15 minutes ago, JLawson90 said:

how much and where you located?

Am in Bournemouth, would be looking about £170 - can DM some pics if you're interested

1 minute ago, Iron Lou said:

Am in Bournemouth, would be looking about £170 - can DM some pics if you're interested

no need mate, you're too far away I'm up in newcastle haha

5 minutes ago, JLawson90 said:

no need mate, you're too far away I'm up in newcastle haha

Haha fair enough! I got mine from fitness superstore for £200 in case you decide you want some. Actually they're semi Decent, got a 220kg set + bar from there

So, today first deadlift session back since minor hip problem. Decided to test where I am, so no straps, chalk or ammonia. 

Glute warm ups

Kickbacks

Walking adductors

Deadlift 60*10, 100*8, 140*4, 140*4, 160*1

Cable row 4*10 at 50kg

Lat pulldown 4*8 at 50kg

Ran out of time for anything else but felt like a good place to finish. Hips were fine, and actually the deadlift felt easy, so the time off has done me good!

Interestingly, one of the lads at the gym is entering a local strongman comp (novice level) and recommended I join. The deadlift is 150kg AMRAP for 60s, which I believe is well within my abilities to get a solid 10. Other events are axle press, yoke, loading medley and Conan's wheel. Debating it as it's in October but my shoulder press is already at the standard. Loading and Conan's wheel are only ones that would be brand new to me but I'm game to try it out!

On 28/08/2020 at 2:52 PM, Iron Lou said:

So, today first deadlift session back since minor hip problem. Decided to test where I am, so no straps, chalk or ammonia. 

Glute warm ups

Kickbacks

Walking adductors

Deadlift 60*10, 100*8, 140*4, 140*4, 160*1

Cable row 4*10 at 50kg

Lat pulldown 4*8 at 50kg

Ran out of time for anything else but felt like a good place to finish. Hips were fine, and actually the deadlift felt easy, so the time off has done me good!

Interestingly, one of the lads at the gym is entering a local strongman comp (novice level) and recommended I join. The deadlift is 150kg AMRAP for 60s, which I believe is well within my abilities to get a solid 10. Other events are axle press, yoke, loading medley and Conan's wheel. Debating it as it's in October but my shoulder press is already at the standard. Loading and Conan's wheel are only ones that would be brand new to me but I'm game to try it out!

That's a very low deadlift for a novice comp.  Most are 200kg for reps.  Do it I say as it'll give you the bug and you dont have to wait to feel comfortable in a normal novice comp. 

Out of curiosity what are the other weights?

17 minutes ago, lancs_lad said:

That's a very low deadlift for a novice comp.  Most are 200kg for reps.  Do it I say as it'll give you the bug and you dont have to wait to feel comfortable in a normal novice comp. 

Out of curiosity what are the other weights?

Tbh I don't know if it's even novice! I was surprised to see 150kg for reps but that's in the "A" Class. The "C" class is 240kg. I'm keen to do it but apparently they're full now. He's got another in December, so imma wait and see what the lifts will be, while trying to improve my DL.

Weights for Men's A:

Axle clean and press 60kg AMRAP

Deadlift 150kg AMRAP

Yoke 160kg time over distance

Loading 45,60,80kg time over distance

Conan wheel 120kg distance

Yeah I'd love to do it, I'm a competitive person, even if I don't win I live off competing

is that by manimal in rotherham by any chance? he doesnt like labelling his comps as first timers and novice etc, uses a labelling class instead so people enter categories best suited

and FYI, I'd say most novice comps are 180kg for reps, 200kg for reps is certainly within novice range though, my first one was lol

5 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

is that by manimal in rotherham by any chance? he doesnt like labelling his comps as first timers and novice etc, uses a labelling class instead so people enter categories best suited

and FYI, I'd say most novice comps are 180kg for reps, 200kg for reps is certainly within novice range though, my first one was lol

It's Dorset's strongest Man, in Weymouth/Portland area, although I've heard of manimal. Makes sense labelling it like that with the classes tbh, marketing and whatnot.

