Documenting road to a 5 plate Deadlift here. Current stats 190lbs/86.1kg, 5ft 10/178 cm tall, natty. Current 1RM is 187.5kg. (Squat 1RM is 150kg)

Will note down my progress, more specifically my Deadlift sessions, bit of diet and other sessions when they have direct bearing on my DL. 

Leg session today

Squats 

60kgx12, 90kgx6, 100x3, 110kgx1, 100kgx3, 60kg to failure - paused reps

Static lunges

BW+10kg plate X3 sets of 12 each leg

Bulgarian split squat

To technical Failure each leg

RDL

50kgx12, 70kgx12, 70kgx12

1st proper leg session since lockdown, went well. Got Deadlifts on Wednesday. Target is 170kg for triples! 

59 minutes ago, lancs_lad said:

You deadlifting once a week?

Yes mate. One week heavy, one week not so heavy. I'll alternate my squats in the opposite manner so I'm not squatting heavy on my heavy Deadlift week

1 hour ago, Iron Lou said:

Yes mate. One week heavy, one week not so heavy. I'll alternate my squats in the opposite manner so I'm not squatting heavy on my heavy Deadlift week

I won't consider something else, the deadlift is difficult to recover from , especially if done every week.

I would alternate deadlifts, then a few weeks with something else like rows, good mornings, dumbell rows, pendley rows, heavy shrugs etc...

I don't think I done standard deadlifting more than once every four or 5 weeks and seen good improvements each time.

33 minutes ago, Tonysco said:

I won't consider something else, the deadlift is difficult to recover from , especially if done every week.

I would alternate deadlifts, then a few weeks with something else like rows, good mornings, dumbell rows, pendley rows, heavy shrugs etc...

I don't think I done standard deadlifting more than once every four or 5 weeks and seen good improvements each time.

Yeah, that's the thinking behind heavy/light alternating. It goes as such, with the weight adjusted accordingly.

Week 1&3 - 3-5 reps

Week 2&4 - 6-12 reps

Week 5 - 1-3 reps

I find this helps me to stay fresh, I either improve in weight pb or weight for reps. I know Terry Hollands at one point was DL twice a week to get up to 450kg PB but there are quite some differences between him and I!

The exercises you mentioned are in my plan already, I've actually got a DL session on weds so I'll be noting it all down here. 

Yes terry Holland's training is not comparible.  A lot of the lighter strongmen (PBS in high 200s, low 300s) deadlift multiple times a week.  There lighter sessions don't always make social media as it's not heavy and cool!

I deadlift 3 times a week and have done 5 on occasions.

Deadlifting is a skill which needs practicing and perfecting.  Doing it once a week at heavy loads you are missing out on gains from technique improvements and neuromuscular adaptions.  Obviously I'm not suggesting you go heavy every session.

I have a heavy session, moderate and light. Light is 50% to 60% 1rm. Sets of 3. 8 to 10 sets focusing on perfecting position and speed off the floor.

Screenshot_20200628_225438.jpg

On 2020/6/28 at 10:55 PM, lancs_lad said:

Deadlifting is a skill which needs practicing and perfecting. 

100% agree.

On 2020/6/28 at 10:55 PM, lancs_lad said:

I have a heavy session, moderate and light. Light is 50% to 60% 1rm

This is what I do except I spread it out over once a week. Deadlifting heavy, each session, isn't going to get anyone anywhere and is only going to make one go backwards. 

Reason I do it once a week, the CNS, PNS and adrenal gland need time to recover, since the Deadlift hits the whole body so hard. So many motor neurones are being used it's very easy to fatigue,lose form etc.

The extra recovery time means I can take full advantage of those adaptions, because I pretty much PR every other 2/3 weems on this format, whether it's a rep PR or weight PR. Last week I did 100kg for 20 reps, 4  weeks ago it was for 16. This week I'll be aiming for 170kg for a triple which again will be a rep PR at that weight. 

