Sign in to follow this  
thisismyhobby

Post your go to bulking routine on AAS

I could do with a new routine when the gyms open up as ive been doing the same for ages now 

Ive always done a lot of volume but thinking of lowering the volume slightly and increasing the frequency 

be interested to hear what has given you guys the best results

its exactly the same as when i'm on a cruise. many others are probably the same, so its not really that exciting.

autoregulated intensity, block mesocycle volume progression. its either upper/lower 4 days per week, or fullbody push/fullbody pull 4 days per week.

only difference between cruise and bulk is that an RPE of 8-9 is usually 2 more reps than on the cruise.

Legs, push, pull, always.

1 or 2 hamstring exercises on pull day, allowing for more volume for quads on leg day.

on cycle or on cruise, training remains the same. I usually take an extra rest day per week on a cruise to allow my body more recovery before going on a blast again, and hitting 5 hard training sessions weekly.

19 hours ago, thisismyhobby said:

I could do with a new routine when the gyms open up as ive been doing the same for ages now 

Ive always done a lot of volume but thinking of lowering the volume slightly and increasing the frequency 

be interested to hear what has given you guys the best results

PPLPPL 6 on 1 off 

Im with @godsgifttoearth; routine doesn’t change based on the block I am in. Sometimes I will structure my training blocks so that I move to giant sets during a mini cut, but beyond that my offseason will be based around shorter strength blocks and then hypertrophy blocks. 

I also like to rotate to between 5 day splits and 3 day splits.

I only differ in that I don’t really subscribe to the RPE / RIR thing. Purely because I just feel for me, it’s a step too far (for me) towards over thinking my training

12 minutes ago, stuey99 said:

PPLPPL 6 on 1 off 

Do you find this works okay with only one rest day a week?

I'm torn between trying a PPL routine like this for the first time in my 27 years of training but then I hear top pros and amateurs saying that if you don't need a rest day by the 3rd day then you're not training hard enough. 

I've been doing a bro-split Monday to Friday for quite a while now and it feels like it's getting a bit stale. 

23 minutes ago, JHMuscle said:

Do you find this works okay with only one rest day a week?

I'm torn between trying a PPL routine like this for the first time in my 27 years of training but then I hear top pros and amateurs saying that if you don't need a rest day by the 3rd day then you're not training hard enough. 

I've been doing a bro-split Monday to Friday for quite a while now and it feels like it's getting a bit stale. 

Yeah it works ok mate...if it didn't, I wouldn't do it :lol:

You hear people say alot of things mate but you only know what works for you if you try it

I'm always a bit lost to know what a bro split is lol, I'm guessing you mean one bodypart a day? Yeah, that's what alot of pros do as well, but for me I find it far from optimal 

Just bear in mind you need to up calories appropriately for a split like this...in most cases, overtraining is really just under eating

2 minutes ago, Cronus said:

sexy x

Decent legs tbf

Thanks, that’s the benefit of a programme that has you squat 3 times a week but only bench once!

9 minutes ago, swole troll said:

Do people actively try not to train hard when not on steroids :confused1:

Why not just eat right and train hard year round and let the performance enhancing drugs do just that?

Thanks, but Id rather take more drugs than trainer harder

4 minutes ago, thisismyhobby said:

how many sets do you guys do on average?

That’ll vary mate.

Majority of the time I ramp up weight to have 1 set per exercise. Where the first exercise will have 3-4 warm up sets, the second exercise will have 1-2 warm up sets tops.

For a Push (chest dominant) session I’m looking at around 8-10 working sets per session.

4 chest exercises, 2-3 delts, 2 tris.

I always pair Quads & Calves with Pull sessions so I’m looking around 8-10 working sets again. 

4 back, 2 bicep, 2 quad, 1 calve.

If I don’t get my target rep range then I do a back off set. 

If I’m trying to bring up a lagging body part then I may do an additional set.

I pretty much train the same year round.

PPL, rest and repeat...

I alternate between low and high reps with compounds so lower reps for a 3 day cycle followed by 3 days of higher rep work.  Keeps things fresh for me.

7 hours ago, stuey99 said:

Yeah it works ok mate...if it didn't, I wouldn't do it :lol:

You hear people say alot of things mate but you only know what works for you if you try it

I'm always a bit lost to know what a bro split is lol, I'm guessing you mean one bodypart a day? Yeah, that's what alot of pros do as well, but for me I find it far from optimal 

Just bear in mind you need to up calories appropriately for a split like this...in most cases, overtraining is really just under eating

Yeah fair dos - just one of these things you have to try and find out for yourself. 