That follows actually, lots of people mentioned 200kg as the number to shoot for. I hope I can get into this comp, as 150kg is definitely in my reach. But if not, I've got time before December to get ready for the next one he's doing down here. 

What was your BW and reps when you did that comp?

20 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

You sure? I'm doing my first comp with him in November and it's definitely class based. Novice, u105, open and masters.

I saw one in Wirral pre lockdown that was class 123 etc. 

21 hours ago, Iron Lou said:

Tbh I don't know if it's even novice! I was surprised to see 150kg for reps but that's in the "A" Class. The "C" class is 240kg. I'm keen to do it but apparently they're full now. He's got another in December, so imma wait and see what the lifts will be, while trying to improve my DL.

Weights for Men's A:

Axle clean and press 60kg AMRAP

Deadlift 150kg AMRAP

Yoke 160kg time over distance

Loading 45,60,80kg time over distance

Conan wheel 120kg distance

Yeah I'd love to do it, I'm a competitive person, even if I don't win I live off competing

Id call that "CrossFit but want to try strongman to see if I like it" class.

Needs to be more of them as loads of my clients could do that but would be sometime away from a proper novice.

Only problem is to make sure people enter based on their strength. Bit knobheady  if for example an ex powerlifter entered novice just because it's his first comp and smashed it by a country mile. 

5 minutes ago, lancs_lad said:

Id call that "CrossFit but want to try strongman to see if I like it" class.

Spot on Haha

6 minutes ago, lancs_lad said:

Needs to be more of them as loads of my clients could do that but would be sometime away from a proper novice.

Yeah me and the others in the gym were saying something like a 'just for fun' category or lower class levels would be great, make it more Accessible etc but it'll come in time due to the traction it's getting as a sport

7 minutes ago, lancs_lad said:

Only problem is to make sure people enter based on their strength. Bit knobheady  if for example an ex powerlifter entered novice just because it's his first comp and smashed it by a country mile

True that, people should be honest with themselves when entering.  Although, if it's genuinely someone's first comp, would they be able to enter anything higher?

1 hour ago, Iron Lou said:

True that, people should be honest with themselves when entering.  Although, if it's genuinely someone's first comp, would they be able to enter anything higher?

Yes you can enter any class you like.  Not novice if you've placed tho (maybe just won, not sure).

On 9/1/2020 at 9:19 PM, Iron Lou said:

It's Dorset's strongest Man, in Weymouth/Portland area, although I've heard of manimal. Makes sense labelling it like that with the classes tbh, marketing and whatnot.

That follows actually, lots of people mentioned 200kg as the number to shoot for. I hope I can get into this comp, as 150kg is definitely in my reach. But if not, I've got time before December to get ready for the next one he's doing down here. 

What was your BW and reps when you did that comp?

bodyweight was probably 100kg? I managed 4 reps on the 200kg deadlift, which was a PB as I only ever hit it for a single once before the comp lol

On 2020/9/3 at 11:22 AM, JLawson90 said:

which was a PB as I only ever hit it for a single once before the comp lol

I've heard this happens a lot lol

Gives me some hope haha

Was stuck for a workout today since I'm doing work on the house still, so legs was out the question. Did chest and shoulders the other day so did a back session.

I was on 2 meals, but still had a good session. I'm used to training on 3/4meals minimum but IF I'm entering a strongman comp, I'll need to get used to this. I front load my carbs by up to 18 hours, so training "on empty" or one/two meals doesn't make a lot of difference to me. 

Warm ups

Internal/External shoulder rotation, rear delt warm ups, glute warm ups.

Deadlift 100*5, 140*3, 140*3, 140*3

Machine pullover 3 sets of 12

Wide(ish) grip overhand pull-ups 6,4,4 (I'm happy with that, bw 89kg)

Machine row 3 sets of 12

Cable row 3 sets of 10

Finished with biceps

Quite a bodybuilder-ish workout after the Deadlifts but seeing as I'm laying a floor tomorrow, I didn't want to do too much on my lower back. 

First set of deads at 100kg felt like an empty bar, didn't bother with the standard 60kg warm up and they just flew up. 140kg was smooth, no wraps/stims. 