For me, I prefer once a week but I know other things work for other people!

Deadlifts today!

Warm up:

Internal and external banded hip rotation, banded ankle mobility work, Glute kickbacks, Abduction and adduction of legs, plank

Workout (all in kg)

Pendlay row: Bar x 8, bar x 8, 60 x 6

Deadlifts: 60 x 6, 90 x 3, 120 x 3, 140 x 1, 160 x 1, 170 x 3

Landmine row: 60 x 6, 60 x 6, 60 x 6

Left it at that as it was pretty close to max effort. 3rd rep on top set was a little bit loose, started to slow down at mid-thigh. Training partner went for 190. He got it to mid thigh, I decided against it, glutes were screaming at me. Had cold bath (about 12°) for 10mins and a warm one after, I hate it but I always feel better the day after. Next Deadlift session is next week, will be max sets of 100kg for 12.

Been busy recently so not been updating. 

Only did the one session which was last weds. Because of the extra rest, decided to stick with my schedule rather than put myself a week back.

After warm ups, went straight into deadlift. 

Workout (all in kg)

Deadlifts: 60 x 6, 90 x 6, 120 x 6, 140 x 6, 160 x 4

Bent over row: 40 x 8, 40 x 8, 40 x 8, each was superset with green banded row. Apparently that's 40-80kg in resistance. 

Plate curl: 5kg each hand X 12, 3 sets

Single arm Band curl: red band (10-30kg) X 12, 3 sets. Think of a cable curl. 

Decent session and felt good after it. Did chest on Saturday and shoulders on Tuesday. Been having tight left hip for a few days now, which I think is partly dietary (not enough greens and fats) and mostly not walking around enough due to sitting at work. Did some rehab work on it yesterday and felt better. Did again today but didn't seem to settle as well. My external rotation on my left hip isn't as good as it usually is at the moment. Warmed it up a bit more and went into legs, kept it light with 3 working sets of 80x6 and then 3 of 90x6. Hip felt fine. Followed with static lunges and then Romanian Deadlift to finish. Walked up stairs back into the flat and its aching again, down my vastus lateralis. Just had a cold bath and going to rub some ointment on it. Tomorrow will see extent of damage, if there is any and work on my hips with some bands and appropriately placed rolling, not on the ITB

So, pain was so bad, that I could barely walk without some pain, even sitting was bad. Decided to go to sports massage, and after talking with him, it's probably because I changed my deadlift stance a bit more narrow. The stabilisers in my glutes were so tight that we could barely move my leg on the internal hip rotation. Painful work and going back today for some more. 

Advised to keep with Deadlift but light. So did 80kgx15 yesterday, on that Stance and was absolutely fine, but hips are still tight so getting them worked on. 

Really disappointed that my hip keeps tightening up. Continuing to see the physio, which is helping a lot. In the meantime, I'm doing more bodybuilding style of training, and actually taking deadlifts and Squats out of my sessions until September, which in reality is only 3/4 weeks. 

I'm reprogramming to do narrow stance leg presses for reps, hip abduction and adduction machine, rack pulls and lower back machine to improve the strength in my hips. 

Additionally, using resistance bands, and warming up with pistol Squats is making a massive difference to my hip. I'm inclined to say that during lockdown I wasn't doing these so much hence the tightening up!

Trained back today, earlier than normal, 12noon. Surprised how good my session was, considering I'm usually training at 5 or 7 pm. 

Pullover 3x8

Bent over row 60kgx10 4 sets. Slightly more upright angle. But not quite a Yates row.

Lat pulldown 49kgx 12 4 sets

Single arm machine row 20kg each arm x 10 3 sets

Rear delt machine 2x12

3 sets abs 

Ran out of gas on the rear delt machine, normally used to training on 4/5 meals but obviously as trained earlier had less fuel.  Hip was fine, as you'd expect, not playing me up today so next back session will do rack pull from just below the knee and see what happens

13 minutes ago, Tonysco said:

Have you been doing assistance work to strengthen the hips?

