to drink though????

Do you not need a minimum of 2 teaspoons though to achieve the minimum 200mg daily dose?

1 hour ago, G-man99 said:

Is it disgusting to drink though????

Do you not need a minimum of 2 teaspoons though to achieve the minimum 200mg daily dose?

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/nature-s-garden-turmeric-400mg-containing-curcumin-capsules-60000525?skuid=036048
The powder in the caps is straight turmeric powder I can guarantee you as I’ve split one and compared the powder with turmeric powder from the Indian shop. Exactly the same. The caps themselves are about the same size as below pic. Less than half a teaspoon ish. It’s only really used as a food colouring and doesn’t really taste of anything. You could throw it on pretty much any meal.

DFC8DB6D-5ECB-4CF2-A0B4-BAA354AEA076.jpeg

16 hours ago, G-man99 said:

Any recommendations on taking curcumin for natural joint pain relief etc

Any brands worth looking at?

I know Supplement Needs sell theyre own, and they also sell JP's. Loads of Amazon as well, just need to do the research and find out which is best in terms of the dose of extract they use.

another product which is worth Googling and reading up on is Boswellia. Its a strong anti-inflam for chronic inflammation.

https://www.supplementneeds.co.uk/collections/joint-support/products/supplement-needs-boswellia-serrata-60-capsules

I was using Strom Support Max for knee joints, but the my pain seemed to be coming more from the tendon and ligament below my knee. So starting reading up on anti-inflams during my time off work during lockdown, and Boswellia kept popping up, amongst other things.

JP does a product called Join In, that contains Boswellia, and since switching from Strom to JPs my tendon/ligament pain has massively lowered. 

https://www.supplementneeds.co.uk/collections/joint-support/products/trained-by-jp-nutrition-join-in

Im also continuing to take Collagen Type II, and also having read up on things ive started to take AAKG, as it improves Collagen  synthesis. I take 3000mg of AAKG everyday. It also improves training performance too. And its cheap.

I’m still in 2 minds on the Curcumin.  I’ve tried various brands for its anti inflammatory benefit and not really noticed any benefit however I’ve been taking the Strom product in conjunction with Supp Needs Boswellia for the past few weeks and that is definitely having a positive effect on my tendinitis.

Whether it’s the quality of the Curcumin extract or a different ingredient entirely I can’t say for sure but it’s the most effective combo I’ve tried yet.

I’m moving onto the JP product next and will take in conjunction with Supp Needs Curcumin/black pepper so will be interesting to see how that compares.

As per Clubber Lang I’ve started to use AAKG too at 3g pre workout.

13 minutes ago, swole troll said:

2 teaspoons is about 8000mg

Take it you’ve tried supplementing with it this way mate?  Did you notice any positive effect?

5 hours ago, Ironman TS said:

Take it you’ve tried supplementing with it this way mate?  Did you notice any positive effect?

It's not something you'd necessarily notice 

Perhaps some improved digestion and overall gut health 

Slightly less inflammation 

Small improvement in health markers 

But this is what supplements do 

They're not going to be the difference between excruciating elbow pain doing super heavy skull crushers vs pain free after you take curcumin.

It's not really that measurable as such, it's more the little 1%s that add up over time when combined with intelligent training and diet.

Personally I take curcumin with piperine daily and have done for the past 5 years.