Rest of the session was quite strong, for me anyway. None of these CrossFit pull-ups, strict as you like, so I'm quite happy I managed those since I've never even tried a pull-up above 75kg (which was about 2 years ago...). Yes 15kg BW in just under 2 years but that's another story.

Did a leg session today. Really enjoyed it, got a massive pump but got a cramp after eating dinner lol, evidently not enough sodium/water but topped up and doesn't feel like it will in my sleep, at least I hope not. 

Warm up

Dynamic glute stretching, pistol Squats, Spanish Squats, abduction machine

Back Squat

60*12, 80*3, 90*3, 100*3, 110*3, 120*2

Leg press

120*20, 160*10, 200*10 drop set to 120* failure followed by sissy Squats

Leg extensions

20*20, 30*20, 40*10

Walking lunges

20metres, 20metres

Again, after Squats, a very bodybuilder-ish session but felt good and this sort of training keeps me strong and improves my stamina. 

I tend to keep leg press stance at a similar stance to my DL stance so that I can improve my leg drive and get the feeling of 'pushing the earth away'. 

Will be an upper body session on Wednesday, chest and shoulders, so won't really update until Friday which will be deadlifts again, except a variation this time. Stay tuned;)

So much for a variation today. Today's session was based on two of the events that are coming up in the Strongman comp. Deadlifts, naturally, and axle clean and press. Used my stim and ammonia today and practised with my figure 8 straps.

Warm ups

Adductors, abductors, dynamic glute stretching,  banded rows, shoulder girdle, rotator cuffs

Deadlift - annoyingly had to do it elevated on a rack as other rack was full. This rack we used took the slack out of the bar, as the plates weren't supported. 

60*6 speed

100*4 speed

140*3

160*1

180*1 

120*14 - AMRAP 60 seconds. Very pleased with this, kept a good pace. 

Cable rows 

70*10 for 3 sets

Axle cleans 

Bar * 10

Bar * 10

35 * 6

45 * 6

For the Deadlifts, this is my last heavy session. Was surprised by how quick the 180kg went up! Next session will be low weight, then another AMRAP session then done. Nothing more can do after that really. Got my pre lift routine nailed and happy with my stim and ammonia and wraps. 

With the axle clean, am practicing one motion and getting timings down for the second pull. Debating whether to pull to the belt and clean from there or one motion.

During the day I was shifting concrete blocks and cement bags so practised the loading race with those haha. Can move pretty quick with 50kg of cement in my arms lol. 

Really good session today, had two people from the same show to train with, one in the women's B and the other guy is in the men's A, same as me. Yes we've kind of shown our strengths and weaknesses but at the end of the day we're mates and pushing each other on. 

In relation to the thread, I think I'll have a 200kg deadlift by December based on today's session

Last night was a leg session. Quite simple really. Worked up to a strong 140kg single. Feel like I've got more in the tank but don't want to peak my strength too early. Followed up with 200kg leg press for 3*7 and then walking lunges for 2 sets of 40 metres. Finished off with the stepper. Surprised at my cardio, maintained heart rate of 170bpm for 5 mins, only stopped cause my legs hurt lol. 

Going to increase usage of the stepper in coming weeks, since 3 events are moving events. Will do last heavy session on Monday coming, thereafter there's not much I can do strength wise, so I'll just work on my technique and cardio. Might not be the strongest come Oct 3rd but I can give myself a good chance of placing well if my cardio is there, since I imagine quite a few people will gas out quite quickly, I don't want to be one of them!

On 9/11/2020 at 10:42 PM, Iron Lou said:

With the axle clean, am practicing one motion and getting timings down for the second pull. Debating whether to pull to the belt and clean from there or one motion.

what's the comp weight? unless it's light I'd practise both .. you dont want  to do 5 or 6 reps, tire out and not be able to power clean, only for your belt clean form to be lacking practise so you cock that up too..

