Sign in to follow this  
dtmiscool

Garden decking

Anyone had there garden decked out at all? 

Wondering how much it’ll cost to get 5mx3m decking laid. From looking briefly online without getting quotes it looks like it might cost around £600-£800 to get it prepped, membrane, laid, etc. A full install from start to finish. 

Would be helpful if anyone here has some some done and could chime in. 

Be interested to hear aswell.

The mrs has been on about us getting some decking at the bottom of our garden  roughly same size area as yourself but shes decided she wants the composite sort, she's paying for it all so I'm not fussed. 

Lost count of the amount of rotting decking I’ve ripped up and replaced with patio paving, it looks good at first but requires treating every year or so, goes very slippy in wet after a while, attracts rats and mice to live underneath and inevitably rots  and requires replacing. actually looked at a job this afternoon that involved replacing rotton decking With paving but refused as all materials had to go through house 

im biased but would personally pay extra get it paved nicely and it will last a lifetime 

Yeah I’d agree with block paviors, unless you need a raised ‘stage’ for the kids performances! I had a 3x3 deck out the back of my gym with a wall to north side, HD beams & noggings (so I could lift on it) south facing aspect so even got some sun in winter: kept the mould at bay, as did having no overhanging trees... piece of cake to sort in spring. 
Decking at my new 20 - right pain in the backside; cheaper, lighter construction - slippery as when wet. 

Paving next time for me!