Not today, but I've been having deep tissue massage and part of my leg workout is doing adductors, abductors and glute work. At home I use bands for internal and external hip rotation, emphasis on internal rotation at the moment though

Worked up to 270kg deadlifting 1x and block pulling 1x per week and squatting 2x per week.

As @lancs_lad has mentioned deadlifting is a skill and at sub 300kg there is no reason properly programmed training should be leaving you so exhausted that you cannot recover from two deadlift sessions per week if not one and a close variant.

Its fine if you don't want to do this, it's just practicing what you want to be good at is the fastest way to get better at it and unless you are in your 50s, have a medical condition or eating like a bikini competitor there is no reason other than poor programming or choice that you could not pull twice per week.

A good friend of mine is honing in on pulling 360kg and he deadlifts a heavy single once per week and low handle trap bar deadlifts once per week for a triple at most

He trains largely autoregulatory and doesn't squat when trying to improve his deadlift and the same vice versa 

Opting for something like a leg press to stimulate quad growth without axial loading.

"To deadlift a lot you must deadlift a lot" 

- can't remember who said it.

On 2020/8/13 at 10:29 AM, swole troll said:

Its fine if you don't want to do this, it's just practicing what you want to be good at is the fastest way to get better at it

You're right it definitely needs to be considered. In the past I've never been able to program it correctly, mostly because my gym buddy has never been able to keep up, ( he eats, not a lot let's say...! Even though he's 18st) maybe I should be a bit more selfish...

On 2020/8/13 at 10:29 AM, swole troll said:

To deadlift a lot you must deadlift a lot

Sounds like Sigmarsson!

My hip is almost recovered, so once I'm all moved into my new place, I'll float an idea that's been in my head for a while about DL 2x week. I just know I'm gonna miss squatting (crying face)

Why so much focus on the deadlift mate? Genuine question.

Just had a look through your logs. Your training is a bit wishy washy IMO for someone targeting one lift in general.

I feel it’s important that you understand that you can improve your deadlift without deadlifting, exercise selection is crucial.

For instance, there’s no direct lower back work which is imperative for a strong deadlift and or squat. 

Go on elite FTS website and read through their articles and workouts. The amount of free information on their site is obscene. 

Take a look at the Westside Book Of Methods and research conjugate training. Apply it to your training and you won’t have to squat or deadlift for 3 months. By the time you come around to doing either again you’ll be overwhelmed by your own efforts.

I competed in strongman for a few years. Yes I got very strong through my own way of training but I do regret not applying a conjugate approach as I know I would have gotten even stronger. That’s not a fault as I wasn’t aware of conjugate training.

Saying that, I applied a conjugate approach to a block of training after a 2 year lay off from strongman and got all new PBs.

On 2020/8/15 at 6:46 PM, Endomorph84 said:

there’s no direct lower back work which is imperative for a strong deadlift and or squat. 

The workouts in the log were before the gyms re-opening, hence finding it difficult to do hypertensions, lower back machine extension, planks and cable rows I used to do. Ironically I injured myself the week before the gyms opened.

Your training is a bit wishy washy

You're right, and it comes back to what I said to swole troll I just need to more selfish in my training. I've actually changed training partners to my wife now and my sessions are so much better now

Why so much focus on the deadlift mate

It's the only lift I'm halfway competitive on and, for me, when I have a good Deadlift, a lot of my other lifts go up. Plus I train at a bodybuilding gym not a PL/strongman gym, so next to no-one here deadlifts lol. I'm 14stone but feel small, so the deadlift makes up for it I guess! 

competed in strongman for a few years

Can you link to a log or something of yours? I love strongman but would need a lot of work to even consider entering the u95!

