4 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

yeah, just aim to PB on it and then focus on your good events

That's probably best piece of advice I've heard. Yeah will do thanks!

4 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

haha to be fair at the time of the comp I'd only ever done it for a single from the floor, so I was happy with 4

Someone at my gym said that you tend to PB on comp day, with the adrenaline etc. It's so tempting though to keep working out hard but gotta peak at the right time. 

I'm aiming for 10 on the axle. 

Deadlift am aiming for 15.

The moving events I'm just gonna go as fast as I can haha. Might run my 50plates up and down the garden a few times lol

Obviously this is a deadlift log but had a really upper body session today so I'll pop it here but not major detail

Shoulder and back dynamic warm ups (including Cuban press)

Incline bench, top set 100kg*1. Prior to that 90kg*4

Axle cleans 40kg*6. Each set got progressively better, adapting very quickly to the move. Deliberately did it while slightly fatigued so that when I do it first, I'll be stronger and technique will be spot on. I'm very pleased with it as it is and now not so concerned about the axle clean and press BUT I'm realistic and will definitely continue practise. 

Chest press, top set 150kg*6

Incline dumbbell (50-70°) 20kg EH*10 for 3 sets

Cable upright row 3 sets of 8

Last session with stims today. Give my adrenal gland (and nose) a break and then will get full benefits on comp day. 2 weeks of recovery. Today was the last heavy session. Will just focus on nailing techniques and conditioning. 

Did the stepper for 10mins today, climbed 90 floors apparently. Avg heart rate was 160bpm. Felt fine other than water dripping off me haha. 

Awful session today. So many idiots around getting in the way of deadlifts. Some guy was curling in the power rack, so had to kick him out. Not a good start. Was really looking forward to my session. Plan to was to do reverse banded deadlifts, high pulls and lat pulldown, with some Cuban presses at the end. Got as far as the Deadlifts before calling it a day. 

So the bands assisted the first half of the rep which was perfect. Started with 100*10. Then 140*6 then two sets of 180*2 which, yes it was assisted is something I'm pleased with. Good for practising my lockout but still getting the benefits of off the floor. I'd say they took 20-30kg off each side but were loose at the top so it was minimal assistance but still assistance nonetheless. Decided to try 200kg for the fun of it, seeing as I had the bands. Got it moving as you'd expect with bands... failed just above the knee. That's always been my sticking point!!

Went downhill after then due to people just getting in my way and faffing around. Hardly anyone here Squats or deadlifts but it's typically on the day I want to DL that everyone is gonna play up. Did some cardio out of anger and went home and ate lol. 

On 22/09/2020 at 10:04 AM, JLawson90 said:

atleast you got something done, better than nothing! .. did you see my 6 plate attempt? failed just after the knee as well haha

Yeah that is a good point!

Damn, got 6 plates moving though!

27 minutes ago, CrazyAlex8833 said:

I'm also aiming for 5 plates, drug free. How many times are you deadlifting per week?

I generally DL 1x a week but will do twice occasionally

17 minutes ago, Iron Lou said:

I generally DL 1x a week but will do twice occasionally

High frequency and low volume work best for me,  I think deadlifting at around 70%-80% of 1rm 3 times per week is optimal for progress but I ain't squatting or benching since I'm training at home, for now.

12 minutes ago, CrazyAlex8833 said:

High frequency and low volume work best for me,  I think deadlifting at around 70%-80% of 1rm 3 times per week is optimal for progress but I ain't squatting or benching since I'm training at home, for now.

I think you'll be training at home for a while based on Boris' announcement!! I think not doing legs or glutes you're missing out on a lot of extra benefits but can only work with what you have but goblet squats and pistol Squats are really good for supplementing deadlifts, for instance.

I'm of the train of thought that lifting heavy 1 every 10 days is optimal for me. So if I do an extra session in a week, it'll be a low weight high rep or other variable, or even a different style i.e raised, deficit, paused. I don't think enhanced or natty really comes into it, it's more what works for your body. Gear will give you better recovery amongst other benefits as we all know but you still have to lift and eat properly. 

2 hours ago, Iron Lou said:

I think you'll be training at home for a while based on Boris' announcement!! I think not doing legs or glutes you're missing out on a lot of extra benefits but can only work with what you have but goblet squats and pistol Squats are really good for supplementing deadlifts, for instance.

I'm of the train of thought that lifting heavy 1 every 10 days is optimal for me. So if I do an extra session in a week, it'll be a low weight high rep or other variable, or even a different style i.e raised, deficit, paused. I don't think enhanced or natty really comes into it, it's more what works for your body. Gear will give you better recovery amongst other benefits as we all know but you still have to lift and eat properly. 

Doing more cleaning than lifting put me off and don't enjoy doing squats anyway.

I think quite a few recent studies sugguest that high frequency is more effective for strength, one study in Norway concluded that even training lifts every day is more effective than low frequency but if you are happy with your current schedule and gaining well, then I guess there is no point in changing it.

