Sign in to follow this  
mbt1990

3-4 exercise abbreviated routine help

I'm a huge fan of abbreviated routines and have for years, however I've only focused on the big six exercises (bench squat row deadlift press chins) which I made amazing gains on

However, as an experiment due to lack of time (keyworker) and also wanting to switch up so I'm wanting to do 1 of 2 routines with 3 or 4 exercises. So for my full body will I be covered?

Option 1

Squat (quads with some hams, and calves with plantoflexion)

Bench (chest shoulder tri)

Row (traps, rhomboids, lats, forearm, bicep, grip)

3x6-12 with 80% 1rm add weight when I get 3x12

Done twice a week

Option 2

Day 1

Squat 

Row

Day 2

Deadlift

Bench press

3x6-12 with 80% 1rm add weight when I get 3x12

I feel option 1 would be better, but what do you think, I'm an average guy that isnt competing but I want to get stronger.

Option 1 but 3x per week if you can. 

Manage volume over the week and keep an eye on fatigue. I’m a big fan of Full body 3x per week for guys wanting to simply add size and strength. It allows you to place a big focus on rest and nutrition.

1 hour ago, Bensif said:

Option 1 but 3x per week if you can. 

Manage volume over the week and keep an eye on fatigue. I’m a big fan of Full body 3x per week for guys wanting to simply add size and strength. It allows you to place a big focus on rest and nutrition.

Thanks for the reply buddy, due to recovery problems I'll have to drop it to 2 days a week unfortunately but I understand progress may be slower but at least I'm on the right path, I'm currently on a calorie surplus of 400kcal over maintenance so it's going well 

2 minutes ago, mbt1990 said:

Thanks for the reply buddy, due to recovery problems I'll have to drop it to 2 days a week unfortunately but I understand progress may be slower but at least I'm on the right path, I'm currently on a calorie surplus of 400kcal over maintenance so it's going well 

What is your issue with recovery?

1 minute ago, Bensif said:

What is your issue with recovery?

Due to the line of work, I'm getting up very early and working very late, so recovery is s**t, I try to counter it with lots of food, but I guess were all different, once this pandemic is over, I'll have more time.

With that in mind would option 1 be ok and hit my whole body?  Thankyou and stay safe :)

Just now, mbt1990 said:

Due to the line of work, I'm getting up very early and working very late, so recovery is s**t, I try to counter it with lots of food, but I guess were all different, once this pandemic is over, I'll have more time.

With that in mind would option 1 be ok and hit my whole body?  Thankyou and stay safe :)

Ah I see. Yes I still think option 1 is an option, perhaps Wednesday and Sunday, so at least one day you are fully rested from the night before.

4 minutes ago, Bensif said:

Ah I see. Yes I still think option 1 is an option, perhaps Wednesday and Sunday, so at least one day you are fully rested from the night before.

Thanks man, just dont see many advocating only squat - bench - row, even tho it pretty much hits everything, but I suppose people are used to higher volume/more exercises due to having the option available.

I can manage Monday and Thursday normally so I'll do that but I always make sure two days are apart

But all in all, thankyou very much for your support, take care :)