Sign in to follow this  
MrDB90

Should you be concerned about what type of meat you’re eating?

If you hit hit your protein and calorie target for the day, should you be concerned about what meat you’re eating?

While I enjoy the occasional plain chicken breast, I’d much rather eat steak, minted lamb, Chinese pork, marinated chicken etc. Is there any downside to eating fattier cuts of meat or marinated meat if it fits in with daily calorie and protein goal?

I track all my food but i don’t pay much attention to the quantity of carbs and fats I consume. 

My main goal is to lose fat.

8 minutes ago, MrDB90 said:

If you hit hit your protein and calorie target for the day, should you be concerned about what meat you’re eating?

While I enjoy the occasional plain chicken breast, I’d much rather eat steak, minted lamb, Chinese pork, marinated chicken etc. Is there any downside to eating fattier cuts of meat or marinated meat if it fits in with daily calorie and protein goal?

I track all my food but i don’t pay much attention to the quantity of carbs and fats I consume. 

My main goal is to lose fat.

Confused as to how you track all your food, are on a diet but don’t pay attention to your carb and fat intake?

Can you clarify?

Ultimately you can eat what ever you want... as long as it is within your calories for the day that allow you to maintain a caloric deficit. It may not be optimal, but thermodynamics reign supreme.

21 minutes ago, Bensif said:

Confused as to how you track all your food, are on a diet but don’t pay attention to your carb and fat intake?

Can you clarify?

Ultimately you can eat what ever you want... as long as it is within your calories for the day that allow you to maintain a caloric deficit. It may not be optimal, but thermodynamics reign supreme.

Apologies for the confusion, I know how many Grams carbs and fats I consumed yesterday, and every other day. What I meant was that I don’t focus on hitting a certain fat or carb consumption target. 

For example, yesterday I consumed 203grams of protein, 153 grams of carbs and 62 grams of fats. I just don’t pay attention to the actual figure. 

I think the last part of your comment answers my question though, thank you. 

Just now, MrDB90 said:

Apologies for the confusion, I know how many Grams carbs and fats I consumed yesterday, and every other day. What I meant was that I don’t focus on hitting a certain fat or carb consumption target. 

For example, yesterday I consumed 203grams of protein, 153 grams of carbs and 62 grams of fats. I just don’t pay attention to the actual figure. 

I think the last part of your comment answers my question though, thank you. 

Ahh I’m with you. So you set your protein, hit that, then focus on calories rather a specific macro split. Nothing wrong with that, as calories ultimately are what matters.

What you may find, by eating fattier / marinated meats is that you lose a fair few calories to these and may not be satiated. If that is the case, try saving it until dinner or your last meal.

eg eat a bit leaner throughout the day then have ribs for dinner. I eat ribs once a week but im not cutting :)

I wouldn’t eat red meat every day I have it at most 4 days a week. Makes me feel better knowing I’m not overdoing it on cholesterol. Whever you believe red meat contributes to high cholesterol is upto you but that’s for me personally.