Sign in to follow this  
CrazyAlex8833

Rounded upper back - deadlift

What do you guys think of intentionally rounding your upper back on the deadlift? Apparently it decreases the range of motion and enables more weight to be lifted. I was doing this in the gym and a personal trainer told me my form is wrong and tried to demonstrate the correct way, which I found laughable.

It might reduce the distance you pull the bar but it wont count as a lift unless your standing straight with the bar and shoulders locked back.

fu**ing stupid.. even if his lumbar is neutral so it's safer, the upper back tightness and using your lats correctly will help you pull more weight, and properly.

A large portion of the best deadlifters in the world do this, pulling far more than anyone on this forum and I've never heard of an upper back herniation from deadlifting

It is always the lumbar which as shown should remain neutral.

There is nothing wrong with a rounded thoracic spine when deadlifting whatsoever 

You shouldn't aim for it as it can make lock out troublesome but in terms of injury prevention, it makes no difference. 

yeah I agree it's not dangerous, and some movement in the thoracic is fine, and even for your lumbar neutral is a range not a specific point ..

but the people who might round at the thoracic do so because they're pulling close to their max and might struggle to keep the upper back and lats tight .. I dont know of a single professional who'll teach this to happen intentionally, and I watch pretty much all of the best deadlifers in the world, since most of them are currently top level strongmen