And thanks for the advice re the conjugate method, I'll take a look at it and let you know

20 hours ago, Iron Lou said:

The workouts in the log were before the gyms re-opening, hence finding it difficult to do hypertensions, lower back machine extension, planks and cable rows I used to do. Ironically I injured myself the week before the gyms opened.

You're right, and it comes back to what I said to swole troll I just need to more selfish in my training. I've actually changed training partners to my wife now and my sessions are so much better now

It's the only lift I'm halfway competitive on and, for me, when I have a good Deadlift, a lot of my other lifts go up. Plus I train at a bodybuilding gym not a PL/strongman gym, so next to no-one here deadlifts lol. I'm 14stone but feel small, so the deadlift makes up for it I guess! 

Can you link to a log or something of yours? I love strongman but would need a lot of work to even consider entering the u95!

And thanks for the advice re the conjugate method, I'll take a look at it and let you know

You can do good mornings with a barbell, nothing else actually comes close.

My workout was logged on a spreadsheet, ill find it for you and pass it over. It was very basic mind but it worked.

I didn't switch accessory exercises in and out like conjugate suggests as I trained in a commercial Gym and had limited equipment.

You'll have to change the exercise selections on the upper sessions as OHP was the primary push. I used DB bench press/ chest exercise as  assistance.

Don't worry how much you weigh mate, its all relevant lb for lb.

Eat for your goals, apply basic principles, train hard and you will get stronger, you cant not.

little slow to join the party .. but im one of the resident strongman competitors in here, although nothing special

I remember my first 5 plate deadlift, funny thing is I wasnt training for it .. I had a 200kg for reps in a competition in June, I done it for 4 reps, which was a PB as I only done it for a single the first time 3 weeks prior to the comp .. but after that my next couple of comps were lower weight for reps, 180kg .. so I just trained never going high than 180, doing lots of volume, some deficit pulls some snatch grip pulls some pause pulls .. but after 5 months of this and the two reps comps out of the way, I had a comp with a max deadlift in .. I planned a peak for the sessions leading up to the comp which I'll put below, but remember I'd never went higher than 200kg previously and only done that twice in my life 

200 3x3

210 3x2

220 2x2

230 2x1

comp day, pulled - 180, 200, 220, 240 and failed 260, although I believe I had 250 in me if we were allowed 10kg jumps .. technically a 50kg PB that day

my point of this long winded post, reps and variations will get you stronger .. not just pulling heavy 

On 2020/8/17 at 4:14 PM, Endomorph84 said:

You can do good mornings with a barbell, nothing else actually comes close.

My workout was logged on a spreadsheet, ill find it for you and pass it over. It was very basic mind but it worked.

I didn't switch accessory exercises in and out like conjugate suggests as I trained in a commercial Gym and had limited equipment.

You'll have to change the exercise selections on the upper sessions as OHP was the primary push. I used DB bench press/ chest exercise as  assistance.

Don't worry how much you weigh mate, its all relevant lb for lb.

Eat for your goals, apply basic principles, train hard and you will get stronger, you cant not.

Thanks mate. Will keep a lookout for it! 

On 2020/8/18 at 10:28 AM, JLawson90 said:

my point of this long winded post, reps and variations will get you stronger .. not just pulling heavy 

Yes and I think that is a lot of what I've been missing! 

On 2020/8/18 at 10:28 AM, JLawson90 said:

I just trained never going high than 180, doing lots of volume, some deficit pulls some snatch grip pulls some pause pulls

Well, been MIA this week due to moving in to a new place and decidedly demolishing it. The rest from the gym has done me good and moving the wheelbarrow with all the nasty stuff the previous owners left seems to have done my hip stabilizers good! Looking forward to getting back in the gym next week and getting some more gym equipment for the man cave over time. 

Btw, anyone want any 50kg plates? I'm not getting as much use out of them as I hoped lol

On 8/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, Iron Lou said:

btw, anyone want any 50kg plates? I'm not getting as much use out of them as I hoped lol

how much and where you located?