Sign in to follow this  
MANC12

Man and Van - decent income ?

Just had my garage recently cleared out and was wondering how much do these guys typically make.  Seems likes a easy start up. I paid £80 for a 45 min job.

23 minutes ago, MANC12 said:

Just had my garage recently cleared out and was wondering how much do these guys typically make.  Seems likes a easy start up. I paid £80 for a 45 min job.

Guy I use is £15 an hour. I think that's about standard. You got robbed. 

27 minutes ago, swole troll said:

Sounds like you hired a prostitute to clear out your garage. 

As above you got fleeced, half that would be steep ime

If so, please pm me details. My erm garage needs cleaning 

It's a priced job and sounds about the going rate, well it is where I'm from.

Cant see anyone making alot of profit charging £15 per hr to clear your garage, taking the mess away and tipping it legally. 

For example...

Hire a 8yd skip for £220 - you could say empty it in a couple hrs (I've actually done it myself after I threw something in that the mrs decides wasnt junk) 

So an 8yd skip worth of rubbish that would take 2 hrs max to load up in to a van should cost you £30....? No chance! 

If it was that cheap then everyone wouldnt bother with a skip, you would throw it on your drive and pay for man and van to pick it up. 

My mate does it and it’s always priced work around London at least.

At £15 an hour you wouldn’t make a penny. 

Even if you worked 12 hours a day there’s the time between jobs that you don’t get paid for, fuel, Van and the biggest expense is the dumping cost. 

Youd need £300 a day to clear anything reasonable.

£80 sounds about right for that job.

1 hour ago, SuperRips said:

It's a priced job and sounds about the going rate, well it is where I'm from.

Cant see anyone making alot of profit charging £15 per hr to clear your garage, taking the mess away and tipping it legally. 

For example...

Hire a 8yd skip for £220 - you could say empty it in a couple hrs (I've actually done it myself after I threw something in that the mrs decides wasnt junk) 

So an 8yd skip worth of rubbish that would take 2 hrs max to load up in to a van should cost you £30....? No chance! 

If it was that cheap then everyone wouldnt bother with a skip, you would throw it on your drive and pay for man and van to pick it up. 

Getting rid of domestic waste is an entirely different thing - most man and van outfits don't do that (unless they are cvnts and are going to fly tip it). It is a very expensive thing to do legitimately. Man and Van stuff is more light removals / larger item deliveries. 

After calling around it was the cheapest I could get in my area. A lot of mine was rubbish from the time i refurbished the home. Including wooden skirting boards, under liner, pipes, carpets and buckets and general waste from refurbishing home.

1 hour ago, MANC12 said:

After calling around it was the cheapest I could get in my area. A lot of mine was rubbish from the time i refurbished the home. Including wooden skirting boards, under liner, pipes, carpets and buckets and general waste from refurbishing home.

I bet they just dumped it somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Kazza61 said:

Getting rid of domestic waste is an entirely different thing - most man and van outfits don't do that (unless they are cvnts and are going to fly tip it). It is a very expensive thing to do legitimately. Man and Van stuff is more light removals / larger item deliveries. 

The problem is that even if it is domestic waste, if it’s carried in a van the dump will charge you regardless. If the exact same waste was in a car then it would be free to tip

Like monkeybiker said, £15 p/hr is a mugs game. Just no way is there any profit in that. 

Cleared one of my sheds out last month and it took a 6yd skip full to the brim, prob took me and my lad just over an hr to empty the shed. Skip cost me £140 mates rate. 

1 hour ago, js77 said:

The problem is that even if it is domestic waste, if it’s carried in a van the dump will charge you regardless. If the exact same waste was in a car then it would be free to tip

Funny thing is if it was in a people carrier it would be free even though a people carrier is basically a van. 

44 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

Funny thing is if it was in a people carrier it would be free even though a people carrier is basically a van. 

Vans are free if they’re not ‘trade’. I own a van(and car) of which neither is trade but the van does need a permit which is free from the council that operates your local tip. I THINK that my permit only allows for 8 visits per year or something. 
If you have a crew van(side windows) or mini bus, no permit is required and unlimited tip runs. I’ve owned both types. 

57 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

Exactly!!

9 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Vans are free if they’re not ‘trade’. I own a van(and car) of which neither is trade but the van does need a permit which is free from the council that operates your local tip. I THINK that my permit only allows for 8 visits per year or something. 
If you have a crew van(side windows) or mini bus, no permit is required and unlimited tip runs. I’ve owned both types. 

That’s the problem mate. 8 visits to the dump should just about cover a 6 week blast!!

14 minutes ago, js77 said:

Exactly!!

That’s the problem mate. 8 visits to the dump should just about cover a 6 week blast!!

My garden is a bit big so often have to do a tip run to get rid of stuff. Fcuk doing it for others. Haha. 

You couldnt trade with a van charging 15 bucks an hour ...youd go bust in a week...joe public aint got a clue about business never will.

9 hours ago, mal said:

You couldnt trade with a van charging 15 bucks an hour ...youd go bust in a week...joe public aint got a clue about business never will.

You get a lot of people expect them to make minimum wage. They ignore all there overheads and the extra hours they work because it's not just the time doing the jobs. People forget all the extra's they get with a regular job such as holiday pay/sick pay, paid breaks regular hours, steady dependable income. If some one is self employed and they are busy they deserve to make good money. 

27 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

You get a lot of people expect them to make minimum wage. They ignore all there overheads and the extra hours they work because it's not just the time doing the jobs. People forget all the extra's they get with a regular job such as holiday pay/sick pay, paid breaks regular hours, steady dependable income. If some one is self employed and they are busy they deserve to make good money. 

I know,  costs a mint being self employed..for me anyway..they think all the money they give you is yours and you earn too much etc...wish it was the case