EpicSquats

How many unemployed, how many working from home now?

52 minutes ago, EpicSquats said:

Because of Covid. Do you think unemployment has shot up? Are there still a lot of people working from home? Just wondering, cheers.

I didn't stop working, apparently I'm a key worker. When I'm out and about on the road all I'm seeing is people sunbathing in parks, lots of people. I assume they are all on ferlow. 2 of my friends have been laid off though 

I’m on furlough until end of next month which is when my contract is up. I was meant to start a new job for a different company a few days after that but they’ve pushed the start date back to September and made it 3 days a week instead of full time. :huh:

23 minutes ago, Frandeman said:

Wait for government stop paying people salaries then you will see :rolleye11:

Pretty much this.

Loads of people thinking it's great sat in the sun, not wanting it to end, but it hasn't dawned on them that they probably don't have a job anymore. 

3 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

Pretty much this.

Loads of people thinking it's great sat in the sun, not wanting it to end, but it hasn't dawned on them that they probably don't have a job anymore. 

So what should they be doing instead? 

Working from home, pretty much nCoV research literature reviews, data sets on infectious rates, and advisory stuff. No lab work, no hospitals.

Can't afford to take the risk as my mum is very ill and my 75 year old dad is her full time carer, so we're doing their shopping and mum's prescription pick ups.

I'm assuming quite a few have returned to work. I've been working right through this and at the beginning, everywhere was dead. Motorway service stations, had 2 other cars in the car park and were closed apart from toilets and one shop. Now there's traffic again in the morning, almost to the level you get when just the schools are off. Service stations are nearly fully open but with a silly one way systems in place and the car parks are pretty full again. 

Either that or every other fucker apart from me, was off on their jollies to the beach.

2 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Pick fruit apparently...

But my point was that there are many stating they don’t want it to end, opposed to me having an issue with the furlough scheme. I’ve had many mates tell me they don’t want it to end. They have no idea what we’re about to head in to. So many are oblivious to it. The recession is going to be rough.

FWIW I think the furlough scheme is a phenomenal achievement even though we’ll end up paying for it for decades. Hopefully it will lead to a U shaped recession rather than L. Otherwise it’s welcome to 2008 again...

3 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

Pick fruit apparently...

But my point was that there are many stating they don’t want it to end, opposed to me having an issue with the furlough scheme. I’ve had many mates tell me they don’t want it to end. 

FWIW I think the furlough scheme is a phenomenal achievement even though we’ll end up paying for it for decades. Hopefully it will lead to a U shaped recession rather than L. Otherwise it’s welcome to 2008 again...

I think this will be a lot worse than the 2008 recession. I think more businesses and jobs will be lost than back then and the public money used to bail out the banks was mostly paid back. All the money  going on furlough and other relief schemes will have to be paid back by the taxpayer. 

Had to laugh watching the daily briefing today when the Sunak character was going on about how generous all the schemes rolled out by the government were, as if it's the government's money!

3 hours ago, Frandeman said:

Wait for government stop paying people salaries then you will see :rolleye11:

Yep pretty much this. I'm a postman so have been working throughout. The volume of shite people are ordering is an absolute joke. We are busier than Xmas, I'd suspect most are better off on 80% wage than 100% with travel food etc expenses. 

I think they are going to be in for a nasty shock when they have no job to go back to and have spunked the last couple months wages on clothes and make up

1 hour ago, invisiblekid said:

Pick fruit apparently...

But my point was that there are many stating they don’t want it to end, opposed to me having an issue with the furlough scheme. I’ve had many mates tell me they don’t want it to end. They have no idea what we’re about to head in to. So many are oblivious to it. The recession is going to be rough.

Unlike many, I have savings and have done for years, I’m gonna get fcuked over whichever way. All I can do is hope for the best. 

Its a s**t sandwich. 

8 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Unlike many, I have savings and have done for years, I’m gonna get fcuked over whichever way. All I can do is hope for the best. 

Its a s**t sandwich. 

You're right mate. I'm in a similar position by the sounds of it. Be thankful for those times you went without and put money aside. It'll serve you well. I'd be nervous if I was carrying debt other than a mortgage right now. I work in IT for a construction consultancy services company. Our turnover is down 75% right now. The only thing keeping half our staff in a job is the furlough scheme. That's what my early point was. I wasn't trying to be a smart arse, if that's how it came across.

3 hours ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Getting a new job in the many industries crying out for workers 

1 hour ago, strawberry123 said:

Yep pretty much this. I'm a postman so have been working throughout. The volume of shite people are ordering is an absolute joke. We are busier than Xmas, I'd suspect most are better off on 80% wage than 100% with travel food etc expenses. 

I think they are going to be in for a nasty shock when they have no job to go back to and have spunked the last couple months wages on clothes and make up

I think people have been trying to get their fix and that stimulation, much due to boredom. I've been guilty of spending the money I have spare from commuting, parking, gym membership, Sky Sports etc. on things I've been putting off for ages. I've still been putting money aside though and I'm expecting anything up to a 20% salary cut very soon.

Unemployment has nearly doubled since the start of this.

Amazing isn't it, doubled in less than 20 weeks.

It shows you how fragile the economy can be, and how crap the decision to keep fit and healthy people out of work was.

I work at the land rover site at solihull I've been on furlough for 3months now and have been told I wont be back till Aug at the very least and with rumours kicking about its knocked me down and started to depress me with running a house and taking care of the misses and a little girl and another 1 on the way in the next month or so it's a real scary place to be in mental thinking it over and over again 

3 hours ago, Barry0121 said:

I work at the land rover site at solihull

Feel for you fella. I remember being short of money when I had a toddler and the Mrs with another on the way. That was a few years ago and both my kids are teenagers now.

I’ve got a mate who works at your place too. He’s reasonably optimistic. Theres plenty of work in Birmingham and the surrounding areas so try not to get too downhearted.