The routine I was doing for a number of years is based on the old Dorian Yates HIT style training where I would do shoulders and tris on Monday, Tuesday was back, Wednesday off, Thursday chest and biceps and Friday legs with the whole weekend to recover after killing myself on legs. Then I found as I got older I wasn't able to use the same volume and intensity combined on the leg days so I started doing hamstrings and calves on my Wednesday rest day in order to bring them up in line with my quads (which I'm happy to say after 2 or 3 years of doing this it seems to have worked. Quads would be trained on their own on Fridays.

That's why I don't have too many reservations about trying the PPL routine because if I could get away with 5 days then I should be able to do 6.

By the way I've no idea why I used the term "bro split" - it seems to be used to describe any type of training routine these days that isn't PPL! :lol: 

14 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

That’ll vary mate.

Majority of the time I ramp up weight to have 1 set per exercise. Where the first exercise will have 3-4 warm up sets, the second exercise will have 1-2 warm up sets tops.

For a Push (chest dominant) session I’m looking at around 8-10 working sets per session.

4 chest exercises, 2-3 delts, 2 tris.

I always pair Quads & Calves with Pull sessions so I’m looking around 8-10 working sets again. 

4 back, 2 bicep, 2 quad, 1 calve.

If I don’t get my target rep range then I do a back off set. 

If I’m trying to bring up a lagging body part then I may do an additional set.

Appreciate the response mate.

Discounting warm up sets, Im doing an average of about 20 sets per workout. 

For example, chest would look something like this

Bench 4-5 working sets

Incline 3-4 working sets

Flys 3-4 working sets

Then Shoulders/Tris. 

Starting to think it may be a bit unnecessary.

I'll get some stick for this but I've never fully committed to a bulk whilst Ive been on AAS. Probably because I've never been lean enough to begin with and then get pissed off being fat + bloated.

But thanks to lockdown im actually lean now. Really want to commit to a proper bulk and want to make sure I get it right hence coming across as a bit of newbie, probably overthinking!

16 hours ago, swole troll said:

Do people actively try not to train hard when not on steroids :confused1:

Why not just eat right and train hard year round and let the performance enhancing drugs do just that?

The only differece for me when I move from cruise to blast, is I go from training each body part once to twice a week

I always vary rep ranges and movements, but never vary from PPL

For me I just feel it gives me more bang for my buck and more flexibility if there's a day I can't train for some reason 

1 hour ago, thisismyhobby said:

Starting to think it may be a bit unnecessary.

It is mate.

I've got nothing against higher volume, I do it sometimes. But IMO if you can do 15 working sets on chest then have enough in the tank to train delts and tris you aren't training hard enough.

This isn't bro science and I'm not saying  have to be screaming, shouting and clangin' & bangin' when lifting weights.

You're not overthinking mate, just remember effort = reward. You want to get the most out of the least amount of work possible.

HIT weight training isn't for everyone but 20+ sets in a workout is excessive IMO.

However, saying that. As long as you apply the basic principles you will get results.

:thumbup1:

Main lifts/volume

These days I do so many things that compete for my recovery resources, I just squat, bench and Olympic lift (as well as do BJJ, run, climb, met-con stuff and swimming) as frequently as I can while not allowing my RHR or HRV to get too out of whack.

Today for example, my RHR was 43 and my HRV is 167. So I'm going HAM later.

Accessory stuff

I do accessories too, but they are mostly still compound lifts (trap bar and regular DLs, GHRs, strict press, floor press, dips, handstand push-ups, pull-ups, Pendlay rows, a bit of triceps faff, blah). Most of my accessories for any given day rarely exceeds 6-8 sets total. I just try to stick with something until I exhaust it and then either change the rep range or rotate for something else.

Progression

I rarely if ever go to failure on anything.

I strongly believe that unless you are a giant already, then if you are getting significantly stronger at a compound lift then over time you are adding muscle.

My physique tends to bear this out as I never go anywhere near the volume some people do and rarely if ever use machines (which I acknowledge make high volume sets to failure much safer. I have nothing against people using them. I've tried before, I just end up fu**ing hating them and find anything like that so dull I'd rather break my own fingers than do another set of cable flyes or leg press as long as I live).

So an OL day might look like:

• Oly lifts or a progression/variation - up to a heavy double or single
  • GHRs - x4 xAMRAP
  • Pull-up - 3-6 sets of 6-12 reps
  • Triceps - some form of pushdown x2-3 x10-20

A non-OL day might look like:

• Bench - up to heavy triple then do 3-4 sets of doubles with it
  • High bar back squat - up to a heavy single, paused if I'm feeling good
  • Pendlay row - 3-6 sets of 6-12 reps
  • Biceps faff - see triceps

Frequency

And I'll repeat this sort of thing as often as I can. On top of this, I do a lot of sports and cardio. Low volume, full-body-ish training and plenty of cardio doesn't seem t stop me getting stronger or adding muscle.

Drugs

Absolutely none of this s**t changes at all from cruise to blast.