19 hours ago, CrazyAlex8833 said:

Doing more cleaning than lifting put me off and don't enjoy doing squats anyway.

I think quite a few recent studies sugguest that high frequency is more effective for strength, one study in Norway concluded that even training lifts every day is more effective than low frequency but if you are happy with your current schedule and gaining well, then I guess there is no point in changing it.

I always cleaned up anyway so it didn't make any difference to me. Not doing squats you're missing out on a huge amount of benefits for your posterior chain, legs and overall conditioning. Especially as a natty lifter due to the increase in free test levels. 

The Deadlift is very taxing on the CNS, even more so for natties. Freshness is very important in strength sports. You also have to take into account intensity. You can't go balls to the wall 3x a week and expect to progress. That's why periodization is used in professional sports. If I increased the frequency, it'd be 3x in 14 days i.e first session low intensity, next medium and then 3rd high intensity and repeat. But what I do is getting me gaining so imma stick to it.

2 hours ago, Iron Lou said:

I always cleaned up anyway so it didn't make any difference to me. Not doing squats you're missing out on a huge amount of benefits for your posterior chain, legs and overall conditioning. Especially as a natty lifter due to the increase in free test levels. 

The Deadlift is very taxing on the CNS, even more so for natties. Freshness is very important in strength sports. You also have to take into account intensity. You can't go balls to the wall 3x a week and expect to progress. That's why periodization is used in professional sports. If I increased the frequency, it'd be 3x in 14 days i.e first session low intensity, next medium and then 3rd high intensity and repeat. But what I do is getting me gaining so imma stick to it.

I got to a 250kg deadlift 8 years ago by using high frequency, but never went to failure and used low volume. I've aways trained my deadlift 2 or 3 times per week. Recent studies confirm this method as the most beneficial for strength gains, for example below.

In conclusion, training a muscle 5x per week led to substantially greater muscle growth than training a muscle once or twice per week. Training a muscle at least twice per week is probably also beneficial for strength development.

https://mennohenselmans.com/high-resistance-training-frequency-enhances-muscle-thickness-resistance-trained-men/

34 minutes ago, CrazyAlex8833 said:

I've aways trained my deadlift 2 or 3 times per week

You don't squat. I do.

36 minutes ago, CrazyAlex8833 said:

training a muscle 5x per week led to substantially greater muscle growth than training a muscle once or twice per week.

A muscle, singular. What about all the others? It has to be applicable in the real world. If you can train 5x a week then go for it, but drug free? Really?

37 minutes ago, CrazyAlex8833 said:

Training a muscle at least twice per week is probably also beneficial for strength development.

Probably.

My point is, there are studies to prove whatever you want. Just do what works for you and don't come into threads saying people wrong for doing a specific routine. Also you will notice in my post, I would move to 3x a week on a periodization protocol if/when I do increase frequency. But I love squats.

The comp has been changed to 3 events, which I'm kind of pleased with, as 2 of them I'm good at! So it's just the axle clean & press, Deadlift and loading race now. Gives me a much better chance of not embarrassing myself haha. 

Had a session on axle floor to overhead yesterday. Decided to go with continental clean for technique on the day as I seem to have learned some bad habits on one motioning. I think a realistic target for the day is 4-6 reps, which will be a PB for me too. Followed up with shoulder press, incline bench, incline dumbbell and chest flyes. Next session will be deadlifts but nothing mental as got the comp in a week

On 24/09/2020 at 2:30 PM, CrazyAlex8833 said:

I got to a 250kg deadlift 8 years ago by using high frequency, but never went to failure and used low volume. I've aways trained my deadlift 2 or 3 times per week. Recent studies confirm this method as the most beneficial for strength gains, for example below.

In conclusion, training a muscle 5x per week led to substantially greater muscle growth than training a muscle once or twice per week. Training a muscle at least twice per week is probably also beneficial for strength development.

https://mennohenselmans.com/high-resistance-training-frequency-enhances-muscle-thickness-resistance-trained-men/

Probably beneficial for strength? It either is or isn't. Concluding a study with conjecture ffs. Probably bollocks

On 24/09/2020 at 2:30 PM, CrazyAlex8833 said:

If you actually read the whole study you would see that they came to the conclusion that training a muscle once per week was as effective for strength as training  it 5 times per week. 

If you don’t believe me then go and read the study and under the Discussion section is where you will find it.

So today, found out the comp has been (unsurprisingly) postponed. Went with my planned workout anyway. Weirdly can't seem to connect with the weights or get the mind muscle connection going but still able to lift the weight fine.

Started with rack pulls just below the knee, working sets of 4*3, 2sets at 140kg, 2 sets at 160kg. Felt could have gone heavier but given I tried 200kg the other day, decided not to.

Followed with cable row,  4 sets of 50kgx10. 

Lat row, 3*10 sets, 60,70,90kg

Lat pulldown 56kg * 10 4 sets

Then some rear delt flyes and finished.