I have a press medley in my next comp - 50kg DB each arm, 80kg axle, 80kg log .. and although I can one motion the 80 axle and viper the 80 log, I'm practising runs just doing them normal as I know I wont make any mistakes even after some fatigue from the DB.. and to be honest, a sloppy power clean is no faster than an efficient quick continental clean

28 minutes ago, JLawson90 said:

what's the comp weight? unless it's light I'd practise both .. you dont want  to do 5 or 6 reps, tire out and not be able to power clean, only for your belt clean form to be lacking practise so you cock that up too

Well it's 60kg, which I can get a solid 10 reps on just pressing but obviously the clean makes a massive difference. Good point you make, tbh I can practice both in my sessions, on the day it'll give me the option to go with what feels best.

30 minutes ago, JLawson90 said:

I'm practising runs just doing them normal as I know I wont make any mistakes even after some fatigue

Yeah practice is what is needed, makes it second nature then and the body will just remember what needs to be done. 

My power clean is much stronger but that's probably from Oly training I did in lockdown when I only had a barbell. It might be a bit late now but I'll add some Cuban presses in as an accessory. At least then once I lose the one motion I can comfortably move to the continental clean. 

52 minutes ago, Iron Lou said:

Well it's 60kg, which I can get a solid 10 reps on just pressing but obviously the clean makes a massive difference. Good point you make, tbh I can practice both in my sessions, on the day it'll give me the option to go with what feels best.

Yeah practice is what is needed, makes it second nature then and the body will just remember what needs to be done. 

My power clean is much stronger but that's probably from Oly training I did in lockdown when I only had a barbell. It might be a bit late now but I'll add some Cuban presses in as an accessory. At least then once I lose the one motion I can comfortably move to the continental clean. 

it's all relative to the individual, but at a lighter weight were you are looking to get into double figures I would definitely be trying to one motion as many as possible before moving onto continental cleans as you tire .. but what's important is to judge each rep before you start.. as for example if you've done 4 reps and are tiring, you go for the 5th but dont have the energy to complete the power clean and it drops, that's wasted time and wasted energy .. you need to be smart enough to say right, I think it's time to switch to continental/belt cleans, before you fail a rep

20 minutes ago, JLawson90 said:

as for example if you've done 4 reps and are tiring, you go for the 5th but dont have the energy to complete the power clean and it drops, that's wasted time and wasted energy

Yeah it's about being smart as much as it is strong. I do this on deadlift AMRAP, when not using straps anyway, I'll switch to a mixed grip halfway through a set if needed. 

I'm with you on one motioning as much as possible. I'm looking for 10 reps, which is one every 6 seconds, so not mental fast but rather a controlled speed. 

24 minutes ago, Iron Lou said:

Yeah it's about being smart as much as it is strong. I do this on deadlift AMRAP, when not using straps anyway, I'll switch to a mixed grip halfway through a set if needed. 

I'm with you on one motioning as much as possible. I'm looking for 10 reps, which is one every 6 seconds, so not mental fast but rather a controlled speed. 

you'll be surprised how fast the time goes haha.. I had 90kg axle for reps last year, I got 4 which was a PB, but I honestly do not recall even having any breather breaks .. it just took a lot out of me so the time flew! I'd be good for double that now though, easy.. so progress atleast lol 

3 minutes ago, JLawson90 said:

you'll be surprised how fast the time goes haha.. I had 90kg axle for reps last year, I got 4 which was a PB, but I honestly do not recall even having any breather breaks .. it just took a lot out of me so the time flew! I'd be good for double that now though, easy.. so progress atleast lol 

I've heard this haha. The axle press is the only one I have concerns with, since I'm happy with my DL and the moving events. So I'm glad it's the first one!!

I'd be happy to make 1 at 90kg haha my 1rm is a shaky 85kg but tbf to me I am like 90kg lol

51 minutes ago, Iron Lou said:

I've heard this haha. The axle press is the only one I have concerns with, since I'm happy with my DL and the moving events. So I'm glad it's the first one!!

I'd be happy to make 1 at 90kg haha my 1rm is a shaky 85kg but tbf to me I am like 90kg lol

yeah, just aim to PB on it and then focus on your good events

haha to be fair at the time of the comp I'd only ever done it for a single from the floor, so I was happy with 4 .. currently my best floor to overhead is 105kg on both axle and log .. but I haven't peaked and tried in a little while