Sign in to follow this  
Murali

After dumbbell bench press - neck becomes stiff for a few hours

After dumbbell bench press, I have felt my neck becoming stiff for a few hours. I don't feel like moving it too much during that time. Is this normal? or my technique may be bad? Are there any tips to keep the neck relaxed during dumbbell bench press? Like keeping the mouth open, or closing the eyes, etc.? As I guess only the chest needs to be under pressure during it?

8 hours ago, Murali said:

Is this normal?

Nope.

my technique may be bad?

Maybe

Are there any tips to keep the neck relaxed during dumbbell bench press?

Create a small arch in the lower back, push the shoulder blades into the pad, and push your chest out. Keep you neck natural, don't look down or up.

Can you sort out a vid and post it here?

I have made a small video of my action (with light dumbbells). Kindly advise if you see anything wrong with posture. My neck seems to become stiff for a few hours after 3 - 5 sets like this with heavier dumbbells. I don't have any health problem as such. Please check the below link for the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D_Y3bGBWgKf0sQP1PDF_9vJI-EFsxq7P/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Murali said:

I have made a small video of my action (with light dumbbells). Kindly advise if you see anything wrong with posture. My neck seems to become stiff for a few hours after 3 - 5 sets like this with heavier dumbbells. I don't have any health problem as such. Please check the below link for the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D_Y3bGBWgKf0sQP1PDF_9vJI-EFsxq7P/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

Looks ok to me mate.

When you lift with heavier weights what rep range do you use? 

Warm your rear delts and scapula up before benching 

High rep wide grip lat pulldown focusing on depressing and elevating the scapula every rep and band pull aparts, no where near failure, just get blood in the area then move onto your usual bench warm up. 

Thanks. Probably I am not sufficiently warmed up before dumbbell bench press, resulting in the stiffness behind my neck. I do 8 reps, 5 sets, the last 3 sets being 15 kg in each hand.. I don't have a lat pull down machine, can you suggest some other warmup with dumbbells? I have other options too like pushups, burpees, box jumps and skipping (jump rope) for warmup. Will that work in getting the blood to the delt area before benching? Thanks.

6 hours ago, Murali said:

Thanks. Probably I am not sufficiently warmed up before dumbbell bench press, resulting in the stiffness behind my neck. I do 8 reps, 5 sets, the last 3 sets being 15 kg in each hand.. I don't have a lat pull down machine, can you suggest some other warmup with dumbbells? I have other options too like pushups, burpees, box jumps and skipping (jump rope) for warmup. Will that work in getting the blood to the delt area before benching? Thanks.

some bent over dumbbell rows, rowing high up, focusing on retracting the scapula at the top of each rep and allowing your arms to fully hang and open up the scapula on the eccentric 

Thanks, I will incorporate this warm up and let you know after a few days if I notice improvements.

Just be sure to treat it as a warm up 

Higher reps, no where near failure 

This is just about loosening up any stiffness and getting blood into the opposing muscle groups

2x20 with a light weight should suffice

Then move onto your bench press warm up

On 04/06/2020 at 5:42 PM, swole troll said:

High rep wide grip lat pulldown focusing on depressing and elevating the scapula every rep and band pull aparts, no where near failure, just get blood in the area then move onto your usual bench warm up. 

This.

I reckon the problem is lordosis. Add in some upper back/scapula work like face pulls, pull aparts, and rowing variations.

On 6/4/2020 at 10:12 PM, swole troll said:

Thanks, warming up my scapula by pullups/ lat pull down using band seems to get me a better feeling when I move to bench press, and neck is also in a good shape. However, 2 months back, when I was not doing this and directly starting with dumbbell bench press, that too doing sometimes twice a day with heavy weights, one day while keeping the dumbbells slowly down, while lying on the bench, I got a sharp pain behind my neck left side behind my left ear (at the base of skull). I guess I tore a muscle there, I used to feel pain while moving my head. I stopped doing all exercises for 1 and half month and started doing just lat pull downs recently. My neck became much better and I could move it fully without pain. However, sometimes (may be once a week), there is pain at the same point (behind my neck left side, even when I am not doing anything. the pain stays for a few hours). And on those days, I feel it better not to move my head too much (it is as good as a stiff neck). Have you seen this situation earlier? Any suggestions you can give? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Murali said:

Thanks, warming up my scapula by pullups/ lat pull down using band seems to get me a better feeling when I move to bench press, and neck is also in a good shape. However, 2 months back, when I was not doing this and directly starting with dumbbell bench press, that too doing sometimes twice a day with heavy weights, one day while keeping the dumbbells slowly down, while lying on the bench, I got a sharp pain behind my neck left side behind my left ear (at the base of skull). I guess I tore a muscle there, I used to feel pain while moving my head. I stopped doing all exercises for 1 and half month and started doing just lat pull downs recently. My neck became much better and I could move it fully without pain. However, sometimes (may be once a week), there is pain at the same point (behind my neck left side, even when I am not doing anything. the pain stays for a few hours). And on those days, I feel it better not to move my head too much (it is as good as a stiff neck). Have you seen this situation earlier? Any suggestions you can give? Thanks.

It's very hard to diagnose this kind of thing over a forum

I mean from what I understand this isn't even lifting related then? which is something you should be discussing with your doctor not an internet forum.