It was a strange one, got the weight moving fine, was actually very strong for me. Didn't get tired even though I didn't exactly go slow. Got a pump in the end on my back but just couldn't 'feel' the weight. My bet is my warm up was rushed hence the lack of connection but this is the 3rd session now. 

On 27/09/2020 at 12:22 AM, boutye911 said:

If you actually read the whole study you would see that they came to the conclusion that training a muscle once per week was as effective for strength as training  it 5 times per week. 

If you don’t believe me then go and read the study and under the Discussion section is where you will find it.

I don’t believe in studies there’s to many different circumstances for each people. Training a body part once a week I always get weaker and Iv tried many times. Twice a week is the sweet spot for me 

On 28/09/2020 at 6:26 PM, Iron Lou said:

So today, found out the comp has been (unsurprisingly) postponed. Went with my planned workout anyway. Weirdly can't seem to connect with the weights or get the mind muscle connection going but still able to lift the weight fine.

Started with rack pulls just below the knee, working sets of 4*3, 2sets at 140kg, 2 sets at 160kg. Felt could have gone heavier but given I tried 200kg the other day, decided not to.

Followed with cable row,  4 sets of 50kgx10. 

Lat row, 3*10 sets, 60,70,90kg

Lat pulldown 56kg * 10 4 sets

Then some rear delt flyes and finished.

It was a strange one, got the weight moving fine, was actually very strong for me. Didn't get tired even though I didn't exactly go slow. Got a pump in the end on my back but just couldn't 'feel' the weight. My bet is my warm up was rushed hence the lack of connection but this is the 3rd session now. 

I’ve never understood this “feeling it” thing. It’s a bit like “activate those glutes “ 

certain muscles are required for certain movements , like a pull down, or a squat. Therefore they are being worked in those movements regardless , you can’t pull the bar down without working your lats and can’t stand up without working your glutes. 

I do however try to focus my mind on using the muscles I’m aiming for in a lift, not sure what difference eit makes mind 

On 30/09/2020 at 1:52 PM, Jackoffblades said:

to many different circumstances for each people

Exactly. Studies have a use but to swear by it, unless it covers your specific requirements, is silly.

On 30/09/2020 at 2:00 PM, Youdontknowme said:

I do however try to focus my mind on using the muscles I’m aiming for in a lift, not sure what difference eit makes mind 

Yeah that's more like what I mean. For me, I think it makes some difference. If I'm not focused on the muscles I'm using, my form is more likely to suffer. 

There's a difference between just using the muscle and consciously contracting the muscle though. You'll fatigue quicker consciously contracting the muscle but then you'll work the muscle harder so it depends on your preferred style IMO. 

So, not been on for a while as took 2 weeks to work on the house. Went down the gym like, 6 times in that period. Didn't deadlift at all as doing a lot of lifting on the wheelbarrow, along with flooring, ripping out a bathroom and so on... Anyway, did 3 PB's in that time. 

Incline bench 102.5kg X 2 - increase of a rep lol

Flat bench 100kg  X 4 for two sets - rep and set PB

Squats 120kg X 5 rep PB

Naturally very pleased with that. Today, as back at work, went down in the evening and did deadlifts. Workout below. No pwo, ammonia for top set 

Dynamic glute, adductor stretching, Hyperextensions.

Deadlift 60*10, 100*8, 140*3. Added straps for 160*3. 190*2 - straps and ammonia. Very very happy with that. Rep and weight PB in the same set. Form was awful but I got the weight for two reps. Yes, lifting the weight isn't be all and end all but it's a max effort. Weight flew up and took me by surprise lol. Rest of the workout was lat pulldown, cable row then tricep work and home. Blood sugar has just dived to 1.9 - I have hypoglycaemia. So just gorged on fruit and sweets and who knows what else. Genuinely cannot think other than eat eat eat when it happens. Fortunately I caught it early and have a proper meal in front of me to see me through the night

Today did chest, felt a bit meh but ground out a good session. 

Incline bench worked up to 90kg for 2*2 

Flat dumbbell press worked up to 43s then 45s for a set of 5

Cable flyes

Tricep pressdown

Dumbbell tricep extension

Kickback

Finish. Nothing major, just not going to neglect pressing whole trying to increase Deadlift. Aim for end of year is to deadlift 195kg, squat 140kg for 5 and dumbbell press the 50s

Legs tonight. Pleased with the session, had to change things around a bit as both squat racks were being used for once lol. 

Dynamic glute/quad/hamstring stretches

Adductor machine

Leg press worked up to 240kg for 12

Safety bar squat worked up to 90*3 & 100*3. Went below parallel nicely. 

Walking lunges 30m with 10kg each hand

Calf raises

donkey calf raises

I like the safety bar squat because I find it really assists the Deadlift due to the need to keep the torso upright among one of the benefits. Also, it worked out well to do leg press first, because if I do squats pre-fatigued, when I come to do them fresh, I'll be even stronger on them. I'm going to do this for the next few sessions and watch my deadlift improve