delbo

P/P/O/L/O repeat 5 day split

hi guys im starting the above split when i go back to gym on july 10th

push day will look like this for example:

chest compound 2 sets

shoulder press 2 sets

side laterals 3 sets 

tricep iso 2 sets

each set will be very intense almost going to failure and trying to progress with weight each week

my pull and leg days will have similar setup however im wondering is 2 sets for each exercise enough for hypertrophy or is a third required guys? asking you guys as a lot of you have more experience and would know better than me whats optimal. any help appreciated

12 hours ago, delbo said:

hi guys im starting the above split when i go back to gym on july 10th

push day will look like this for example:

chest compound 2 sets

shoulder press 2 sets

side laterals 3 sets 

tricep iso 2 sets

each set will be very intense almost going to failure and trying to progress with weight each week

my pull and leg days will have similar setup however im wondering is 2 sets for each exercise enough for hypertrophy or is a third required guys? asking you guys as a lot of you have more experience and would know better than me whats optimal. any help appreciated

Even if you were capable for the levels of intensity required for a very low volume approach to work, I feel you need a touch more volume in there. Take chest for example, you ideally want 6-8 work sets minimum across the week. 

Your chest will be worked during the shoulder press assuming it’s not a completely upright press. But even so, I’d add in a fly variation for 2 sets.

When I originally did a PPL variation, Jordan Peters did my programming and IIRC push was something like this;

3 rotations, chest focus, shoulder focus and triceps focus. Chest was -

Warm up exercise - fly, 20-30 reps

Incline BB press, 2 sets, 8-10 then 12-15

Seated military press, 2 sets, 8-10 then 12-15

Weighted dips, 3 sets, 8-10 x2 and 12-15

Flat fly variation, 3 sets, 12-15

Cable lateral raise, 1 set per arm, 6x4

Tricep push down, 1 set rest pause

Something like that. All exercises included warm up sets which were generally pyramiding up to the working set and time in the gym was around 60-75 minutes.

3 hours ago, Bensif said:

Even if you were capable for the levels of intensity required for a very low volume approach to work, I feel you need a touch more volume in there. Take chest for example, you ideally want 6-8 work sets minimum across the week. 

Your chest will be worked during the shoulder press assuming it’s not a completely upright press. But even so, I’d add in a fly variation for 2 sets.

When I originally did a PPL variation, Jordan Peters did my programming and IIRC push was something like this;

3 rotations, chest focus, shoulder focus and triceps focus. Chest was -

Warm up exercise - fly, 20-30 reps

Incline BB press, 2 sets, 8-10 then 12-15

Seated military press, 2 sets, 8-10 then 12-15

Weighted dips, 3 sets, 8-10 x2 and 12-15

Flat fly variation, 3 sets, 12-15

Cable lateral raise, 1 set per arm, 6x4

Tricep push down, 1 set rest pause

Something like that. All exercises included warm up sets which were generally pyramiding up to the working set and time in the gym was around 60-75 minutes.

That's exactly the advice I was after man can't thank you enough 

On 27/06/2020 at 11:12 AM, delbo said:

When I originally did a PPL variation

Interesting snippet - care to share? (of course without letting too many cats outta the bag!)